Hello, for our February trip, we will be camping at the Fort.

We have not been to Disney in nearly four years, since one of our adult sons was critically injured. December is our first "trial" trip back, but we are staying at POP to see how things go with him. 

We will be camping in our New-to-us Pop Up camper and have reserved a partial site. That means we will be in look 1500 or 2000. We need a site that is close to, preferably in view of, a comfort station. Although our son is back to looking normal, he has a suffered a severe TBI (traumatic brain injury) and will never been fully functional again. If we don't have a comfort station that can be seen from our site, it will make it difficult for him to find his way back. It's humiliating for for someone to go to the restroom with him, as he is 27 years old. He wants his independence back. 

A secondary request would be a someone private site. I realize the two requests sort of cancel each other out. The Comfort Station proximity is more important. With my son's PTSD, he gets stressed out with too many people in close proximity. He's on lots of meds, but only so much you can take before becoming a zombie. We are really looking forward to getting back into our Disney family traditions. We got our annual passes back this year, and praying all goes well in December. 

Anyway, I know sites can never be guaranteed, but I don't even have an idea of any specific site numbers that would be good for us. Thank you in advance for any suggestions. 

Roberta, sorry to hear about your son's health, but good for you and him to get back to camping. 

There will soon be other fiends along with the info you need about certain camp sites.  All I can recommend is to let Disney know what your family needs in the way of a camp site. 

2 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

.... All I can recommend is to let Disney know what your family needs in the way of a camp site. 

I second this. Disney is very good about accommodating families with special needs. 

In case you haven't found it here is the link to the link information page. Scroll down until you see the Loop Information header at the bottom.

http://www.fortfiends.net/index.html/accomodations/loop-information/

Here is a link to the video of the 1500 loop. There isn't one for the 2000 that I could find.

7 hours ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Roberta, sorry to hear about your son's health, but good for you and him to get back to camping. 

There will soon be other fiends along with the info you need about certain camp sites.  All I can recommend is to let Disney know what your family needs in the way of a camp site. 

Thanks! He has always loved camping and loved Disney. We started camping again early this year, and he has done really well. He enjoys the peaceful settings of camping and fishing. At our state parks, I'm very familiar with the loops, so know what sites to reserve. 

4 hours ago, keith_h said:

I second this. Disney is very good about accommodating families with special needs. 

In case you haven't found it here is the link to the link information page. Scroll down until you see the Loop Information header at the bottom.

http://www.fortfiends.net/index.html/accomodations/loop-information/

Here is a link to the video of the 1500 loop. There isn't one for the 2000 that I could find.

Thanks very much! I'm going to watch this right now! 

TCD is probably the resident expert on having a Pop-Up on the 1500 and 2000 loops. If anyone can recommend sites that will meet your needs, he can.

Also there are Google Earth files that show each site on each loop which you can use to at least get an idea of which ones will work for you.

During your trial trip you could also hop over to the Fort to see the sites in person if you have the time.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:15 PM, Avatab.... Steve said:

TCD is probably the resident expert on having a Pop-Up on the 1500 and 2000 loops. If anyone can recommend sites that will meet your needs, he can.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

As Travisma said, because the 2000 loop has two comfort stations, there are more sites on that loop that will meet the requested criteria than on the 1500 loop.

The sites closest to and in view of the 1500 loop comfort station are: 1501, 1502, 1503, 1504, 1505 and 1506.  Site 1501 backs up to the bus stop and is the first site on the loop -not very private.  Site 1503 is right next to the comfort station and the walkway to it- lots of foot traffic around that site.  1502 is across the loop road from the walkway to the comfort station, and is next to a mulched path that campers at the end of the loop use to access the comfort station.  There is also a tetherball court next to this site, where kids congregate.  So, there may be privacy issues with 1502.  That leaves only 1504, 1505 and 1506 which meet your criteria.

