• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Determined camper heading to the Fort. Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'll try with Tapatalk.

State of Emergency called in GA... for (a possible) 2 to 5 inches of snow.  How will we ever survive?!!  

Ok here in Delaware we have about 2-3 inches of snow really nothing to get worked up about, on the other hand our son in Taos New Mexico called to complain that it's 9 degrees below zero there with a wind chill of around -19, but go figure he still went skiing they got 12 inches yesterday with it still snowing into today

5 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Whoa Gwen - that's some real snow right there!

It just started here.  We're only supposed to get 3-6, but the coast (not so far from here) may get slammed.

Stay safe everyone!!

Yes, that's some serious snow for us.  And it's gonna be around awhile.  Hope you don't get too much!

We've got about an inch of ice on the road in front of the house. I'm pretty sure they will be cancelling school tomorrow with a delayed start on Tuesday which is good as Rene wouldn't be able to make it out of the neighborhood until the ice melts (the only ways out for us are all uphill).

We're having a heat wave!  After a low of 7, it's back up to 22!  

Roads are still pretty covered.  Schools have already been cancelled for tomorrow.  David is going to try and get out of our development this afternoon.  It's uphill for us, too.

13 minutes ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Despite it snowing all afternoon/evening ,it was so fluffy it only added up to about 3" . We took the storm as an opportunity to restaurant hop in downtown Nashua. Plenty of parking and no lines no waiting. :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

We got 3" and all the restaurants closed.  LOL.  

Having lived all over the north and in the south I think southerner's philosophy of shutting down until it melts far beats out being a manly man and having to shovel snow or drive through all of the salty slush. [emoji6]

Ditto. Although to be fair, the Southern philosophy of waiting until the snow melts wouldn't work up north. Unless they are ok being stranded until June.

Mid 30s to low 40s around the Tampa Bay area this morning, but we are strong and will prevail !

Our biggest issue is the College Football Championship game this evening which will cause traffic nightmares in the area where I work.

Lots open at 11 for tailgating, game starts at 8.  

I'll be heading westbound around the airport and going home using an alternate out of the way route to avoid the stadium traffic mess.

I didn't move from the couch on Saturday. It was just too cold.

Yesterday, we actually got out some. Roads were completely dry, it was just cold, but warmer than Saturday. We pulled the camper out of storage to just double check that the builder was putting in true 8' garage doors in their homes where we asked for one, and they do. It also gave me a chance to just check things over on the camper.

We also had our "free" dinner at Red Robin yesterday. We had a gift card from Christmas and we were due our free entree from the burger club. Score!

17 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Ditto. Although to be fair, the Southern philosophy of waiting until the snow melts wouldn't work up north. Unless they are ok being stranded until June.

This for sure!!

And if the stores/restaurants around here closed every time we had a few inches of snow, our economy would crash faster than a one-winged jumbo jet. 

The Saturday before Christmas we had a pretty good storm. It snowed the night before and much of the day.  Normally I wouldn't go anywhere near the malls that time of year as the traffic backs up for miles. I just needed to go to Trader Joe's but it's right in the middle of the shopping nightmare.  I put my boots on, hopped in the truck and headed over. The roads were well plowed (our town does a bang-up job of that) and there was  zero traffic, plenty of parking, and the people working there kept thanking me for coming in.  :)

Our schools are closed again tomorrow.  David and I went out this afternoon.  Major roads are clear, but lesser roads still are icy.  Tomorrow and tomorrow night are supposed to be above freezing, so hopefully some if this ice will begin to melt.  

11 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

This for sure!!

And if the stores/restaurants around here closed every time we had a few inches of snow, our economy would crash faster than a one-winged jumbo jet. 

The Saturday before Christmas we had a pretty good storm. It snowed the night before and much of the day.  Normally I wouldn't go anywhere near the malls that time of year as the traffic backs up for miles. I just needed to go to Trader Joe's but it's right in the middle of the shopping nightmare.  I put my boots on, hopped in the truck and headed over. The roads were well plowed (our town does a bang-up job of that) and there was  zero traffic, plenty of parking, and the people working there kept thanking me for coming in.  :)

My DD likes the "wait till the snow melts" philosophy.  

I dont know about other southern states but here in Oklahoma we just don't have enough snow plows and salt trucks to keep the roads clear after a storm.  We got approx 4" Thursday night/ Friday morning. So no school Friday. I worked Friday and had no problem getting around in my Yukon.  However as usual the sun and cars melted enough of the snow Friday that on Friday night it refroze and when I drove to Walmart Saturday morning the roads were hazardous.    I think if they could get the roads plowed and salted right after the snow it wouldn't refreeze over night.   To me it's always the second day after a storm is the worse driving day. 

I dont know about other southern states but here in Oklahoma we just don't have enough snow plows and salt trucks to keep the roads clear after a storm.  We got approx 4" Thursday night/ Friday morning. So no school Friday. I worked Friday and had no problem getting around in my Yukon.  However as usual the sun and cars melted enough of the snow Friday that on Friday night it refroze and when I drove to Walmart Saturday morning the roads were hazardous.    I think if they could get the roads plowed and salted right after the snow it wouldn't refreeze over night.   To me it's always the second day after a storm is the worse driving day. 

Same here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I was in Norman quite a few years ago when a storm can thru the beginning of January.  There had been an ice storm around Christmas and they hadn't cleaned up from that when the snow came.

I remember watching the OK City news and they said that 2 of their 4 snow plows were broken so they were going to use road graders to plow.

Norman didn't do anything, main roads were plowed by cars mashing the snow down.  Side streets were not touched at all unless residents decided to clear them.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

I was in Norman quite a few years ago when a storm can thru the beginning of January.  There had been an ice storm around Christmas and they hadn't cleaned up from that when the snow came.

I remember watching the OK City news and they said that 2 of their 4 snow plows were broken so they were going to use road graders to plow.

Norman didn't do anything, main roads were plowed by cars mashing the snow down.  Side streets were not touched at all unless residents decided to clear them.

Sounds about right.  I understand why municipalities in Oklahoma don't invest in snow removal equipment. 

I would say on average we have two maybe three days a year where we will get snow and or ice. Is it worth investing all that money for only two or three days? 

It snowed Thursday night Friday morning. 3 to 4 inches. And all of it was pretty much gone by Sunday.

18 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I dont know about other southern states but here in Oklahoma we just don't have enough snow plows and salt trucks to keep the roads clear after a storm.  ...   I think if they could get the roads plowed and salted right after the snow it wouldn't refreeze over night.   To me it's always the second day after a storm is the worse driving day. 

Makes sense that if you only get a few inches a winter (vs a few feet or more here) there's no sense to have equipment bought and paid for and just sitting around.

The city of Manchester, a bit north of here, just got a new School Superintendent who hails from Rochester NY (who averages 100" of snow a year) and he's having none of this closing school for a couple of inches of snow stuff. But the towns and cities up here have huge budgets for snow removal equipment and are usually very on the ball. Our town does a bang-up job of plowing.  It's been rare that even after a big storm, our streets weren't really well and quickly cleared.

Where I grew up we averaged 140" of snow per year, and school closings were extremely rare. It took an epic lake effect event with zero visibility to close schools. But snow removal is just a fact of life, and they are good at it. Where I live now it is not a budgetary priority nor should it be. Schools close in anticipation of snow....lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk