So as a ha ha post a few days ago I mentioned this.   Now unfortunately I'm serious.  We need to re home her.  She need a younger family that can spend more time with her.  If there is a fiend willing to take in a beautiful and very friendly pure breed GSD.  Please let me know.   Only to a ligit good home!!! I can't seem to put a picture on here but we are at the fort now.  And we may surrender her to a shelter?   We are out of options with this dog ;-(.  We paid a lot of money for this dog but will give her away to a ligit good home.  

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am praying hard that everything will work out.  Joan is so very beautiful that I literally cried when I saw her. The hardest part will be letting her be our son's service dog and not my special g

It's been a minute. 🙂 Just a quick update to this story. Our beautiful girl, Addie, will be 6 years old in April! Time flies by so fast. Addie has been such a blessing to our lives, we love her v

Just wanted to update. Joan got a name change to Addie a few days after being here. It's short for Adilee, a German name that means "powerful." Our son really loved the meaning of it as he feels like

Posted Images

What is the problem with her? I mean, what is she doing that you want to re-home her? 

We are eventually looking for a GSD for a therapy dog for my son. The organization, in Tampa, has already approved him to have a dog trained free. We live in Lake City, FL on 8 rural acres. We have a 15 year old Newfoundland, who is past her life expectancy and a young dog that we recently rescued who was paralyzed in a ditch. 

I'm not sure the rest of my family would be ready to take on a new dog yet, but maybe since it's the perfect dog for therapy purposes. We are home all the time. My daughter and SIL and two of our grandchildren also live on the property in a separate home. I would really have to talk to DH about it, and he is sleeping now. 

Is your pup fixed, shots, etc? 

She is fixed up to date on all shots and care.  And the issue is separation anxiety. Yesterday we were gone four hours she piled the bottom of her crate apart.  Once she got that open she eat a hole in the carpet in the middle of the rv. Today we were gone four hours again.  His time she pulled in the rug over the hole eat it then defficated in her crate and sent that flying 

she is a very smart dog but cant handle being alone 

6 hours ago, Andrew Roberts said:

She is fixed up to date on all shots and care.  And the issue is separation anxiety. Yesterday we were gone four hours she piled the bottom of her crate apart.  Once she got that open she eat a hole in the carpet in the middle of the rv. Today we were gone four hours again.  His time she pulled in the rug over the hole eat it then defficated in her crate and sent that flying 

she is a very smart dog but cant handle being alone 

That's too bad.  I am not a dog person and God knew this when he brought us our pup (our daughter had begged for a dog for almost a year before we gave in).  We've only had a few issues here and there and most of them we could chalk up to human error, not a doggie problem.  All that to say, I understand your frustration.  It does sound like your pup needs to be in a home where people are there most of the day... or they have a large fenced in yard for when they are not home.  I hope you find a good fit soon.  Maybe you could find a rescue that would take her?

If you can possibly get her to a breed rescue instead of a shelter, please do.  Dogs with SA can have a really hard time getting adopted out of shelters and if they're also very smart and energetic, can also decline really quickly in a shelter environment (making them even harder to adopt out). Looks like there are a couple of rescue groups not far from WDW...

German Shepherd Rescue of Central FL - http://www.gsrfl.org/index.html

Tampa Bay German Shepherd Rescue - http://members.petfinder.com/~FL371/

Another thought if you just need to survive the rest of your stay at the Fort and decide what to do when you get home - kennel her at Best Friends when you're going out.  The SA might not be as bad there with people around, and even if it is, she won't be tearing up your RV.

All the above a great thoughts and thank you.  She is a very nice dog and we will do our best to re home her.  She is in need of a job she is a bored GSD and in need of something to occupy her time.   I hope the service dog life works out for her.  And yes we would try the GSD Rescues first 

10 hours ago, Roberta said:

What is the problem with her? I mean, what is she doing that you want to re-home her? 

We are eventually looking for a GSD for a therapy dog for my son. The organization, in Tampa, has already approved him to have a dog trained free. We live in Lake City, FL on 8 rural acres. We have a 15 year old Newfoundland, who is past her life expectancy and a young dog that we recently rescued who was paralyzed in a ditch. 

I'm not sure the rest of my family would be ready to take on a new dog yet, but maybe since it's the perfect dog for therapy purposes. We are home all the time. My daughter and SIL and two of our grandchildren also live on the property in a separate home. I would really have to talk to DH about it, and he is sleeping now. 

Is your pup fixed, shots, etc? 

Also Roberts

if you guys decided this is not the time for you.  Could you forward the info for the therapy dog group.  We would donate the dog to the group if they would train her and give her to a person in need 

Andrew Roberts, 

We have discussed it as a family and we will give your girl a good home. We have no problem with having a dog with separation anxiety. The dog we rescued from a ditch had severe separation anxiety, although he is getting better. Three members of our family are almost always home. We thought he had been hit by a car, but he actually had tick paralysis and is healthy now, just a tad emotional. This is what put us behind in getting a service dog. He needed lots of time an attention, but he is now a strong secure dog. Can't be alone though, which is not a problem with our family. 

