When you watch a video like this with those two morons, you can understand why the people staying at the Lodge don't want to share a boat with the "camping people."   I wonder what these idiots do for a living.   Makes me worry about America.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes... several of the 5th wheels we've looked at were this way.  Or you couldn't get into the bunk room, unless you opened the slide.  The Coachmen 360IBL you can get into the bathroom and bedrooms, b

14 hours ago, 3/5th Wheel said:

I have never stopped for an over-night at a Wal-Mart. However, this spring we do have a couple of over-nights planned at Cracker Barrel. I did see something that surprised me at a rest area along I-80 the other day. A large class A was stopped in the large vehicle/truck parking & had a couple slides out. I watched an Iowa state trooper go over & ask them to pull the slides in (at least that is what I assumed - because they pulled the slides in while he was standing there). Anyone else ever seen this? Just curious about where we can or cannot put out the slides - this is the first RV we've owned that has slide outs.

I've never seen it but is makes sense. The slides take up a parking space in a potentially busy rest stop. There is also the safety factor of a big rig pulling in, not seeing that the slide is out and taking it off along with whatever is in it.

15 hours ago, keith_h said:

This is the type of abuse that ruins it for folks that just want to stop to buy a few items and get some rest. There was an older couple who used our Walmart as a campsite for several weeks at a time. As a result the owner of the shopping center that Walmart leases from posted signs last spring that said no overnight parking. The Walmart in the next town over did the same thing last summer.

They have this disclaimer at the bottom of their video...

Published on Dec 20, 2016

*** WE UNDERSTAND TYPICAL WALMART ETIQUETTE.
There's been a lot of negative comments about us staying for 5 days at Walmart, but we got permission ahead of time from the store manager and spent hundreds of dollars on food and supplies there. They happily welcomed our stay.

Not saying it's good or bad, but since we only have a PUP, we wouldn't be "camping" in a Wal-Mart lot.

15 hours ago, 3/5th Wheel said:

I have never stopped for an over-night at a Wal-Mart. However, this spring we do have a couple of over-nights planned at Cracker Barrel. I did see something that surprised me at a rest area along I-80 the other day. A large class A was stopped in the large vehicle/truck parking & had a couple slides out. I watched an Iowa state trooper go over & ask them to pull the slides in (at least that is what I assumed - because they pulled the slides in while he was standing there). Anyone else ever seen this? Just curious about where we can or cannot put out the slides - this is the first RV we've owned that has slide outs.

I've wondered and thought a lot about the slide issue. The only thing I didn't like in our trailer when we looked at is the fact that you can't get to the refrigerator without putting the slide out. So far we haven't traveled far enough for it to matter with the trailer, but I have put the slide out at a rest stop to get something out of the fridge. My thinking is if you can find a safe place, maybe the very first or last spot where someone couldn't pull in next to you and hit the slide then you'd probably be OK. 

Then I think it comes down to who, when, where and why. The cop or security guard that sees you, will translate the laws or rules how they see them or understand them. A slide out to them may mean camping and if no camping is allowed then they may ask you to shut it. That's where I say shut it apologize and move on. 

10 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

I've wondered and thought a lot about the slide issue. The only thing I didn't like in our trailer when we looked at is the fact that you can't get to the refrigerator without putting the slide out. So far we haven't traveled far enough for it to matter with the trailer, but I have put the slide out at a rest stop to get something out of the fridge.  

Yes... several of the 5th wheels we've looked at were this way.  Or you couldn't get into the bunk room, unless you opened the slide.  The Coachmen 360IBL you can get into the bathroom and bedrooms, but to get to the fridge...you would have to open the side on the passenger side at least 1/2 way so you could squeeze in.   This is the main plus to our current bumper pull.  We can access everything easily, with the slide in.