There are a lot of sites on 2000 that might work, especially around the comfort station that sits in the middle of the loop- sites 2025, 2027, 2030, 2033 and 2035 back up to the comfort station, and are in view of it.  Sites 2022, 2023, 2024, 2026, 2028 and 2029 are near the path to the comfort station, but because of trees and other campers, you can't necessarily see the comfort station from these sites.  This stretch of the 2000 loop is kind of quiet and private.  There are a bunch of sites close to the other comfort station, but since the bus stop is right behind that one, there is more foot traffic around there.

I agree with the suggestion that you tell Disney that you have a guest with special needs, and ask them to accommodate your request.  I'll bet they will do their best.

TCD

2001 is in sight of comfort station and is backed up to a stream with no one close to you, we were just in 2002 and that site is just around a curve in the road. No one is walking through or close to your site because of the location and is far enough away from the bus stop that the buses do not brother you, but is close enough to walk to bus with no problem. We decided the first 2 sites in 2000 loop are the best we have ever been in.

8 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That leaves only 1504, 1505 and 1506 which meet your criteria.

There are a lot of sites on 2000 that might work, especially around the comfort station that sits in the middle of the loop- sites 2025, 2027, 2030, 2033 and 2035 back up to the comfort station, and are in view of it.  Sites 2022, 2023, 2024, 2026, 2028 and 2029 are near the path to the comfort station, but because of trees and other campers, you can't necessarily see the comfort station from these sites.  This stretch of the 2000 loop is kind of quiet and private.  There are a bunch of sites close to the other comfort station, but since the bus stop is right behind that one, there is more foot traffic around there.

I agree with the suggestion that you tell Disney that you have a guest with special needs, and ask them to accommodate your request.  I'll bet they will do their best.

TCD

5 hours ago, BigTom said:

2001 is in sight of comfort station and is backed up to a stream with no one close to you, we were just in 2002 and that site is just around a curve in the road. No one is walking through or close to your site because of the location and is far enough away from the bus stop that the buses do not brother you, but is close enough to walk to bus with no problem. We decided the first 2 sites in 2000 loop are the best we have ever been in.

Thank you all so much! You guys are the best! 

These site numbers with descriptions are exactly what I was looking for. I don't take your help for granted. I appreciate the time and thought you have taken to give me answers. I will absolutely let Disney know of our needs. We want to go over and look around in December, but wasn't sure if they would let us in.  

17 hours ago, Roberta said:

We want to go over and look around in December, but wasn't sure if they would let us in.  

No reason why you couldn't take the boat or bus over, then the internal bus to the two loops, then walk the loops with a notebook and camera.  :ph34r:

If you need to drive they'll probably ask you to park and take the internal bus.  You could make a reservation at TE to get thru the gate, or just tell the guard what you're doing and they might say it's OK to drive the loops.  B)

On 11/15/2016 at 0:30 PM, Avatab.... Steve said:

No reason why you couldn't take the boat or bus over, then the internal bus to the two loops, then walk the loops with a notebook and camera.  :ph34r:

If you need to drive they'll probably ask you to park and take the internal bus.  You could make a reservation at TE to get thru the gate, or just tell the guard what you're doing and they might say it's OK to drive the loops.  B)

You know, it never even occurred to me to sneak in via internal transportation. :rolleyes:  That is a pretty good idea. The only problem would be the extra walking and that we have an ECV. Disney usually keeps us all pretty darn walked-out. I know we could still use the ECV on the buses, but would be quite a few loading and unloading events.

It would be so much easier if they would let us drive through. I have gotten fantastic site information here, that I feel I am prepared with my request, even if they deny us the drive-through. I will call and ask though. 

I'm not even sure why I made our first post-injury reservations at POP. My son only goes strong for maybe five hours a day. A Fort site would be so much more comfortable than sitting in a resort room. We can create our own privacy, if the site doesn't have enough. Just have to be in sight line of a comfort station. Our camper does have a bathroom, but with no dump site at the Fort, it's only for night time emergencies. And never for showers, as we would have way too much gray water to deal with. 

