3 hours ago, 3/5th Wheel said:

Well, I purchased the Anderson Ultimate today. The dealer did a complete 180 on the B&W automatic sliding hitch! When I took my truck in, he saw the existing goose neck set-up & said, "Oh, you have a goose neck hitch. I have something that will work better for you."  I asked about the frame warranty & he said the Anderson was fine - wouldn't void it. He measured the bed & how all would be set-up and said that it would be a perfect fit. Considering that the Anderson was several hundred dollars less than the B&W I really couldn't see the disadvantage - plus I get the complete use of my bed when not towing the travel trailer. I did opt for the heavier rated hitch - so it is 75lbs instead of 35lbs - and it's not polished aluminum, it's powder coated. Now I just have to wait until May for our first outing...

Again - thank you for all the input! I have sooo many questions, I'm sure I'll start a new thread soon. :)

You just got a new trailer and your not going anywhere for 5 months(we would go crazy). I highly recommend you take a few weekend trips before then. It will make your main vacation much more enjoyable, if you have already worked the kinks out of your new camper. Not sure if you got a 1 or 2 year warranty but at 5 months, if you only got a 1 year, it's almost half over.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes... several of the 5th wheels we've looked at were this way.  Or you couldn't get into the bunk room, unless you opened the slide.  The Coachmen 360IBL you can get into the bathroom and bedrooms, b

18 minutes ago, LONE-STAR said:

You just got a new trailer and your not going anywhere for 5 months(we would go crazy). I highly recommend you take a few weekend trips before then. It will make your main vacation much more enjoyable, if you have already worked the kinks out of your new camper. Not sure if you got a 1 or 2 year warranty but at 5 months, if you only got a 1 year, it's almost half over.Therenths. Our little trailer we spent the night we picked it up at Fort Wilderness and when we got the new one we spent the first night near the dealer and the second at Fort Wilderness (would have spent the 1st but it was a race weekend and couldn't get a site). I loaded the back of the truck with all of the stuff from our old trailer so we had everything we needed. If I remember correctly we went to a local state park the next weekend. 

I agree, could never wait that long. Both trailers we have spent the first night we picked them up in them. 

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

I always like to do a local weekend right away with a new rv, keeping a list of things we discover that we need, and make a Wal-Mart run on Saturday to get those things.

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

I go one further and spend a good two week vacation in the local Wally World parking lot.  You really can't get the feel of all the extras in a new trailer or MOHO unless you do it all.  Open the awnings, open the slides, set up the grill and lawn chairs.  And doing it at Wally World saves you the trouble of driving there.  Just a short walk across the lot and BAM!  You're there!

I go one further and spend a good two week vacation in the local Wally World parking lot.  You really can't get the feel of all the extras in a new trailer or MOHO unless you do it all.  Open the awnings, open the slides, set up the grill and lawn chairs.  And doing it at Wally World saves you the trouble of driving there.  Just a short walk across the lot and BAM!  You're there!

I draw my personal Walmart camping limit at 10 days, but whatever, Jim. Go ahead and take advantage, ruining it for the rest of us.

27 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I draw my personal Walmart camping limit at 10 days, but whatever, Jim. Go ahead and take advantage, ruining it for the rest of us.

Only 10 days?  Heck... I'm tired of the cold and was planning to find a Wally World to winter at in Fl ;) 

Be sure to park next to a storm sewer drain so you can dump your tanks.

I am absolutely beside myself...I can't wait until May to use the new trailer. BUT...a perfect storm of life...bought a new house, in a different state, that needs work...so my time is officially my wife's at this point. No fun until the work is DONE! I did suggest we park the new rig in a Wal-Mart parking lot & just live out of it while renovating. That was met with a cold-icy stare that could only mean baaaad things for me. And, it's in Holland, Michigan - so the average winter temp is "hell just froze."

We have a 2 year warranty. I did purchase the upgrade bumper to hitch 7 year warranty (we'll see if it's any good - any one else ever done this?). Our "shake-down" cruise will be at the county park just down from the dealer - so hopefully all goes well. After that, we hit the road for a little over a month. 

2 minutes ago, 3/5th Wheel said:

We have a 2 year warranty. I did purchase the upgrade bumper to hitch 7 year warranty (we'll see if it's any good - any one else ever done this?). Our "shake-down" cruise will be at the county park just down from the dealer - so hopefully all goes well. After that, we hit the road for a little over a month. 

If your plan is to hit the road for a month and (did you say) that this is your first rig??  Definitely do a couple of local trips first... you'll be surprised at what you discover. 

This really has become an educational thread. :lol:

This is our fourth RV. We started with a 38ft Georgie Boy Swinger - it only lasted a few years because my wife violently objected to the name...  Then we upgraded to a pop-up, figured it wouldn't be quite so traumatic when the children destroyed it. Then a hybrid - has been my favorite so far, and now the 5th wheel. However, this is the first new RV, so I'm sure we will have a steep, and possibly expensive, learning curve... :huh:

22 minutes ago, 3/5th Wheel said:

This really has become an educational thread. :lol:

This is our fourth RV. We started with a 38ft Georgie Boy Swinger - it only lasted a few years because my wife violently objected to the name...  Then we upgraded to a pop-up, figured it wouldn't be quite so traumatic when the children destroyed it. Then a hybrid - has been my favorite so far, and now the 5th wheel. However, this is the first new RV, so I'm sure we will have a steep, and possibly expensive, learning curve... :huh:

Ahh...sorry, you did mention in your first post, that this was not your first rig.  Sounds like you know what to expect :)   We started with a hybrid...liked our too however, we really appreciate that our fully enclosed camper is quieter and no more packing up went tent ends :)  Again... excited to hear about your journey!

And, it's in Holland, Michigan - so the average winter temp is "hell just froze. 

We lived in Holland for several years, it's a great place and terrific campgrounds and state parks (at least in the summer). It's a great area to have an RV. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Mercy.  Personally I think it's incredibly rude when people set up their house in Walmart parking lots.  It's private property; you have no right to do this...and you ruin it for those of us who might want to stop and rest for a few hours.

I agree with you.  And I think I accidentally reported your post sorry. Not sure how to undo that.

This is the type of abuse that ruins it for folks that just want to stop to buy a few items and get some rest. There was an older couple who used our Walmart as a campsite for several weeks at a time. As a result the owner of the shopping center that Walmart leases from posted signs last spring that said no overnight parking. The Walmart in the next town over did the same thing last summer.

I have never stopped for an over-night at a Wal-Mart. However, this spring we do have a couple of over-nights planned at Cracker Barrel. I did see something that surprised me at a rest area along I-80 the other day. A large class A was stopped in the large vehicle/truck parking & had a couple slides out. I watched an Iowa state trooper go over & ask them to pull the slides in (at least that is what I assumed - because they pulled the slides in while he was standing there). Anyone else ever seen this? Just curious about where we can or cannot put out the slides - this is the first RV we've owned that has slide outs.