I just read about Disney moving the rope drop show to the castle stage.  This is terrible.  I will say it was getting a bit crowed waiting for the show and people would get a bit pushy going through the tunnel, but if you had to move it just move it to the other side of the train station where its still on main street..

Oh Disney, do traditions mean nothing to you!!

8 minutes ago, Beckers said:

I wonder if it had anything to do with safety too. That's a lot of sitting ducks waiting for the train show, with people so close by that haven't been through security.

speaking of security when we were at EPCOT everyone had to do metal detectors.

You make a good point about safety, but if safety was the primary concern, there's no reason they couldn't have kept the same staff with dancers and such instead of dumbing down and shortening the show.

I've noticed that they are constantly switching up the safety screenings.  When we were heading in to the MK on the evening of 12/30, they made every single guest go through the metal detectors as well.  Switching up the safety screenings seems like a good idea.

TCD

43 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I've noticed that they are constantly switching up the safety screenings.  When we were heading in to the MK on the evening of 12/30, they made every single guest go through the metal detectors as well.  Switching up the safety screenings seems like a good idea.

TCD

Agreed.  Saw something this week that there's now a safety checkpoint where the walkway from the Contemporary dumps into the MK entrance.

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You make a good point about safety, but if safety was the primary concern, there's no reason they couldn't have kept the same staff with dancers and such instead of dumbing down and shortening the show.

TCD

Disney is late to the game.

Since summer, every line at Busch Gardens has a walk thru metal detector.  Haven't made it to SeaWorld lately, but I imagine they are the same as Busch

Legoland wands everyone, and so does the Orlando Eye.

If a site is going to have you go thru a detector, they should give you notice so you can have your pockets empty and ready to go thru.  This would save a lot of time. They need to have the little baskets set up before the scanners so you have time to get ready.

When we fly, all of my metal except my belt is already in my scanned carry-on, so I don't have anything in my pockets to take out.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

Disney is late to the game.

Since summer, every line at Busch Gardens has a walk thru metal detector.  Haven't made it to SeaWorld lately, but I imagine they are the same as Busch

Legoland wands everyone, and so does the Orlando Eye.

If a site is going to have you go thru a detector, they should give you notice so you can have your pockets empty and ready to go thru.  This would save a lot of time. They need to have the little baskets set up before the scanners so you have time to get ready.

When we fly, all of my metal except my belt is already in my scanned carry-on, so I don't have anything in my pockets to take out.

SeaWorld San Antonio had the metal detectors at the opening weekend last year,  but the next week they were gone,  and they did not return all season.  They just do a bag check at what used to be the main gate and have put in pass check gates at a new main entrance Sea World, and the main entrance to Aquatica.  At our Sea World, you can currently visit Discovery Point area for free  ( Dolphins and Aquarium area)  if you take the bus and bypass the parking fee.

Six Flags Fiesta Texas has had full metal detector screening since the year after 9/11.

On 1/11/2017 at 10:05 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

Don't forget the train also went into a major refurb the same day. The change could be as a result.

I don't mind the metal detectors, although I've never been put through one. I guess us 50 something women don't look too sketchy. 

Unfortunately, my disabled son was "randomly" selected every single time, without fail. He looks nervous, because he is. He also looks mostly normal at first glance. A closer look will reveal question mark shaped scar around the entire side of his head, and a fairly large dent under his hair on one side, called "wasting." The titanium rods all the way up one leg, pins in both legs and titanium plates in his brain clearly don't show. 

I completely understand why they target him. He doesn't make good eye contact, and nervously darts his eyes about. Even so, it separates us from him every time and security tries to make us keep moving. My son becomes even more nervous because it takes him a minute to process questions, even more so when he is already stressed, so he can never keep up the pace of what they want him to do. It would be so much better if Disney just put everyone through the metal detector every single time. We could all stay together, and I could help guide him. 

Disney really is behind on this type of security. When we lived up in the DC area, we used to go to Kings Dominion. They put every single guest through metal detectors and that was 25 years ago. 

Our youngest son, 23, was with us on this last trip and he got randomly selected once. Neither DH or I was ever selected. 

