Hi! First post ever on Fort Fiends! I have been lurking for a while & have enjoyed this site and the discussions.

We are long time campers, but always with a pop-up or hitch pull travel trailer. Recently we purchased a new Chapparal 360IBL, So, now I need to purchase a 5th wheel hitch. I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 2500 short bed. For those of you who are 5th wheel owners - what hitch do you use, do you recommend it? Or...what would you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Matt

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes... several of the 5th wheels we've looked at were this way.  Or you couldn't get into the bunk room, unless you opened the slide.  The Coachmen 360IBL you can get into the bathroom and bedrooms, b

This question is like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. With that said, B&W is very highly liked, so is the Anderson raised ball hitch. For a sliding hitch for short bed trucks, the Pullrite Superglide is a premium hitch with a premium price. To be honest, most hitches manufactured today are good hitches.

Thanks. The dealership from which we purchased our 5th wheel sells B&W - but he is willing to install any hitch. I asked him for a recommendation and he told me any new hitch would be fine. I guess I'm just a little skeptical because with our bumper pull camper the hitch made a huge difference in how stable the trailer was on the highway - how much we felt it in the truck, etc. Being new to this type of travel trailer I just don't want to make the wrong choice right out of the gate! haha.

I initially purchased a pull rite super glide when I still had a short bed. With my 102" wide trailer it still wouldn't allow a true 90 degree turn. I sold it and installed a 5th airborne sidewinder and used a pull rite super 5th 18k hitch. It was much better. The smaller hitch was easier to remove and the airbag smoothed out the ride. I still use this set up even though i have a long bed now.

On 12/31/2016 at 9:25 AM, 3/5th Wheel said:

Hi! First post ever on Fort Fiends! I have been lurking for a while & have enjoyed this site and the discussions.

We are long time campers, but always with a pop-up or hitch pull travel trailer. Recently we purchased a new Chapparal 360IBL, So, now I need to purchase a 5th wheel hitch. I have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 2500 short bed. For those of you who are 5th wheel owners - what hitch do you use, do you recommend it? Or...what would you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Matt....first, welcome!  Second, very timely that you would post on this as the rig you purchase is the EXACT rig we are looking at.  We've had a hybrid and now a bumper pull for the past two seasons.  Interested to read the feedback on the hitch as this is information we'll need to know. 

Welcome again!  Let me know your feedback on the rig, once you've had a chance to use it :) 

Welcome to the forum. We have a camper with similar specs to the one you have, a 2016 Reflection 357bhs. Like you, we recently changed (in late 2015) from a TT to a 5er. I use the "Andersen Ultimate Connection" hitch. At first I was skeptical but after a year of use and around 5,000 towing miles I'm very pleased with it. People at campgrounds often ask about it as well.

The version I have is the aluminum that connects to a "gooseneck" ball in the bed. Installation and removal is really easy it only weighs 40lbs vs 150lb plus for many others. It's rated to tow 24,000lbs and pin weight up to 4,500lbs. Andersen has several videos on their website performing torture tests if you're interested. I believe mine cost $6-700 a year ago.

They also have all steel versions and "rail mount" versions. If you have any questions, just ask.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, JMSisko said:

The version I have is the aluminum that connects to a "gooseneck" ball in the bed. Installation and removal is really easy it only weighs 40lbs vs 150lb plus for many others. It's rated to tow 24,000lbs and pin weight up to 4,500lbs. Andersen has several videos on their website performing torture tests if you're interested. I believe mine cost $6-700 a year ago.

Interesting comment... I had asked about a gooseneck hitch in an earlier post.  Thanks for the feedback.

Interesting comment... I had asked about a gooseneck hitch in an earlier post.  Thanks for the feedback.

Just keep in mind persons not familiar with hitches similar to the Andersen may confuse what your discussing with the Gooseneck adapters that are installed on the trailer, and remain with the trailer when disconnected from the truck. ( I'm pretty sure Reece makes one of these). I bring it up because those similar to the Reese unit may void some trailer manufacturers warranty due to the additional stress imparted on the trailer pin box.

