BREAKING NEWS: Disney removed all large cups from Magic Kingdom

Yes folks, if you are thirsty, you can't order a large anymore.  You will have to buy more than one fountain coke.  This was all over the place on the news, but I pulled this off of wdwnt.com.  Thanks for the information guys and gals.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2016/12/breaking-disney-removing-large-cups-counter-service-locations/

IMG_6059-1-768x1024.jpg

In a strange turn of events, several counter service locations at Walt Disney World recently removed large drink cups from their menus.

The confirmed locations so far include Sleepy Hollow Refreshments, Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Cafe, Casey’s Corner, Westward Ho, and Pecos Bill’s Tall Tale Inn and Cafe, all located at the Magic Kingdom.

Now, many counter service locations at other parks do not have large cups because the establishments feature self-serve soda fountains where guests are able to get refills on their own. The Electric Umbrella, Sunshine Seasons, Restaurantosaurus, and Backlot Express are examples of these types of counter service locations. Almost all counter service locations at resorts have these self-serve fountains as well, most sporting the Rapid Fill technology which limited the time and amount of refills the cups can be used for.

We have been unable to confirm why this is happening and if the trend will continue, but there are several possibilities here. The first is that Disney is trying to up-sell guests on souvenir cups. Westward Ho and Pecos Bill’s offer a fairly large souvenir cup shared like a jug, but even the souvenir mugs at Casey’s Corner and Cosmic Ray’s are much smaller than a large fountain beverage. That being said, Sleepy Hollow does not currently sell a souvenir cup.

The second is that it is a cost cutting measure since most locations don’t even need to stock the large cups since they use a self-serve drink fountain. In addition, guests could be ordering just one large fountain drink for $3.69 and sharing it rather than buying one drink for each guest in their party. Disney could make a lot more money at $3.29 a drink if everyone in the group buys one.

With the busy holiday crowds, it could also be a way of streamlining service at some of the resort’s busiest eateries.

For those hoping self serve fountains or Coke Freestyle machines will be added, I wouldn’t hold your breath. Most of the locations mentioned above are far to small for either of these things to be installed.

Whatever the reason, we will have to keep our eyes peeled to see if the large cups return to these locations or begin to vanish from more around Walt Disney World.

article and photo credit: wdwnt.com

We ask for the free ice water. Sometimes it comes in the kid's meal cup and other times in the adult small cup, but it's free.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last time we were there my mom spent a lot of time talking to random Disney employees...and a few for a while. One of them told her that Disney pays nothing to Coke for their product and Coke gets the free advertising. If that is true, which I doubt it, then Disney is making a crap ton on just soda sales.

Quite honestly, it doesn't bother me to get rid of the large cups. I much prefer my soda in a bottle, and usually bring my own. If I do eat at a counter service, and get a meal with a drink, I would much prefer a smaller amount. The cups are not as portable as a bottle,and can't be shoved in a pack if you need both hands for something.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2016 at 10:44 PM, rtguy007 said:

Last time we were there my mom spent a lot of time talking to random Disney employees...and a few for a while. One of them told her that Disney pays nothing to Coke for their product and Coke gets the free advertising. If that is true, which I doubt it, then Disney is making a crap ton on just soda sales.

Disney does not pay for the syrup.  They do have to pay for the CO2 to mix it, the cups and of course the water.

On 1/11/2017 at 10:37 PM, AuburnJen said:

Disney does not pay for the syrup.  They do have to pay for the CO2 to mix it, the cups and of course the water.

That's an interesting twist to the story. Really you could give me the coke syrup and I would drink it strait. Who needs water and co2? :D