10 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

Their equipment is not very sophisticated either. My DH was wanded a few times instead of going through the scanner (He has a scooter). The wand did not even detect his knees (2) hip, and back implants.

They never picked up any of my son's titanium either, and he had LOTS of it. From ankle to hip rods, pins everywhere, four plates in his head. I know for a fact that most metal detectors alert on titanium because we've been through them in a number of other places.  

On 1/11/2017 at 9:56 AM, Beckers said:

I wonder if it had anything to do with safety too. That's a lot of sitting ducks waiting for the train show, with people so close by that haven't been through security.

speaking of security when we were at EPCOT everyone had to do metal detectors.

I hate it when EVERYBODY has go through the metal detectors.  I prefer to be "Randomly Chosen" everytime.  It makes me feel special.  I usually make a big deal out of Randomly Chosen.  I just try to have some fun with it.  I can usually get the security guy laughing by the end.  

On 1/15/2017 at 1:13 PM, Roberta said:

I don't mind the metal detectors, although I've never been put through one. I guess us 50 something women don't look too sketchy. 

That's funny because our first day at MK in September when I was randomly selected I noticed all the people randomly selected around me were my fellow 50 something or older women. I thought the selectors thought we were the least likely to resist.  My 15 yr old son who was in another line didn't know the randomly selecting process so he just followed the person in front of him to the metal detectors. We teased him afterward about randomly selecting himself. 

Going through O'hare one Sunday morning their so called random in-depth checks wasn't random at all. It was very easy to see he was picking every third person. My guess is he could only count up to three. Told the officer testing my computer for explosives about it and he could do was laugh. He added something to the effect his job was to make passengers feel the government was being proactive regardless of how ineffective the process was.

6 hours ago, keith_h said:

Going through O'hare one Sunday morning their so called random in-depth checks wasn't random at all. It was very easy to see he was picking every third person. My guess is he could only count up to three. Told the officer testing my computer for explosives about it and he could do was laugh. He added something to the effect his job was to make passengers feel the government was being proactive regardless of how ineffective the process was.

That's why they call it: "Security Theater"  So much of it is for show just so the Politicians can say they are doing "something".

Of course the truth is that there are much more effective screening processes, but they have been deemed politically incorrect...

This is an interesting subject and one that is easily misunderstood.

Of course, the larger the metal object is, the easier it will be detected.  If you have a body full of titanium as some do, it should be detected using modern detectors.  However, this is true only if you assume that the detector being used is set at the proper sensitivity and are in good working order.  Hand- held wands are notorious for having low power levels due to batteries being either low or defective.

It's also true that non-ferrous metals such as titanium and stainless steel are more difficult to detect than ferrous metals containing a lot of iron.  Some smaller implants will go undetected unless the detector is set to a higher sensitivity and is in good working order.  I have some titanium left over from a leg injury and it goes undetected many times but will create an alarm at other times.  Those that have several implants in their bodies should be detected by the latest detectors that are properly maintained, but some older detectors may even miss people like this especially if the detectors are not properly adjusted and maintained.  Whether a particular metal detector can detect titanium depends on the sensitivity and discrimination factors of that particular metal detector.

Most of us that carry metal around in our bodies have became used to hit and miss detectors.

On 1/11/2017 at 9:25 AM, bdm said:

I just read about Disney moving the rope drop show to the castle stage.  This is terrible.  I will say it was getting a bit crowed waiting for the show and people would get a bit pushy going through the tunnel, but if you had to move it just move it to the other side of the train station where its still on main street..

Oh Disney, do traditions mean nothing to you!!

We were just there this week  We liked the change to holding the opening ceremony on the main stage   I liked that everyone would get coffee and breakfast on main trees prior to 9 am, and then leisurely watch the show at 9  We like the old show better, but preferred this format and venue  

• 1 month later...

I actually enjoyed the new opening procedure.  Made it through the turnstiles without too much trouble.  Got a breakfast sandwich, enjoyed it sitting at the tables outside the little restaurant at the end of Main Street,  which had a great view of the castle, then when the park opened got right over to Space Mountain.