6 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Thanks for the input.  I entered the wrong mileage above... it's actually around 154k,   After after a diesel to pull, I'm not sure that we'd ever consider a gas truck.  The power of the diesel is just too nice.   Yes, the maintenance is more no question.  However, the ability to pull and not feel it is priceless; especially with as many trips as we run.  Now... we haven't tried towing with a 1 ton gas truck, so maybe it's a fair comparison however...not sure how we can even try to compare without actually buying the truck (don't imagine a dealership is going to let us hook up our rig and tow it a few hours into the mountains, but who know..maybe I'm wrong on that?). 

If you like how a diesel pulls you will never be happy with a gas 1 ton. I have both there is no comparison. As far as maintenance my new Ram already has 9000 miles on it and the computer still says I have 40% oil life left and the same on my fuel filter's. The dealership says go by the computer it's fine and if I remember right the book says 16,000 miles to a oil change.

2 hours ago, caveat lector said:

I agree that Diesel is tops. sure there are some increased maintenance costs.  But amortizing the total cost of ownership out over the extended average useful life of a diesel mitigates most of that impact. They will have to pry my Diesel from my cold dead hands.

My friend feels the same way he has 276,000 on his 06 Duramax. My Cummins I could see trying to keep a long time and trying to rack some miles up on it. But after a couple of years of ownership my diesel trucks are worth so much more then I owe I just trade it in on a new one and keep the same payment, with a new truck, and never have a repair bill or have to buy tires.

As a gas owner, there is no comparison in pulling power with diesel vs gas in most cases.  There are some older diesel dogs out there that can be out-towed by new gas engines, (you'll have to like the sound of high revs) but that's not the case since that one horrible diesel was taken off the market in 2009.  On the market today, the biggest towing related advantage the gas engines have over diesels is a higher payload capacity (which is what you need to be concerned about if you move to a 5er)  The Big 4 offer the exact same gas engines in their 250/2500s all the way through the 350/3500s.  I think for 2017 Ford discontinued the gas engine for  the DRW.  but a couple of years ago you could get one.  One ton gas/diesel vs 3/4 ton gas/diesel will not make your pulling power any better.  Just the suspensions ability to handle the weight (Payload).

I would love to have something like this for my dream 5er.

cxt.jpg

58 minutes ago, bhall said:

As a gas owner, there is no comparison in pulling power with diesel vs gas in most cases.  There are some older diesel dogs out there that can be out-towed by new gas engines, (you'll have to like the sound of high revs) but that's not the case since that one horrible diesel was taken off the market in 2009.  On the market today, the biggest towing related advantage the gas engines have over diesels is a higher payload capacity (which is what you need to be concerned about if you move to a 5er)  The Big 4 offer the exact same gas engines in their 250/2500s all the way through the 350/3500s.  I think for 2017 Ford discontinued the gas engine for  the DRW.  but a couple of years ago you could get one.  One ton gas/diesel vs 3/4 ton gas/diesel will not make your pulling power any better.  Just the suspensions ability to handle the weight (Payload).

I would love to have something like this for my dream 5er.

cxt.jpg

I used to want a truck like this to pull my camper to, back when I had my 6.0 diesel which had no power. But then I bought my 2012 ford diesel and now my 2016 ram diesel, and with the horsepower and torque these modern diesels put out I don't need anything bigger than a 3500. With my ram I am getting 17mpg around town  and 19 on the highway and no big rig will do that.

53 minutes ago, LONE-STAR said:

I used to want a truck like this to pull my camper to, back when I had my 6.0 diesel which had no power. But then I bought my 2012 ford diesel and now my 2016 ram diesel, and with the horsepower and torque these modern diesels put out I don't need anything bigger than a 3500. With my ram I am getting 17mpg around town  and 19 on the highway and no big rig will do that.

The RXT would be better suited (height wise) to pull a camper vs the CXT pictured above but the RXT came with the 6.0 for some asinine reason.  Can you imagine the payload rating on the above truck.  Would definitely be able to pull all 5er campers with that. 

The dream 5er we want has too much pin weight for even a DRW 350/3500...hence the dream hauler above :)

On 11/28/2016 at 2:25 PM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Thanks for the input.  I entered the wrong mileage above... it's actually around 154k,   After having a diesel to pull, I'm not sure that we'd ever consider a gas truck.  The power of the diesel is just too nice.   Yes, the maintenance is more no question.  However, the ability to pull and not feel it is priceless; especially with as many trips as we run.  Now... we haven't tried towing with a 1 ton gas truck, so maybe it's a fair comparison however...not sure how we can even try to compare without actually buying the truck (don't imagine a dealership is going to let us hook up our rig and tow it a few hours into the mountains, but who know..maybe I'm wrong on that?). 

I agree if you can afford the purchase price and maintenance the diesel is the best option for stable reliable power.  We are in a similar boat, my wife wants a larger 5er and would need to upgrade to a 1 ton to have enough payload to tow it and looking new its a $9,000 upgrade for the diesel option :unsure:

13 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

What do you get when towing and are you still towing your toy hauler?

Still towing the toy hauler. Mpg while towing is about the same as my ford was. I set it on cruise at about 75 and get about 9 on flat land and 8 in the hills. At 65 the little bit I went that speed it looked like the truck would do 12 Mpg and at 70 about 10. That said my mpg's have increased since I bought the truck. Right about 8,000 miles is when my Mpg went up while not towing before that it was 14 to 15.

1 hour ago, bdm said:

I agree if you can afford the purchase price and maintenance the diesel is the best option for stable reliable power.  We are in a similar boat, my wife wants a larger 5er and would need to upgrade to a 1 ton to have enough payload to tow it and looking new its a $9,000 upgrade for the diesel option :unsure:

But when you trade your truck in that $9,000.00 option is the main thing still giving it value.

9 minutes ago, bdm said:

True, but if you trade it for a new diesel your paying a super premium.

Well to be honest I started buying diesel trucks before they became stupid expensive. But it let me build  equity in my truck and it has continued to carry from one truck to the next. So my truck note isn't that bad.

4 minutes ago, LONE-STAR said:

Well to be honest I started buying diesel trucks before they became stupid expensive. But it let me build  equity in my truck and it has continued to carry from one truck to the next. So my truck note isn't that bad.

This is very true, i was just giving an example of cashing out that equity.