We will be staying at the Fort for Thanksgiving and I'm having a hard time figuring out the site in the 1400 loop. We are small kids so we don't want a site that backs up to the canal and would love to have a site with a little more woods/space around it for the kids to explore. What's the best site??? Our camper is a Jayco Jayflight with two slides. 

Welcome!!!!!! The inside Little Bear part of the loop is actually great for little kids because you don't have to worry about cars as much. When you request a site, most people think you do better if you give a description of what you want vs. a site #.

10 hours ago, Tey1006 said:

We will be staying at the Fort for Thanksgiving and I'm having a hard time figuring out the site in the 1400 loop. We are small kids so we don't want a site that backs up to the canal and would love to have a site with a little more woods/space around it for the kids to explore. What's the best site??? Our camper is a Jayco Jayflight with two slides. 

First of all... welcome!  

If you gontk tr App Store and type in "fort wilderness sites" our app will pop up.  You can use it to find a site that will work for you.   You can see actual pictures of the individual sites.  

Welcome!

Asking what site is best on a loop is a very subjective thing.

The Fort is packed at Thanksgiving time, so depending on when you will be arriving, you may not have a lot of sites to choose from.

As GDF said, the best strategy is to let the site assigners know what you're looking for.  In your case, your request should mention that you have young children and would like to be on the 1400 loop, but not on a site that backs up to the canal.  The site numbers for the site on the interior loop (Little Bear Path) are 1447 through 1461- any of those would be good for a family with young children.  I also like the sites that back up to the campfire area- but these are very popular- those are 1429, 1431, 1432, 1433 and 1435.

My final bit of advice:  Don't stress about your site selection.  Back in the days before internet, nobody knew anything about site choices.  You showed up and they assigned you a site.  I've camped in sites that I wouldn't have chosen for myself, and ended up liking them a lot. 

Have a great trip!  Thanksgiving is a great time to visit the Fort!

TCD