I am visiting the fort in June with my family and our best friend's family. When we made our initial reservations, we requested cabins close to each other. Has anyone ever requested cabins near each other and how did Disney cater to that request?  When I called they said they can't reserve two cabins next to each other. 

When I visited the fort two years ago, we bought some groceries on site . It was pretty expensive.  Has anyone had any luck with ordering groceries and having them delivered with an outside vendor? 

For this visit, we have the basic food plan. What are the best places to eat at the fort with this plan? 

Thanks in advance for helping!

You can call Disney reservations and have them set up a "Travel With" number and request that you be placed as close together as possible. All locations are just request. They never guarantee anything, but will do their best depending on how full the Fort is.

There are many grocery delivery services that provide good service to the cabins and resorts at Disney.

Wegoshop.com

gardengrocer.com

(Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head).

We use garden grocer when we stay there, and have had great service from them each time. It does cost a bit more, but unless you have a car and can run to Publix or Winn-Dixie it's a cheaper option than the on-site grocery. They also have an app and will let you modify your order up to (I think) 48 hours before your scheduled delivery date.

Honestly, the fort has very limited on-site dining options - basically Trail's end/crockett's tavern/P&J's takeout and the pool snack bar. Some people here swear by Trail's End, but we aren't buffet people and they have just discontinued the sit-down lunch. There are some good take-out options, but we have had better luck going over to the counter service restaurant at Wilderness Lodge, or taking the launch to the contemporary and eating at one of the many restaurants available at the monorail resorts.

Also, if you are planning on cooking in your cabin be aware there is no longer a full-size oven in the cabins.

Regarding groceries, the Fort published this list of items that can be ordered from the Trading Post and delivered to your cabin.  It hasn't been updated since 2015, so I'm not sure if they are still doing this:

fw%20grocery%20list_zps42840hsl.jpg

https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/media/wdpro-assets/places-to-stay/cabins-at-fort-wilderness/cabins-at-fort-wilderness-resort-grocery-list-FW-1-12-15.pdf

I have seen reports from guests of the DVC resorts talking about a service offered by Amazon in the Orlando area-Amazon Prime Now.  It sounds like a pretty good deal.

TCD

Another grocery delivery option would be Shipt.  It is an app you order food from Publix with.  Someone does your shopping and delivers the food to you.  I believe there is a discount on your first order.  I have not tried them, but they are very popular at the Publix i work at in SC.