Just found out about this, so we're trying to go.  I'd rather camp at the fairgrounds as part of their "rally", but tickets are sold out.

If you know someone who bought a spot, but now can't use it..please let me know asap!

Thank you!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lazy Days doesn't have any sites open, unfortunately I've tried. When I talked to them they said not only is it the RV show, winter, and they have 4 rallies that weekend. 

They do have dry camping at the fairgrounds. 

We will probably be up there Saturday, not in the market for anything new but like to check everything out. 

Looked into dry camping and they won't run out of room as you'll be "camping" in the parking lot.  Called and they said generators are allowed, as long as it's not "noisy"...which cracked me up?  I think they want newer, inverter, units...but I imagine all generators are noisy ?

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Looked into dry camping and they won't run out of room as you'll be "camping" in the parking lot.  Called and they said generators are allowed, as long as it's not "noisy"...which cracked me up?  I think they want newer, inverter, units...but I imagine all generators are noisy ?

I smell a new generator in someone's future. 

14 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Thank you. Derek had mentioned Lithia-Springs as well, but it's first-come/first-serve and it would be easier (at that point) to just plan on dry camping.

I'll call the Edward Medard Park tomorrow.  Thank you again.

http://www.masonicparkflorida.com/home.htm

I forgot about the Masonic park and campground, it's about 40 mins south (per Google) from the fairgrounds in Sun City. 

Have never stayed there but did go and visit the park. It's nice and clean but a no frills campground. No pool, don't recall seeing a playground.

When we were there last year they said they get a lot of snowbirds but usually try to keep a few sites open for weekend people. 

If you can't find anything else give them call, everyone was very friendly. One thing that may or may not matter is that the way most of their sites are set up your awning and door open facing the awning and door of the person next to you. The sites with only 30amp (again when we were there visiting) had good shade the 30/50amp site had very few trees. 

Right across the street is little Manatee River state park as well. They have camping but I doubt they have any openings.

19 minutes ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

http://www.masonicparkflorida.com/home.htm

I forgot about the Masonic park and campground, it's about 40 mins south (per Google) from the fairgrounds in Sun City. 

Have never stayed there but did go and visit the park. It's nice and clean but a no frills campground. No pool, don't recall seeing a playground.

When we were there last year they said they get a lot of snowbirds but usually try to keep a few sites open for weekend people. 

If you can't find anything else give them call, everyone was very friendly. One thing that may or may not matter is that the way most of their sites are set up your awning and door open facing the awning and door of the person next to you. The sites with only 30amp (again when we were there visiting) had good shade the 30/50amp site had very few trees. 

Right across the street is little Manatee River state park as well. They have camping but I doubt they have any openings.

Thanks.  We figured that if we had to be 45 minutes out, we should probably be North as that's where we're coming from.... we found a retirement community (Travelers Rest) that agreed to rent us a spot (they don't typically take families during the winter when they're full of snow-birds).  It looks like a safe, clean place and the full hook-up price was $38/night.  Dry camping at the fairgrounds would have saved us the drive time, but it still would have cost us $40 (plus we would need to buy a generator which we have been debating...).  

Because this was a last minute thing, we just decided to continue to wait on the decision to buy a generator and go with the drive time.

Glad you found a place. Most everywhere down here is full of snowbirds this time of year.

Have fun at the RV show, if you find a floorplan or trailer you like ask if they have last year's model. We found our trailer at the show but the had the same floorplan, new, but the model year before for a much better deal then the show price. Colors were a little different but I liked them better. 

1 hour ago, Cortezcapt (Derek) said:

Glad you found a place. Most everywhere down here is full of snowbirds this time of year.

Have fun at the RV show, if you find a floorplan or trailer you like ask if they have last year's model. We found our trailer at the show but the had the same floorplan, new, but the model year before for a much better deal then the show price. Colors were a little different but I liked them better. 

Yes.  When calling, I finally started with.."do you allow children?"?  This community is a 55+ community, but when I explained that we were only looking for a safe/quiet place to sleep, they  agreed to put us in the overflow area, "away from the main bulk of the residents" ?  After walking around an RV show all day, we have no plans to run around a CG.

if that doesn't work for you, there are a few campgrounds in the Ruskin area, also Simms Park, not sure where it is listed, but it is also in Ruskin.

we are planning on being there Friday, maybe we will run into you

1 hour ago, LORNADUCK said:

if that doesn't work for you, there are a few campgrounds in the Ruskin area, also Simms Park, not sure where it is listed, but it is also in Ruskin.

we are planning on being there Friday, maybe we will run into you

Hey Lorna... funny, I was just thinking about you tonight ^_^

Thank you... hopefully it all runs smoothly.  We should get to the show on Friday, sometime between 9a and 11a.  I'll FB you.  Hopefully we can say hi ^_^

So, mercy.... all that and we decided tonight, to not go.  We heard feedback on the (CRAZY) crowds today and just decided that it would be too tough with two kiddos...walking around for two days, hot and in crowds and then having to go back to an RV where we cannot play outside or use the pool...because it was a 55+ property.  

Probably for the best... but mercy, I have a headache :unsure:

3 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

In the true split-personality faahion of our family...we hopped on the road last night and are now almost to the show.  Prepared to fight the crowds and the heat...pray for us people, pray ?

If you've endured WDW in the late Spring or summer months, then the RV show will be a piece of cake.

Remember, you will be mingling with CAMPERS, the nicest people on Earth, not those uncouth unwashed masses that crush you at WDW.