If you are driving down and are not opposed to cooking on vacation, cooking Thanksgiving dinner at the Fort is one of life's greatest pleasures.  I like to do some of the sides ahead of time and freeze them, but we cook the turkey outside while enjoying the sights and smells of the day.  A few beers, a Big Easy fryer and a nice bird and you have all the makings of a great day.  

If you don't want to cook, find someone who IS cooking their dinner outside, and when they go in their RV to grab something you can help yourself to free dinner.  Just be quick and carry some silicone oven gloves with you.  

If you want the traditional Thanksgiving meal of crab legs, clams and mussels, then the Cape May Clambake may fit the bill at the Beach Club.  That's where we ate a few years ago when we were there during Thanksgiving... I like Dave's idea better, but we were staying at Saratoga Springs and not the Fort.

1 hour ago, Duane said:

If you want the traditional Thanksgiving meal of crab legs, clams and mussels, then the Cape May Clambake may fit the bill at the Beach Club.  That's where we ate a few years ago when we were there during Thanksgiving... I like Dave's idea better, but we were staying at Saratoga Springs and not the Fort.

Even though that sounds good that's not my idea of a traditional thanksgiving dinner.  Is that a northeastern thing?

6 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

If you are driving down and are not opposed to cooking on vacation, cooking Thanksgiving dinner at the Fort is one of life's greatest pleasures.  I like to do some of the sides ahead of time and freeze them, but we cook the turkey outside while enjoying the sights and smells of the day.  A few beers, a Big Easy fryer and a nice bird and you have all the makings of a great day.  

If you don't want to cook, find someone who IS cooking their dinner outside, and when they go in their RV to grab something you can help yourself to free dinner.  Just be quick and carry some silicone oven gloves with you.  

We'll be there this year, Dave....will you drive down and cook for us? ?

23 hours ago, PghBob said:

Thanks for the replies so far.  We probably won't cook while on the trip, but I appreciate the "few beers" part.  Liberty Tree Tavern is our favorite in the MK, so that is a distinct possibility.  I appreciate the help.

It's a good thing you're not planning to cook a Thanksgiving dinner in the cabin.

When they renovated the cabins, they took out the full-sized ovens.  Now all they have is a small convection/microwave oven.  I'm not even sure if you could cook a turkey in one, and even if you can, it would have to be a very small turkey.

TCD

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:46 PM, h2odivers...Ray said:

Even though that sounds good that's not my idea of a traditional thanksgiving dinner.  Is that a northeastern thing?

I was kidding... not sure if that's a NE thing or not. I would say probably not... I am as "country" as a collard green. We still laugh about spending T'giving at Cape May.  The food was good though.

You all are making me confused.  We'll be there next Thanksgiving for the first holiday (excluding Halloween) for 25 or so years.   We celebrated Thanksgiving at the Fort many times when the kids were little.  I'd cook/freeze the big items at home and cook all the sides there.  But now that's just the two of us and I only have a microwave/convection, and you are talking about seafood, Cape May is sounding really good. 

17 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Go for the crab legs, Gwen!!  :)

If it were just me I'd do it in a heartbeat.  But David doesn't like crab legs, and he doesn't like to go to Cape May unless they have shrimp on the buffet.  And I think that's only on Sundays.  But I will try to talk him into it!