Thought this might be a good topic/warning system for terrible roads you have encountered.

I'm thinking more major roads/Interstates, not local streets.

Having traveled on I-95 twice this month thru lower SC, I was shocked how terrible/unsafe and poorly maintained it is.

I-4 in FL is unsafe due to the amount of traffic and asinine drivers, but I-95 in SC is just flat out crazy.

From the pot holes, poorly applied patches, to the downed trees lying all along the shoulders, lack of room on shoulders to pull off, or the 10 to 15 foot drop into wooded swampy areas with no barricades, to the dips and bumps that make you rock like a fun house car, their section of I-95 is the pits.

We also encountered a driver weaving from shoulder to shoulder and even driving on the shoulder for miles.  We called it into 911 but no police ever arrived.

I'm just glad we don't venture N too often.

Let me tell you how bad it really is...we have better roads in PA! The potholes on 95 in SC are everywhere! It beats the heck out of my camper, and my truck. Ive been slowing way down coming through there.  

Don't get me started about there being only 2 lanes of 95 either. I once sat in an hour backup heading northbound because of the 3 to 2 lane merge from GA to SC. Really poor maintenance.  

I-95 through SC has always been a mess. I try to drive in the left lane as it is smoother but rarely is the traffic light enough to be able to do much of that. It has gotten worse due to the hurricane flooding damage not being repaired well. But SC sure is proud of their low taxes.

I told my family about this thread.  My son responded that there is a new kid in one of his classes who moved here from Louisiana.  My son asked him, "What is one thing you see in SC that you never saw in Louisiana?"

The response he got was, "People driving straight on the roads.  In Louisiana, our pot holes are so bad, you can't tell if someone is drunk or just driving around the potholes!"

3 minutes ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

I told my family about this thread.  My son responded that there is a new kid in one of his classes who moved here from Louisiana.  My son asked him, "What is one thing you see in SC that you never saw in Louisiana?"

The response he got was, "People driving straight on the roads.  In Louisiana, our pot holes are so bad, you can't tell if someone is drunk or just driving around the potholes!"

Up until about 2 or 3 years ago I traveled to Louisiana for business every few months and your sons friend is correct. The roads are horrible.  Lol. 

I-75 North from the Ohio River for about 20 miles.  They are currently ripping the road out completely and replacing the road bed and road surface.  Until thats done its old rough road with large potholes and quick lane changes.  Its gotten so bad they have reduced the speed limit to 45 through the whole stretch.

On 1/21/2017 at 7:08 PM, bdm said:

I-75 North from the Ohio River for about 20 miles.  They are currently ripping the road out completely and replacing the road bed and road surface.  Until thats done its old rough road with large potholes and quick lane changes.  Its gotten so bad they have reduced the speed limit to 45 through the whole stretch.

And everybody's driving at that speed.........:lol:

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 8:38 AM, keith_h said:

I-95 through SC has always been a mess. I try to drive in the left lane as it is smoother but rarely is the traffic light enough to be able to do much of that. It has gotten worse due to the hurricane flooding damage not being repaired well. But SC sure is proud of their low taxes.

AMEN to that Keith!  Although in a car, I have to say that the ride is not that bad, but not that good either.  However pulling a trailer or riding in a motorhome, that road (the southbound side) will shake your teeth out... 

I hate I-95 in SC.  Does anyone have $4 billion they can spare?

--------------------------------------------------------

"It would cost up to $4 billion to widen Interstate 95 to six lanes in South Carolina, transportation officials said Monday.

That initial estimate includes widening about 190 miles of the interstate to three lanes in each direction from the state’s border with Georgia to the border with North Carolina, replacing bridges along the interstate and improving interchanges.

But it could be years before the state has enough money to pay for the widening project. The project also would have to rank high enough on Transportation Department priority lists to be fixed."

http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article128186934.html

16 hours ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

I saw this on a local Facebook group tonight:

b7e34c972cfb8c8fd85907152f56b13b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marty that is funny!  I hope you don't take offense in us picking on the SC roads...

2 hours ago, Seals said:

I hate I-95 in SC.  Does anyone have $4 billion they can spare?

--------------------------------------------------------

"It would cost up to $4 billion to widen Interstate 95 to six lanes in South Carolina, transportation officials said Monday.

That initial estimate includes widening about 190 miles of the interstate to three lanes in each direction from the state’s border with Georgia to the border with North Carolina, replacing bridges along the interstate and improving interchanges.

But it could be years before the state has enough money to pay for the widening project. The project also would have to rank high enough on Transportation Department priority lists to be fixed."

http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/article128186934.html

I'd be happy if they 

1: Fix the pot holes and the whoop dee do's

2: Clear the fallen trees that are right up to the shoulders, and trimmed the remaining ones back further

3: Put barricades along the shoulders to prevent you from getting impaled on trees while falling 20 feet down to a watery grave

4: Widen the shoulders in case of a breakdown. A smart car would have trouble getting all the way off the travel lanes.

• 2 months later...

Just as an update here.  I-95 in SC has gotten some much needed work and I was able to get stuck in the traffic for over an hour at Midnight on the 7th, to move 4 miles.  They have replaced many concrete patches and have used concrete milling trailers to flatten the road surface for many miles on the interstate.  It has made a remarkable difference, and had been done on both directions of 95.  

I also theorized that South Carolina road surfaces were the culprits of the last 2 trailer tires problems I've had.  Both times were headed south in GA not too far from the border, and I figure I broke a belt in SC and won the prize somewhere down the road.

Anyone else notice the improvement?