1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Fun Fact:  Spaceship Earth is closer to the Fort entrance than Cinderella Castle is.

TCD

That is a little bit of data manipulation in that statement. The key part being the "Entrance". The distance from the boat dock at Fort Wilderness to the castle is closer than the distance from the bus stop at the Outpost to Spaceship Earth. It is also 1.31 miles from the Outpost check-in to the boat dock as the crow flies.

29 minutes ago, Specularius said:

That is a little bit of data manipulation in that statement. The key part being the "Entrance". The distance from the boat dock at Fort Wilderness to the castle is closer than the distance from the bus stop at the Outpost to Spaceship Earth. It is also 1.31 miles from the Outpost check-in to the boat dock as the crow flies.

You're right.  But, my point is that Epcot is a lot closer to the Fort than most folks realize.  It doesn't seem that way because of how you have to drive to get there, but it's not very far from the Fort as the crow flies.

TCD

38 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

As the crow flys about 1/2 mile to the edge of the Epcot parking lot. I've always thought an elevated golf cart/walking path with a big parking lot at the end would be cool for Fort Guests.

Where are our hovercars and personal jetpacks that were promised to us back in the 60s?  They were supposed to be here by now.

They would solve a lot of internal transportation issues!

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Where are our hovercars and personal jetpacks that were promised to us back in the 60s?  They were supposed to be here by now.

They would solve a lot of internal transportation issues!

But think of the mess when that huge family lined up side by side stops in front of you and just hovers there while looking in their giant endless backpack for their map.

It's really ridiculous that they spent the money on these things.  The Fort existed for 40+ years without bear-proof cans, and I still doubt that a bear ever rummaged through one of the old cans.

TCD

I wonder which came first- these bear cans or the alligator attack?

Disney got lambasted because they didn't do enough to prevent the alligator attack; could this be a result of that? There are bears in Central Florida, this Disney has to do everything possible to prevent a possible attack. (Of course, it's a moot point when people pile up garbage outside because it doesn't fit inside.)

14 minutes ago, ependydad...Doug said:

I wonder which came first- these bear cans or the alligator attack?

Disney got lambasted because they didn't do enough to prevent the alligator attack; could this be a result of that? There are bears in Central Florida, this Disney has to do everything possible to prevent a possible attack. (Of course, it's a moot point when people pile up garbage outside because it doesn't fit inside.)

The new trashcans showed up in the fall of 2015:

The alligator attack was summer 2016.

and you're right about the trash piled up outside of the cans.  There are also poorly hidden trash enclosures around the Fort where trash bags are stashed until the big truck comes and picks them up.  Those aren't cleared out on a daily basis.

TCD

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The new trashcans showed up in the fall of 2015:

The alligator attack was summer 2016.

and you're right about the trash piled up outside of the cans.  There are also poorly hidden trash enclosures  bear buffets around the Fort where trash bags are stashed until the big truck comes and picks them up.  Those aren't cleared out on a daily basis.

TCD

Fixed it for you...

Perhaps the new trash cans are just a cool new conversation starter....

I stopped sending my kids to the trash cans because I did not want to spend my vacation in the emergency room with burns from the heat of the metal or fingers smashed by heavy doors.  So, lucky me, I now get to take out the trash on vacation too.

e Something else to think about, I was there when they had a fire call, some fool had dumped their burning charcoal in one of the trash drums and started a fire, the new trash cans shut and will smother out a fire. He claimed this was a common ocurance and maybe this is another safety measure. They had the loop closed and several  fire trucks were there.

22 hours ago, BigTom said:

e Something else to think about, I was there when they had a fire call, some fool had dumped their burning charcoal in one of the trash drums and started a fire, the new trash cans shut and will smother out a fire. He claimed this was a common ocurance and maybe this is another safety measure. They had the loop closed and several  fire trucks were there.

:huh:  I always make fun of the signs on the dumpsters at FL state parks because they say not to do this. I never imagined that anyone would ever need a sign to understand what a bad idea that is. I suppose I was giving people too much credit.