Osborne lights Silver Dollar City ???

30 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

It makes me sad to think that the Osborne Lights will be on display somewhere other than Hollywood Studios.

I can't imagine ever visiting Branson.  But, I might need to find a way.

TCD

To be fair, if this turns out to be true, the lights are, in a way, going home.  Branson is only a few hours north of Little Rock, where they originated.  

13 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

To be fair, if this turns out to be true, the lights are, in a way, going home.  Branson is only a few hours north of Little Rock, where they originated.  

That's true.

But, they achieved a new level of fame at Hollywood Studios, and became an important tradition for my family.

And, I don't think they "danced" in Little Rock.

TCD

Just now, Beckers said:

Do you think they had to wait a year before being allowed to go somewhere else?

I'd be surprised....I doubt Disney is worried about competition from Silver Dollar City.  That's not a dig at SDC, I just don't imagine Disney considers regional parks 1,000 miles away to be direct competition.  Perhaps they wouldn't be amenable to the lights being set up within a certain radius of WDW though.  

29 minutes ago, Beckers said:

Do you think they had to wait a year before being allowed to go somewhere else?

I don't recall it ever being clearly disclosed what Disney owned and what the Osborne family owned. The size and quality of the display certainly grew over time.  Initially, the display was in the backstage area on the movie set houses they used to have back there.  Then it was moved to the Streets of America.  That big globe and the flying angels, and a bunch of other stuff was original, but a lot of other things were added along the way. 

Let's not forget that there were lots of rumors last year that the lights would be moved to another place on property for this year.  Two of the locations I recall being mentioned the most were Epcot and Disney Springs.  I wonder if Disney planned to keep the lights, but now agreed to give them back to the Osborne family, or possibly they sold them to whoever is going to put them on display in Branson.  Another possibility is that the Branson people are just copying certain elements of the Osborne lights- I don't think a globe or angels are things that can be copyrighted. 

TCD

After googling this I don't think they are he Osborne lights.  Or at least not all of them  

Ive been to SDC and have seen the lights and they are awesome.    The biggest difference between the two displays is disneys display is in one general area   

Were SDC's display is spread out thru out the park  

there are approx 5 million lights in SDC current display. 

IIRC the OSborne lights had approx 5 million lights. 

And according to every article I found they (SDC) is adding an additional 1.5 million lights.  So they may have acquired some of the lights from Disney.  But not all 5 million.   

So when they finish adding the 1.5 million lights the display will be bigger than Disney's. And well worth seeing.   

I put up my Santa in the RV inflatable today.  Bite me, Disney.

14 hours ago, Beckers said:

How many Disney exclusive items did the lights have? Were there a lot of characters? It was such a mess the last time we went, I don't remember much. 

I know that Disney added a bunch of Hidden Mickeys to the lights, and I think there was an outline of Santa shaking Mickey's hand- and there was some Star Wars stuff.  Other than that, I don't recall any Disney characters in the lights themselves.  There were Disney props, like the 101 Dalmatians, that were covered with lights.  But, I think that Disney added things like toy soldiers and some of the other large displays over the years.  And that really cool net that was hung over the San Francisco street- that was created by Disney.  The Osbornes had a smaller one that was all red lights, not the multi-color LED one that Disney used.

TCD

http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/2016/11/27/osborne-lights-moving-branson-missouri/

"UPDATEScott Gustin spoke to Director of Publicity for Silver Dollar City and Herschend Family Entertainment, Lisa Rau, on the phone today and she denied that the park had acquired the Osborne Lights. “No, we have not acquired the Osborne Lights. We travel all over the world looking for inspiration for the things we do at all of our properties… but no direct inspiration came from the Osborne Lights at Disney.”"

37 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

So the moral of the story is....you can't believe what you read on Instagram or Twitter.  

Or what the SDC spokeslady says either

43 minutes ago, Beckers said:

http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/2016/11/27/osborne-lights-moving-branson-missouri/

"UPDATEScott Gustin spoke to Director of Publicity for Silver Dollar City and Herschend Family Entertainment, Lisa Rau, on the phone today and she denied that the park had acquired the Osborne Lights. “No, we have not acquired the Osborne Lights. We travel all over the world looking for inspiration for the things we do at all of our properties… but no direct inspiration came from the Osborne Lights at Disney.”"

No direct inspiration?

Come on, Lisa.

What's that giant globe with the angels?  Indirect inspiration?

TCD

37 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Of course they say there is no direct inspiration. If there was they might run into some type of a licensing problem and their attorneys wouldn't like that. 

You're probably right.

As I said earlier in this thread, I have doubts that anyone could trademark a globe with angels flying around it. 

TCD

5 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You're probably right.

As I said earlier in this thread, I have doubts that anyone could trademark a globe with angels flying around it. 

TCD

One of the things I've noticed about trademarks over the years is it is common that they are granted or in a grant pending state until challenged. Since a lot of folks don't have the money to mount the challenge they will back down when told to stop using it. It isn't only trademark infringement that might come up but copyrights as well. If the Disney version of the lights were considered a scripted show it could be copyrighted so anyone doing something similar would need to be sure there was enough of a difference to not be considered plagiarism.  Then again who's to say Disney didn't get some inspiration on the proper way to do Christmas lighting from Clark Griswold.