1 hour ago, JMSisko said:

Welcome to the forum. We have a camper with similar specs to the one you have, a 2016 Reflection 357bhs. Like you, we recently changed (in late 2015) from a TT to a 5er. I use the "Andersen Ultimate Connection" hitch. At first I was skeptical but after a year of use and around 5,000 towing miles I'm very pleased with it. People at campgrounds often ask about it as well.

They also have all steel versions and "rail mount" versions. If you have any questions, just ask.

I've been looking at possibly getting this hitch, but it's my understanding that in PA, any ball mounted hitch must use safety chains and well, I'm not sure where exactly I would attach safety chains inside my bed.  Are you using the chains and if so, do you have pics of how your 5er is hooked up using the Andersen?

I've been looking at possibly getting this hitch, but it's my understanding that in PA, any ball mounted hitch must use safety chains and well, I'm not sure where exactly I would attach safety chains inside my bed.  Are you using the chains and if so, do you have pics of how your 5er is hooked up using the Andersen?

I'm in nc and they are not required here, but I'm considering adding them soon.

My truck is older, 2006, when there was no factory option for a gooseneck. So mine is aftermarket and has these ubolts to connect chains. I would think if your truck has the factory gooseneck there is probably a way to connect chains. However, you may need a ford/chevy/dodge adapter to connect them, I'm just not familiar with the newer trucks. Here is a pic of the goose neck in my truck bed.

13de88f04511eb5f6965d0d68a28a204.jpg

I believe the "safety chain" add on from Andersen is around $75.

27 minutes ago, JMSisko said:

Just keep in mind persons not familiar with hitches similar to the Andersen may confuse what your discussing with the Gooseneck adapters that are installed on the trailer, and remain with the trailer when disconnected from the truck. ( I'm pretty sure Reece makes one of these). I bring it up because those similar to the Reese unit may void some trailer manufacturers warranty due to the additional stress imparted on the trailer pin box.

Thank you...

We have a short bed Ram 2500 with the B&W companion slider 5er hitch and I love it.  I'm sure just about any hitch will do but when I messed up the B&W hitch I called them explained what happened and they shipped me a replacement lower part of the hitch for free, no questions asked.

If you ever have to call for support you get a real person on the phone and when they transfer you to a tech is someone that knows the product and probably designs or builds it because they know it inside and out and are not reading from a script.

Thank you all for the welcome & for sharing your experiences! My truck has a goose neck already installed & I was considering using the adapter for the 5th wheel - however the dealer told me that I would not be happy with it - too unstable. I just don't know enough, so this feedback is great.

I have looked at the Pullright & the B&W hitches. I am convinced I need one that slides - automatically. Now, to just convince the wife that I need to spend the extra. ha!

Although my truck is a 2500, the previous owner had an extra leaf put in & it has the weigh capacity of a 3500 as a result. Didn't know that when I purchased - mentioned to the Chevy dealer that the ride was quite a bit more harsh than I expected and the service tech showed me the rear suspension...SURPRISE! haha.

Yes - I purchased new. The dealer did not mention that the adapter would void the warranty - if it does, that would eliminate that option. I am really leaning toward the automatic sliding hitches. I made the mistake of going on YouTube & looking at videos of folks who have wrecked their tow vehicles & trailers by crashing the trailer into the cab!:( I do NOT want to be that guy! The Chapparral 360IBL does have the cut-outs in front. The dealer told me that helps greatly with clearance. 

Yes - I purchased new. The dealer did not mention that the adapter would void the warranty - if it does, that would eliminate that option. I am really leaning toward the automatic sliding hitches. I made the mistake of going on YouTube & looking at videos of folks who have wrecked their tow vehicles & trailers by crashing the trailer into the cab![emoji20] I do NOT want to be that guy! The Chapparral 360IBL does have the cut-outs in front. The dealer told me that helps greatly with clearance. 

It may not void the warranty, but it's good to verify with the trailer manufacturer first. I didn't mean to make you concerned, I just wanted to make you aware some manufacturers may have issues with some of these new adapters on the market.

2 hours ago, 3/5th Wheel said:

I have looked at the Pullright & the B&W hitches. I am convinced I need one that slides - automatically. Now, to just convince the wife that I need to spend the extra. ha!

