Fort Wilderness AND vintage camper newbie - help!

Hi,

I am a WDW "pro" with 40 years and 50 trips of experience but am brand new to camping. Our 1967 Scotty Highlander is scheduled to be finished in December and we are camping in January!  A few specific questions:  We are scheduled in at loop 1500 tents etc. We need only water and electricity hook ups, we are very LOWWW tech and probably will have a lot of trouble learning that. Our vintage canned ham is only 15 feet long. We will be fine there right?   Next, how far from there to the boat dock? Would it be good to bring out beach bikes and ride to the boat dock where we could lock out bikes up? Would this work? We are in pretty good shape.  Would you recommend a golf cart? Kind of takes away the savings of camping though. Next, if we do need golf cart should we get it directly from Disney or is there an off site vendor that is good ( like with stroller and electric carts?)  Thanks y'all.   ANY tips completely appreciated. SEE YOU REAL SOON. Angeline and Kenny

You will be fine in 1500. I have stayed there many times in my T@B teardrop.

1500 is about half way in the middle of the campground that is a mile long. Bikes are a GREAT way to get around the campground. There are many places to lock your bikes at the marina and the outpost bus stop, and at the pool, stores, etc.

I'm sure you know this, but getting the 1500 loop is not guaranteed.  Lately, they have been putting groups on that loop, and regular folks get sent out to the 2000 loop.  That happened to me over Memorial Day weekend this year, and I saw it happen again just this past weekend, where a church group had almost every site in the loop reserved.  The odds are not in your favor, as there are only 20 campsites on the 1500 loop, but 69 on the 2000 loop.

That said, even if you get stuck on 2000, those bikes will work fine to get you around anywhere you need to go at the Fort.  To answer your question specifically, you're about 1/2 mile from the marina on the 1500 loop, and about 8/10 of a mile on the 2000 loop.

There are off-site places where you can rent a golf cart for about half of what Disney charges, but you have to go and get the cart and return it at the end of your trip.  In my opinion, that's not worth the hassle for a short stay, but is worth it if you're staying a week or so.  In your case, though, since you're set with bikes, I'd skip renting a cart for the entire length of your stay this trip, but I do suggest that you rent one from Disney for the day so you can "loop" around the Fort and see the sights.

TCD

Our family has always done fine just taking the "internal" buses that just go around the campground.  There is one bus that goes to Wilderness Lodge as part of it's loop.

Getting to the parks from the campground basically the same as other resorts, except for the added bonus of the boat to MK.

We use the buses or walk as we are always near the Meadows Trading Post which is about half way from either end of the Fort. In addition to the MK we make use of the water transportation to get to the WL and Contemporary hotels. From the Contemporary we will use the Monorail to get to Epcot or some of the other resorts.

12 hours ago, Roberta said:

I read that they just cracked down on that within the past few months.

I'm curious where you read this?  I don't recall that being said by anyone here on Fort Fiends.

I was just at the Fort this past weekend, and saw Tab trailers, other teardrops and one of those Scamp/Casita trailers all set up on the partial loops.

I am not aware of any crackdown- they continue to let guests put small travel trailers on the partial sites.

TCD

8 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I'm curious where you read this?  I don't recall that being said by anyone here on Fort Fiends.

I was just at the Fort this past weekend, and saw Tab trailers, other teardrops and one of those Scamp/Casita trailers all set up on the partial loops.

I am not aware of any crackdown- they continue to let guests put small travel trailers on the partial sites.

TCD

I read it on Voldemort before I realized I was on the wrong forum. Returning after a few years' absence I did a Google search and ended up there. 

Someone had mentioned that they had a partial site reserved and had a travel trailer. A long time member told them that they would not let them camp there, despite existing reservations, and would make them upgrade when they arrived. The person was very upset and I had a hard time picturing Disney doing that, but he is one of the so-called experts there, so I believed it.  

2 hours ago, Roberta said:

I read it on Voldemort before I realized I was on the wrong forum. Returning after a few years' absence I did a Google search and ended up there. 

Someone had mentioned that they had a partial site reserved and had a travel trailer. A long time member told them that they would not let them camp there, despite existing reservations, and would make them upgrade when they arrived. The person was very upset and I had a hard time picturing Disney doing that, but he is one of the so-called experts there, so I believed it.  

Ah, that explains it. The self-proclaimed experts on that site hardly ever visit the Fort. The only time they provide correct information is when they swipe it from over here. On the rare occasion that someone over there posts photos, chances are good that they stole those from here too. 

If you want accurate Fort Wilderness information, this is the only place on the internet to get it. 

TCD

3 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

If you want accurate Fort Wilderness information, this is the only place on the internet to get it. 

Got it! :rolleyes:  

I am hear-by wiping my brain clean of any of the silliness I have read over there. Don't plan on going back for more. I'm home here. 

Thanks for clearing that trailer info up for me. I felt so horrible for the woman it was told to. She never came back, so hopefully she called Disney and got the truth.