Not that it really has anything to do with this thread and is in no way an excuse for the manufacturers to put undersized axles on trailers, but how many on here travel with full tanks of water. 

I know we travel with about a half a tank of water, one for emergencies and two because that's what the manufacturer suggests. We have a rear kitchen with the fresh water tank in the back and most of the storage is in the front.  Unless we were dry camping I wouldn't see the need for full tanks. The only time I've filled ours over half full was in case we had to evacuate for storms. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Not that it really has anything to do with this thread and is in no way an excuse for the manufacturers to put undersized axles on trailers, but how many on here travel with full tanks of water. 

I know we travel with about a half a tank of water, one for emergencies and two because that's what the manufacturer suggests. We have a rear kitchen with the fresh water tank in the back and most of the storage is in the front.  Unless we were dry camping I wouldn't see the need for full tanks. The only time I've filled ours over half full was in case we had to evacuate for storms. 

Tom and I discussed that.  We have never dry camped.  We've stopped over to park at CB a few times... but even then, we didn't use water HOWEVER... I would like the option, if we came across some BLM land in the SE that we liked.  I also want a generator.  I want the option, to get out there and having a cargo capacity of under 900# just seems silly.   I mean, we have bikes so you'd need to add on 4 bikes and a bike rack; I imagine that would probably close to 200# right there (we have cheap/heavy bikes).  That means we'd have less than 700# and even if we didn't have a generator or water... if we're out for a 2 week trip, we'll have a good amount of clothing and food.  Plus, lawn chairs, hoses, bbq grill...etc.  Oh, and I don't know if GD's dry weight included the battery or full propane tanks.  So, again, 900# just seems super silly to me.

58 minutes ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

I think with ours there was right at 1000lbs of cargo capacity and it holds 600lbs of water if we were to fill it up. So we would have had a 42' 5th wheel that slept 10, and could carry 400lbs of stuff.

:unsure:

4 hours ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

We travel with our water tank empty.  Carry a few gallons of water in bottles to flush the commode if necessary.  

But in an emergency (such as evacuation) or dry camping for a few days we'd fill our city water tank.

My first TT had a broken water pump when I bought it from Camping Hell and they wouldn't fix it without an extra charge once I discovered it didn't work (Long after the sale).  So out of principle, never planned on using and traded it back in that way.  When they asked if it worked, I said "it is in the same condition as it was when I bought it from you".  As for the current 5er, I have no idea if it works as we don't plan to dry camp.  So, the water tank is empty.  We always carry bottled water with us anyway, so we can use that for the toilet and brushing teeth if we need to.

I like the Class A Idea someday down the road like Dave suggests. My wife uses the rest room for fun I think and it would be nice to not stop so often.  Also, the security like mentioned in one of my of threads would be great to not have to get out. I just don't think I want to watch the moho sit most of the year for the cost. ..at least I get to use my truck. Someday though. 

Prevosttrader.com

13 hours ago, bhall said:

So, the water tank is empty.  We always carry bottled water with us anyway, so we can use that for the toilet and brushing teeth if we need to.

We do this too.

11 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

I like the Class A Idea someday down the road like Dave suggests. My wife uses the rest room for fun I think and it would be nice to not stop so often.  Also, the security like mentioned in one of my of threads would be great to not have to get out. I just don't think I want to watch the moho sit most of the year for the cost. ..at least I get to use my truck. Someday though. 

Prevosttrader.com

Agreed.   Oh... and your comment on your wife and the bathroom, cracked me up :lol:

Prevosttrader.com

That's my problem now. Our lifestyle changed dramatically last year and the Motor home isn't getting enough use to justify it sitting there depreciating. What camping we did last year was just a couple of weekends at local state parks, and I can do that in a smaller trailer.

22 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

That's my problem now. Our lifestyle changed dramatically last year and the Motor home isn't getting enough use to justify it sitting there depreciating. What camping we did last year was just a couple of weekends at local state parks, and I can do that in a smaller trailer.

Well plan a trip back to the Fort spring break is only  $175.00 for Friday night.

This is what we want and I found at a good price. I just can't get past the loss we would take on our current trailler.

This toy has bunks in the living room plus 2 beds in the garage.

https://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=189:ed-357&catid=87:edge&Itemid=406

I have a ridiculously low CCC in my little camper (less than 300 lbs), so yes, I never travel with water in my water tank or my portapotty. I've increased it some by ditching the heavy table that comes with the camper. Once I eventually get a bigger truck, plan on relocating the spare on the camper to the back of my truck to help further. I guess what I'm saying is that while it seems weird that a camper would have a low CCC,, but it does happen and folks successfully deal with it all the time.

10 hours ago, LONE-STAR said:

This is what we want and I found at a good price. I just can't get past the loss we would take on our current trailler.

This toy has bunks in the living room plus 2 beds in the garage.

https://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=189:ed-357&catid=87:edge&Itemid=406

Interesting look... it would be nice to see in person.  Heavy though; definitely need a dually.  I like the length.  I'd really prefer to be around 36'. 

10 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I have a ridiculously low CCC in my little camper (less than 300 lbs), so yes, I never travel with water in my water tank or my portapotty. I've increased it some by ditching the heavy table that comes with the camper. Once I eventually get a bigger truck, plan on relocating the spare on the camper to the back of my truck to help further. I guess what I'm saying is that while it seems weird that a camper would have a low CCC,, but it does happen and folks successfully deal with it all the time.

I understand. 

11 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

60 miles. Really. If I let her, once every 60 miles. 

I've told Tom that it's a good thing I didn't give birth 3x, as I too would need to stop every hour.  As it is now, I usually end up dehydrated after a long days drive because I don't drink, so that we don't have to stop more than our standard gas stops.  Having the ability to use the restroom, while driving down the road, is a major plus for a MOHO; that and easy boondocking at CB.