Just to clarify, you wouldn't need to sneak on the internal buses.  And Disney guest is welcome to tour any other resort, 

Also, you could take the boat from MK to FW, and then leave your son and husband on Crockett's Porch enjoying some lemonade or other beverage, and then just you go look at a few sites on the buses.  Just a thought.

Praying you have a wonderful trip!

I like Marty's idea of the porch rockers while you scope out the two loops. You could even leave them at POP or at a Park while you make a quick trip to the Fort.

Also, it has been suggested here before that if you need to dump your tanks when you leave, you could find an empty site with a sewer, back in, dump, then leave. :ph34r:

IIRC some here have been told to do just that by Fort CM's.

Of course if you ask 3 CM's you'll get 3 answers, but I can't see why that would be a problem.

I am sure you'll have a great time on both your trips in spite of any small problems you might run into.  B)

6 hours ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

Just to clarify, you wouldn't need to sneak on the internal buses.  And Disney guest is welcome to tour any other resort, 

Also, you could take the boat from MK to FW, and then leave your son and husband on Crockett's Porch enjoying some lemonade or other beverage, and then just you go look at a few sites on the buses.  Just a thought.

Praying you have a wonderful trip!

Thanks, yeah, I knew it was not against the rules to tour other resorts. I was just kind of joking around. We have toured many resorts, over the years, that we are not staying at. 

The boat is a good idea. 

5 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

I like Marty's idea of the porch rockers while you scope out the two loops. You could even leave them at POP or at a Park while you make a quick trip to the Fort.

Also, it has been suggested here before that if you need to dump your tanks when you leave, you could find an empty site with a sewer, back in, dump, then leave. :ph34r:

IIRC some here have been told to do just that by Fort CM's.

Of course if you ask 3 CM's you'll get 3 answers, but I can't see why that would be a problem.

I am sure you'll have a great time on both your trips in spite of any small problems you might run into.  B)

Thanks for that suggestion! I would have never thought of that. 

You are absolutely correct about getting different answers from every CM. I think that's standard Disney tradition in all parks and resorts. I'm just going to go ahead and do it. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/14/2016 at 9:36 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

That leaves only 1504, 1505 and 1506 which meet your criteria.

I just want to thank everyone that helped me out on this, with a special shout out to Tri-Circle-D for specific site suggestions. I had no clue what I was doing and could not have managed such a perfect trip without the help. 

I sent a fax specifically requesting one of these three sites, as a first option, and the ones suggested in 2000 as a secondary option. We were given site (censored.) It was a perfect site for us. 

Our son was able to navigate the bus and boat system to get himself to Magic Kingdom. This is a HUGE step in the process of regaining some of his independence. He has not mastered getting back yet, but hopefully by next trip. For this past week, we would just go meet him and go to other parks together. 

We all just loved the Fort. It was so intimidating, having been so many years since we've been there, our life is very different now. Even so, seeing it in the perspective of our current family dynamics it worked perfectly. We loved having our own camper with us, being able to have our own food with our own kitchen, and sleeping in our beds. It also totally rocked not having to drag all of our stuff a half mile in and out of our resort room! Just perfect! Thanks again. 

45 minutes ago, Travisma said:

We really like 15... wait, if I post it then everyone will want it.  Just remembered TCD's advice not to say how good a site is. :lol:

True.

I'm pretty sure I told both Marty and Roberta about 1504.  But, that was a while ago. Everything has changed since then. They cut down most of the trees to get rid of the tree rat infestation, and there's an unresolved issue with a leaking sewer pipe from the 1600 loop which is dumping raw sewage right behind the site.  And don't get me started about the fire ant infestation.  I thought the constant flooding and mud an the stench from the sewage would have gotten rid of them.  But no. And the tree rats didn't leave either.  They just made tree rat nests in the remaining trees and poison ivy vines. They come out at night, and have no fear of man.  They'll chew right into your camper or tent for this slightest crumb.  They have huge, razor sharp rat teeth, you know.

Stay away from 1504- it's awful.  Maybe the worst site in the Fort.  Same with the rest of 1500- it's terrible.  2000 is way nicer!

TCD