Star Wars Rogue One - *** SPOILER ALERT ***

I really enjoyed the movie.   My favorite characters were K-2SO, and the blind, non-jedi force user.   They had the best lines!    I have to admit, when Jen was scaling the library tower, and reached the top where there was the shaft with the opening / closing aperture... I was immediately taken out of the movie to Galaxy Quest.  " WHY does this thing EXIST?".. lol.. I giggled.  My husband knew exactly why I was giggling.

Also,  I didn't believe they would put a data reading station under the sat-dish, in the elements like that.   and WHY did the alignment station have to be out on a catwalk?  Really?

But, the effects were great.  The ships were beautiful, and the destruction of the 2 star destroyers was more graceful than any ballet I have ever seen.

I really enjoyed seeing all the old characters,  CGI or not.  I also enjoyed the homage to some of the more popular dialogue in the original movie.

What did y'all think?

I agree with all of what you said.  But, I've had issues with plausibility in other Star Wars films as well.  Some of the things that happen clearly are there to add drama.

I loved that big robot, and I was genuinely surprised to see Princess Leia's face at the end.  That was really a cool scene.  I also loved the C3P0, R2D2 cameo.

It's amazing to see how far special effects have come.  Even the aliens look a lot more real than they ever have in previous Star Wars films.

One beef I had was that all of the rebels that worked to get the plans had to die.  Every single one!  That was sad and really out of character for a Star Wars film.

But, the movie was very entertaining.  You can't complain about lack of action!

TCD

Absolutely no complaints about the action. 

I didn't mind everyone dying, just because to me, it emphasized just how hard that mission was, and demonstrates the concept of courage in the face of unbeatable odds.  We need more of that these days.   The necessary sacrifice.    Also, there was no where for these characters to go, in the context of the canon timeline.   We know who is in Episode IV 'A New Hope', and it would look strange if the heroes from this mission were missing, if they hadn't died.

The red squadron survived mostly, and now we know how Luke got the designation of Red 5.

13 minutes ago, ThemeParkCommando said:

Absolutely no complaints about the action. 

I didn't mind everyone dying, just because to me, it emphasized just how hard that mission was, and demonstrates the concept of courage in the face of unbeatable odds.  We need more of that these days.   The necessary sacrifice.    Also, there was no where for these characters to go, in the context of the canon timeline.   We know who is in Episode IV 'A New Hope', and it would look strange if the heroes from this mission were missing, if they hadn't died.

The red squadron survived mostly, and now we know how Luke got the designation of Red 5.

Very good points.

Still, I felt sadness over Jyn Erso's life.  I do give the writers credit for not forcing a happy ending, and I do like the message about having the courage to sacrifice for the greater good, and in her case, to honor her father.

As the father or three daughters, I do like how strong Jyn's character was.  Star Wars needed some more strong female characters.

One thing I forgot to comment on earlier was how interesting it was to see the beginnings of the rebels' embracing The Force. 

TCD

You're going to have to expound on ' the beginnings of rebel's embracing the Force."  I didn't see that, but may be because I'm missing something.   Remember,  just before this movie, in "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith", Palpatine enacted order 66,  which was a call to kill all Jedi.  Anakin went in and killed all the younglings at the temple on Coruscant.  The Jedi order had been around for thousands of years by the time of this movie.  I don't think it had been long enough for people to forget the Jedi and the Force.

Saw it with my granddaughter last night.  

It was decent, she really liked it. Liked how they tied it in to #4.

We saw it in regular format, and were surprised how empty the theater was especially on $5 admission night.

Possibly because it was starting about every 30 to 45 minutes in various rooms, plus they had other rooms showing it in 3D and dropbox, but there was an upcharge for those.

I'm not a Star Wars fan although I have fond memories of the popular culture surrounding what I call "the first Star Wars movie" and everyone else seems to call "Episode IV - The New Hope" since I was a teenager when it came out.  I've never even seen the prequel 3 movies. I knew nothing about this one going in but right before it started I asked my son when this was set and he told me it was literally the few days before New Hope which made me more interested as I looked for references to that movie. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. I also really enjoyed the strong female lead. She was awesome. First Moana and now Jyn Erso. Finally.