Is it feasible, to only spend a few hours at one of the water parks OR is that more hassle than it's worth.

We're purchasing our next set of APs today (to start with our first visit this fall...but right now they still have the 13 month offer) and we're trying to decide if we want to bump up to include the water parks.  Our oldest knows how to swim (but not without us) and our youngest should by then (again with strong supervision) as we're planning on swim lessons this Spring.  All that said, I don't think Tom's back could take a full day...plus we have the dog... so, I'm wondering:  is too much hassle to just take the kids for a few hours?

For quite a while, we used to take advantage of the after 2 PM Florida Residents' Waterpark Annual Pass.  We would pop in to one of the waterparks for a few hours near closing time. 

Both parks have nice play areas that your kids can enjoy even it they're not strong swimmers.  The family raft ride at Blizzard Beach is fun, and it's worth going there to just ride that a few times.  Typhoon Lagoon is getting a new family raft ride in 2017, so there's that too.

It's a very nice option to have when it's hot out!  One trick we learned was to head over on any afternoon where a big thunderstorm had come through- the parks would be almost empty after the storm passed.  With the pass, you don't feel guilty only going for a few hours.

With the add on for your pass, you could also do a couple of hours in the morning and then have the rest of the day to do something else.

Sadly, the TCD girls don't like getting their hair and makeup messed up now for just a quick waterpark visit, so we don't do them anymore.

TCD

Thanks Andrew, I appreciate the feedback.  I'm torn as it's one more thing to-do while we're there, but I do think the kids would really like it.  The family raft would be fun.

2 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

I have fond memories of Typhoon Lagoon as a kid. I need to get Z there soon. The upgrade is something I've debated as well. 

I think I may just buy the APs today and then upgrade to include the water parks this fall if we decide (I think you can do this...sounds right...but I'm on the phone with Disney right now to make sure.  Good glory you should hear the on-hold music...actually, can you?  It's so loud!!).

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

I think I may just buy the APs today and then upgrade to include the water parks this fall if we decide (I think you can do this...sounds right...but I'm on the phone with Disney right now to make sure.

Yes, you can upgrade passes at any time, but the expiration date and price difference to upgrade will be the same- they don't pro-rate the additional charge for the length of time left on the pass.

Still, it's not a bad idea, as you can wait until you think you really want to visit the waterparks.

TCD

Yes the water parks are worth just a couple hours. We have gone the last 3 summers spent a week at the Fort and only did the water parks for a few hours on a couple of the days, lots of fun. I don't know if you have been to Disney water parks, but it's like the main parks where it's themed. You don't really see stair cases and water pipes like you do at local water parks. So it's nice to just be there. From what we have found you can do everything at least once in about 3 hours or less and that's not even rushing. If you do go to the water park make sure you get a ice cream pail. The whole family can share it.

15 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Yes, you can upgrade passes at any time, but the expiration date and price difference to upgrade will be the same- they don't pro-rate the additional charge for the length of time left on the pass.

Still, it's not a bad idea, as you can wait until you think you really want to visit the waterparks.

TCD

Thanks...yeah, I figured as much.  Our family is joining us in October and they want to spend a day at one of the water parks, which is why we are considering the upgrade.  If we go once with them, it's silly not to upgrade the AP.

10 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

Yes the water parks are worth just a couple hours. We have gone the last 3 summers spent a week at the Fort and only did the water parks for a few hours on a couple of the days, lots of fun. I don't know if you have been to Disney water parks, but it's like the main parks where it's themed. You don't really see stair cases and water pipes like you do at local water parks. So it's nice to just be there. From what we have found you can do everything at least once in about 3 hours or less and that's not even rushing. If you do go to the water park make sure you get a ice cream pail. The whole family can share it.

Thanks.  Good feedback.  I'm pretty sure we'd spend most of our time in the small kid section with a couple bigger slides and/or tube style ones, so I was hoping a 3 hour trip was sufficient.