My 2500 Ram has a 6' 4" bed and our Keystone has the corners cut back and I've never had to slide my hitch.  In and out of fuel stops its never an issue, the only time it becomes an issue is when you are trying to back into a tight camping spot that goes up hill. and have to get the trailer near 90* to the truck, and I try really hard not to do that because I don't wanna damage the trailer axles or tires. 

My B&W is setup to be as far forward as possible, the uprights are flipped on mine moving the pin about 2 inches closer to the cab, and still never been close to hitting the cab.  Most of the pictures and videos of people popping windows with a 5er are the older box type ones.  Most modern 5ers are designed for short bed trucks and give enough clearance for normal driving conditions.  

The 3 years we've owned our camper i've slid the hitch back maybe 4 or 5 times because i was concerned with the parking angle.  Its always been in a campground or trying to park it in the storage facility, never when driving or in parking lots or gas stations.

After owning several trucks, 5th wheels and hitches and trying to figure out the best combo and improve each time, I can say that I would only recommend the BW Companion. My BW hitch has the strongest, simplest and most positive jaw system on the market and replicates those used on big trucks the closest.  Do a simple search for "dropped 5th wheels" and "high hitching"I think you will make up your mind after you see the damage that can occur with the other brands.  I wish I had pics from the worst one I had ever seen that happened to be at the exit of the Fort when leaving for home one morning Also, the BW hitch only shuts if correctly connected, and shuts so tightly it eliminates almost all forward and backward "chucking".  

It's heavy, expensive and worth every penny...not to mention you will only need to buy one for the rest of your 5th wheel years as it's built to last. 

As far as the Andersons are concerned, the 5th wheel hitch is the only positive latch system that can be used without safety chains....therfore I see no reason to convert a trailer that was never designed as a gooseneck and make it take the abuse it wasn't built for. 

Welcome! And good luck shopping!

10 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

It's heavy, expensive and worth every penny...not to mention you will only need to buy one for the rest of your 5th wheel years as it's built to last. 

We feel that way, about the ProPride Hitch we bought for our bumper pull.  

Thanks for the feedback on the BW Hitch; we'll look into that one.

I am another one of the B&W fanboys...I simply love my companion hitch. I have had great customer support from them with questions after the sale and would not hesitate to purchase another one in the event I needed a new hitch. I must admit I was tempted with the Andersen hitch when it came out but I just couldn't bring myself to make a change. 

Well, I purchased the Anderson Ultimate today. The dealer did a complete 180 on the B&W automatic sliding hitch! When I took my truck in, he saw the existing goose neck set-up & said, "Oh, you have a goose neck hitch. I have something that will work better for you."  I asked about the frame warranty & he said the Anderson was fine - wouldn't void it. He measured the bed & how all would be set-up and said that it would be a perfect fit. Considering that the Anderson was several hundred dollars less than the B&W I really couldn't see the disadvantage - plus I get the complete use of my bed when not towing the travel trailer. I did opt for the heavier rated hitch - so it is 75lbs instead of 35lbs - and it's not polished aluminum, it's powder coated. Now I just have to wait until May for our first outing...

Again - thank you for all the input! I have sooo many questions, I'm sure I'll start a new thread soon. :)

44 minutes ago, 3/5th Wheel said:

Well, I purchased the Anderson Ultimate today. The dealer did a complete 180 on the B&W automatic sliding hitch! When I took my truck in, he saw the existing goose neck set-up & said, "Oh, you have a goose neck hitch. I have something that will work better for you."  I asked about the frame warranty & he said the Anderson was fine - wouldn't void it. He measured the bed & how all would be set-up and said that it would be a perfect fit. Considering that the Anderson was several hundred dollars less than the B&W I really couldn't see the disadvantage - plus I get the complete use of my bed when not towing the travel trailer. I did opt for the heavier rated hitch - so it is 75lbs instead of 35lbs - and it's not polished aluminum, it's powder coated. Now I just have to wait until May for our first outing...

Again - thank you for all the input! I have sooo many questions, I'm sure I'll start a new thread soon. :)

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures and how you like both the rig and the hitch!