Because we live on a rural property, with our daughter & family in another home here, we have a good set up for dogs with separation anxiety. And, for the past six months, plenty of experience with one. 

The organization that will train is called Guardian Angels. http://www.medicalservicedogs.org/  Our son has already been approved and the best age to start training is 1 year old. This may be meant to be. What is her name? She will make a great service dog because she will be by his side 24/7. We considered training Blaze (found dog) but he is a few years old, not the optimal age to start. 

I can give you excellent vet references, and you are welcome to come meet us and see our home and property, and meet our other dogs if you like. We live in Lake City that is right off Interstate 75, if you go home that direction. We do live a good 20 minutes or so outside out town, but let me know what you want to do. If not, we can meet you somewhere to pick her up. I will also be glad to stay in touch with you with photos and updates. 

Roberta

3 hours ago, Roberta said:

Andrew Roberts, 

We have discussed it as a family and we will give your girl a good home. We have no problem with having a dog with separation anxiety. The dog we rescued from a ditch had severe separation anxiety, although he is getting better. Three members of our family are almost always home. We thought he had been hit by a car, but he actually had tick paralysis and is healthy now, just a tad emotional. This is what put us behind in getting a service dog. He needed lots of time an attention, but he is now a strong secure dog. Can't be alone though, which is not a problem with our family. 

Because we live on a rural property, with our daughter & family in another home here, we have a good set up for dogs with separation anxiety. And, for the past six months, plenty of experience with one. 

The organization that will train is called Guardian Angels. http://www.medicalservicedogs.org/  Our son has already been approved and the best age to start training is 1 year old. This may be meant to be. What is her name? She will make a great service dog because she will be by his side 24/7. We considered training Blaze (found dog) but he is a few years old, not the optimal age to start. 

I can give you excellent vet references, and you are welcome to come meet us and see our home and property, and meet our other dogs if you like. We live in Lake City that is right off Interstate 75, if you go home that direction. We do live a good 20 minutes or so outside out town, but let me know what you want to do. If not, we can meet you somewhere to pick her up. I will also be glad to stay in touch with you with photos and updates. 

Roberta

I sent you a PM with my phone # please call me 

I am praying hard that everything will work out. 

Joan is so very beautiful that I literally cried when I saw her. The hardest part will be letting her be our son's service dog and not my special girl. I've had a sweet spot for German Shepherds and Great Danes since I was a little girl. 

Interestingly, of all the dogs (and cats) that we have ever had, we have never intentionally set out to acquire them. They just sort of find their way to us, where they live until ripe old ages. The entrance to our property is a what I call a Realtor's nightmare. As you drive through the little wooded areas, the first thing you see, on the right, is a clearing with one of our dogs' grave, complete with standing tombstone and a photo of him laser etched on it.

We have two cats as well, although I couldn't tell you for sure where either came from. One we brought when we moved from WV, but she just randomly moved in with us there. The other has done the same since we lived here. I think we have that "sucker" gene that animals can sniff out. :lol: 

14 hours ago, Roberta said:

I am praying hard that everything will work out. 

Joan is so very beautiful that I literally cried when I saw her. The hardest part will be letting her be our son's service dog and not my special girl. I've had a sweet spot for German Shepherds and Great Danes since I was a little girl. 

Interestingly, of all the dogs (and cats) that we have ever had, we have never intentionally set out to acquire them. They just sort of find their way to us, where they live until ripe old ages. The entrance to our property is a what I call a Realtor's nightmare. As you drive through the little wooded areas, the first thing you see, on the right, is a clearing with one of our dogs' grave, complete with standing tombstone and a photo of him laser etched on it.

We have two cats as well, although I couldn't tell you for sure where either came from. One we brought when we moved from WV, but she just randomly moved in with us there. The other has done the same since we lived here. I think we have that "sucker" gene that animals can sniff out. :lol: 

Update us with Pictures! 

We are all very excited to meet Joan. Even our neighbor (we only have one, and she's on the other side of woods) is super excited. Dogs are her life, she lives on retirement and volunteers full time at North Florida Animal Rescue. 

Even our youngest son, who is 23 and usually wrapped up in his own life and not interested in family things, is very anxious. He's been doing a lot of research on German Shepherds and talking about Joan a lot. 

ghD0WER.jpg0CmAmpu.jpgQQ4w50H.jpg

46 minutes ago, Roberta said:

We are all very excited to meet Joan. Even our neighbor (we only have one, and she's on the other side of woods) is super excited. Dogs are her life, she lives on retirement and volunteers full time at North Florida Animal Rescue. 

Even our youngest son, who is 23 and usually wrapped up in his own life and not interested in family things, is very anxious. He's been doing a lot of research on German Shepherds and talking about Joan a lot. 

ghD0WER.jpg0CmAmpu.jpgQQ4w50H.jpg

Love this update...