Interesting Rumor Article About Possible Epcot Redo

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Actually, the whole ending portion of the ride was changed a few years ago to incorporate a photo of each person in the ride vehicle into an interactive animation of the future.  That whole feature stopped working a few months ago, and apparently isn't going to be fixed.  That's a problem.

TCD

It worked for us over New Years. No problems, BUT I don't like the 2nd half of Spaceship Earth. The version previous to that was superior. (Jeremy Irons narration). I never got to see the Walter Cronkite narration.

1 hour ago, shoreline99 said:

I believe SSE is still 'sponsored', so I'm not sure it that played into this blogger's thoughts. No disrespect, but it's past time to get rid of the graveyard in front of it, though.

I have a picture on one of those gravestones, but I thought the contract was for only 10 years. (Our 10th wedding anniversary was during the Millennium Celebration, so it was a neat gift to ourselves). I'll have to dig up my paperwork. Even if it is 20 years, I don't see why they can't just relocate the metal plates somewhere else and just demolish the stones instead of relocating them. That would solve a lot of the cost he alludes to. There are plenty of walls in public parts of WDW where the plates could be displayed at little cost.

8 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

It worked for us over New Years. No problems, BUT I don't like the 2nd half of Spaceship Earth. The version previous to that was superior. (Jeremy Irons narration). I never got to see the Walter Cronkite narration.

As I think about it, there have been other kind of recent changes to the ride too.

The whole garage scene with one of the Steves (Jobs? or Wozniak?) working on the computer is new, as is the scene immediately preceding it with the giant computer and the young lady in the miniskirt.

TCD

5 minutes ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I have a picture on one of those gravestones, but I thought the contract was for only 10 years. (Our 10th wedding anniversary was during the Millennium Celebration, so it was a neat gift to ourselves). I'll have to dig up my paperwork. Even if it is 20 years, I don't see why they can't just relocate the metal plates somewhere else and just demolish the stones instead of relocating them. That would solve a lot of the cost he alludes to. There are plenty of walls in public parts of WDW where the plates could be displayed at little cost.

The TCD gang is all on the tombstones too.

I agree- it's fine with me if they move them.  I was surprised to see the 20 year reference, but I've seen that on other sites too.  I also thought it was 10.

TCD

9 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

As I think about it, there have been other kind of recent changes to the ride too.

The whole garage scene with one of the Steves (Jobs? or Wozniak?) working on the computer is new, as is the scene immediately preceding it with the giant computer and the young lady in the miniskirt.

One of the best costumes I saw at MNSSHP a few years ago was someone dressed up as that woman in the miniskirt. I regret not getting a picture.

WOW. TCD is right the blog is all over the place and says very little. For the most part though it is just a lot of things are going to pot and Disney is going to spend money to fix it. I do agree with her opinion that it would be logical to retheme Mission Space to Guardians of the Galaxy but logic and Disney frequently don't ride in the same car. I have mixed feelings about the World Showcase rumor of more rides. I've always liked that Epcot was kind of the adult park. The World Showcase in particular. I'm not trying to insult folks with younger kids, mine were young once too, but it is kind of nice to not have so many little ones and their strollers all over the place and have things that are more oriented towards grown ups. My fear is adding rides back there will just increase the crowds and over time Disney will remove the more cerebral attractions that aren't considered thrilling enough. 

59 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

The first half of the redo was great all the way up to the top. They refreshed all the animatronics, added some new relevant scenes, then..... blech this silly computer game for the way down. Sorry, I've never liked it.

1 hour ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

The first half of the redo was great all the way up to the top. They refreshed all the animatronics, added some new relevant scenes, then..... blech this silly computer game for the way down. Sorry, I've never liked it.

Honestly, I don't like it much either, but what was there for the descent needed to be changed, as it was very out of date.  We have fun with the photos.

TCD

4 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I haven't been yet, but I hear they're using the whole Odyssey venue as the headquarters for the new Art Festival event they're currently running at Epcot:  http://blogmickey.com/2017/01/photos-epcot-festival-arts-festival-showplace-odyssey-pavilion/

TCD

Ah - very cool! Glad to see it's being used for something.  It's definitely prime real estate.

4 hours ago, shoreline99 said:

Use the odyssey as a festival home base (yes, mo they served craft beer there) and turn the old WOL paviliion into something else.

I like that idea.

3 hours ago, shoreline99 said:

...it's past time to get rid of the graveyard in front of it, though.

Agreed.

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That whole feature stopped working a few months ago, and apparently isn't going to be fixed.  That's a problem.

It wasn't working in October.  :(

We love the silly photos. Glad to hear they've been at least intermittently working.

20 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Honestly, I don't like it much either, but what was there for the descent needed to be changed, as it was very out of date.  We have fun with the photos.

TCD

I agree the descent needed to be changed, but they could have done so much more....