59 minutes ago, Andrew Roberts said:

Anyone else think the new bear proof trash and recycling bins and a pain in the  well you know

they are also to few and to far between 

Yes, in summer you can sear some skin off lifting the lids (well that's what it feels like) and if you have your hands full you are out of luck.

Also hard for the kids to open.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

Also hard for the kids to open.

One big thing that bothers me is how heavy the lids are, and how much of a risk it is that a kid could smash his fingers with that lid.  If I had young kids, I wouldn't let them near those things.

Also, it's gross that you have to use that handle to open the lid.  Think about what's on peoples' hands that are bringing trash to the cans.

It's really ridiculous that they spent the money on these things.  The Fort existed for 40+ years without bear-proof cans, and I still doubt that a bear ever rummaged through one of the old cans.

TCD

Last time I was there the darn lid almost took my head off as I was dumpster diving.

Bear proof? At Fort Wilderness? 

I must be totally missing something. Fort Wilderness isn't exactly "wild" enough for bears. 

Maybe they are intended to be rat proof or something? I saw a HUGE rat - I'm not exaggerating, it was the size of a cat - at MK one night. I sat on a brick wall right outside of a store. There was a bunch of foliage behind the wall. A rat like I have never seen the likes of went running out and across the pavement to the next patch of bushes. 

I had the creeps and chills the rest of the night, especially considering the foliage had been touching my back. Getting creeped out thinking about it. 

57 minutes ago, Roberta said:

Bear proof? At Fort Wilderness? 

I must be totally missing something. Fort Wilderness isn't exactly "wild" enough for bears. 

Maybe they are intended to be rat proof or something? I saw a HUGE rat - I'm not exaggerating, it was the size of a cat - at MK one night. I sat on a brick wall right outside of a store. There was a bunch of foliage behind the wall. A rat like I have never seen the likes of went running out and across the pavement to the next patch of bushes. 

I had the creeps and chills the rest of the night, especially considering the foliage had been touching my back. Getting creeped out thinking about it. 

There have been bear sightings at the Fort from time to time. 

7 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I still doubt this.

There have allegedly been sightings at the Fort.  When that happens, a form letter gets posted on the Comfort Station bulletin boards, like this:

vaga8uge.jpg

FWApril2010391.jpg

In this day an age, if there was actually a bear at the Fort, I would expect to see some photos of it.

We saw some bears near the Fort once, and I was sure to get a photo:

11712015.jpg

TCD

7 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

1 minute ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I still doubt this.

There have allegedly been sightings at the Fort.  When that happens, a form letter gets posted on the Comfort Station bulletin boards, like this:

vaga8uge.jpg

FWApril2010391.jpg

In this day an age, if there was actually a bear at the Fort, I would expect to see some photos of it.

11712015.jpg

TCD

39 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I did a quick online search for bears at fort wilderness. And clicked on images and this popped up. Lol. 

http://s1305.photobucket.com/user/H2odivers/media/IMG_1586_zpsyqmsiklo.png.html]IMG_1586_zpsyqmsiklo.png[/URL]

Shoot.

It stinks to get old.

There's a photo of me and Twin #1 with a bear on the porch of Crockett's Tavern:

ThanksgivingFW2008211.jpg

So, there have been bears sighted at the Fort!

TCD

8 hours ago, Beckers said:

I still remember our fishing guide telling us "bear sightings" always spark up when the maintenance guys wanted some OT to "keep an eye out" for bears.

I remember you sharing this tidbit before, and I totally believe it.  For a while there, there were alleged bear sightings a couple of times per year.  But not one photo or video of these alleged bears.  There's no way there have been that many actual bear sightings and not a single photo.

TCD

12 hours ago, Beckers said:

I still remember our fishing guide telling us "bear sightings" always spark up when the maintenance guys wanted some OT to "keep an eye out" for bears.

You'd think this would happen a lot around the holidays to generate a little extra Christmas money :lol:

18 hours ago, djsamuel said:

There are plenty of bears in Central Florida. Why wouldn't they be at Fort Wilderness? They even are seen in Orlando itself.

16 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

People around my part of Alabama didn't think bears were around either but then one showed up on a person's porch. Last count put them at several hundred.

Oh, I know there are bears in Central Florida.

The Orlando Sentinel published a huge article about "Bearlando" a couple of years ago: http://interactive.orlandosentinel.com/bears/

There's an interactive map on there which pinpoints over 13,000 bear nuisance reports in the area from 2008-2015.  It looks like 2 out of the 13K were at the Fort- one in 2010, and one in 2014.  There were a few more on WDW property.

I'm just saying that I would expect to see a photo or video of a bear if it actually was spotted on Fort Wilderness property.

ETA- there are 298 less black bears in Florida after the big 2015 bear hunt: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/10/29/298-bears-killed-in-florida-hunt-that-ignored-science/?utm_term=.6fd53a57a907

TCD

On 1/17/2017 at 8:49 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

I still doubt this.

vaga8uge.jpg

FWApril2010391.jpg

11712015.jpg

TCD

Didn't know EPCOT was considered near the Fort! :lol:

14 hours ago, Specularius said:

Looks like they did not have a season at all for 2016 but may try again in 2017. Personally I believe hunting to be a vital part of the management process.

I agree that hunting is a necessary wildlife management tool.  But, that bear hunt was handled poorly, and there was a lot of outcry about that.

10 hours ago, Travisma said:

Didn't know EPCOT was considered near the Fort! :lol:

Fun Fact:  Spaceship Earth is closer to the Fort entrance than Cinderella Castle is.

TCD