On 1/6/2017 at 7:26 PM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Yes... several of the 5th wheels we've looked at were this way.  Or you couldn't get into the bunk room, unless you opened the slide.  The Coachmen 360IBL you can get into the bathroom and bedrooms, but to get to the fridge...you would have to open the side on the passenger side at least 1/2 way so you could squeeze in.   This is the main plus to our current bumper pull.  We can access everything easily, with the slide in.

One thing to look out for with slides.... The 4 slides in our camper are hydraulic and there is 1 switch the extends and retracts them all so I cannot open just the bunk slides by themselves. On ours the rooms open by path of resistance....bedroom, living room, then the 2 in the bunk rooms and will generally close in the same order. Luckily for us the only thing we cant access with everything closed is the actual bunk room. We can get to the fridge and both bathrooms with everything closed up. Now, if for some reason I do have to get something out of the bunk room it involves opening all of the slides just to get in there. Not the end of the world, just something to think about if the model you are looking at has hydraulic slides.
With that said there are some hydraulic slides that do have controls so that you can open\close certain slides. Ours just doesn't have that.

38 minutes ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

One thing to look out for with slides.... The 4 slides in our camper are hydraulic and there is 1 switch the extends and retracts them all so I cannot open just the bunk slides by themselves. On ours the rooms open by path of resistance....bedroom, living room, then the 2 in the bunk rooms and will generally close in the same order. Luckily for us the only thing we cant access with everything closed is the actual bunk room. We can get to the fridge and both bathrooms with everything closed up. Now, if for some reason I do have to get something out of the bunk room it involves opening all of the slides just to get in there. Not the end of the world, just something to think about if the model you are looking at has hydraulic slides.
With that said there are some hydraulic slides that do have controls so that you can open\close certain slides. Ours just doesn't have that.

I noticed this when looking at rigs!  Yes, very frustrating.  A button for each is definitely the way they should be designed.  Thank you for the reminder on this!

1 minute ago, 3/5th Wheel said:

The Chaparral we bought has individual controls for each slide. That may help eliminate some attention at certain stops...if only one is out & not all 4! 

That's good to know. I have to remember to check for this as we continue our search!

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

That's good to know. I have to remember to check for this as we continue our search!

My wife actually picked out this model. It's a 360IBL It doesn't have 2 bathrooms, but it does have a separate bedroom with a large bunk. Our 11 year old daughter said if felt a little more private than the other models we went through. We travel a lot - so that is important. It also comes plumbed & wired for a washer/dryer in the "master" bedroom. It can be ordered with only 1 A.C. unit - making it a little easier to find camping sites (30AMP rather than 50AMP). We opted for 2 because I'm the only one who likes heat. One thing I don't like - no outdoor kitchen. That was a must have for me...but I got out-voted. 

I have to figure out how to put a picture of it & the truck on my blank-for-now user ID.

10 minutes ago, 3/5th Wheel said:

My wife actually picked out this model. It's a 360IBL It doesn't have 2 bathrooms, but it does have a separate bedroom with a large bunk. Our 11 year old daughter said if felt a little more private than the other models we went through. We travel a lot - so that is important. It also comes plumbed & wired for a washer/dryer in the "master" bedroom. It can be ordered with only 1 A.C. unit - making it a little easier to find camping sites (30AMP rather than 50AMP). We opted for 2 because I'm the only one who likes heat. One thing I don't like - no outdoor kitchen. That was a must have for me...but I got out-voted. 

I have to figure out how to put a picture of it & the truck on my blank-for-now user ID.

Yep.  This model is on our short list.  We too would do 2 a/c units as I like our home on wheels VERY, VERY cold at night.  Haha :lol:

32 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Hydraulic vs electric...  can someone tell me which is better and help educate me on why?

Some feel elec is better since each slide is independent. With hydraulic, if you loose the pump non of the slides work.

Every unit we've owned had elect, just the way they came wasn't part of our decision.

36 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Some feel elec is better since each slide is independent. With hydraulic, if you loose the pump non of the slides work.

Every unit we've owned had elect, just the way they came wasn't part of our decision.

Thank you...