Park Visit Report

Since we didn't camp, I guess it's not a trip report.

Ran over to WDW this weekend.  Daughter flew in from MN to get her at least monthly visit in.

Started out at MK.  Got there around 10.  Traffic was a little backed up at the toll plaza.  Showed my new MB 2.0 and got waved thru without a scan.

Started to the parking lot, they were directing us towards Heros, when 3 cars in front of us they started sending us to Villians.  Do they switch lots at certain times since it was 9:59 when we got diverted.  Scored a spot in Zurg, so it was a fairly quick walk to TTC.  

We were heading towards the Express Monorail when the CM said the ferry would be quicker.  As we passed the ramp to the resort Monorail it was pulling in so we hopped on that.

Got to MK pretty quick.  Getting in was another story.  Took forever to clear the bag check then the scanner, then the Passholder check in.

Side note, my daughters came in later via ferry, and they had a seperate bag check for them.

We caught the Move It Parade, got a new set of Sorcerer cards,and headed towards Liberty Square.  Did some cards, and caught the Muppet show with JJ! More cards, then the relatives caught up to us.

Did Country Bears, Tiki Room, Small World, Mine Train, Dumbo, Peter Pan, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion.  One daughter had been given a stack of fast passes good for 5 people each so we hit some good rides.

Finished up the night with donut sundaes while watching the castle show. 

Wife and I took the granddaughters, caught the express monorail as it was pulling up, and headed to our hotel Townplace Suites at Flamingo Crossing.  Daughters stopped at Publix to get us some supper, chicken and salad.

After a great hotel breakfast it was EPCOT time on Sunday.

Got good parking, crowds weren't too bad.

Did Figment, Club Cool, and Living Statues before heading over to World Showcase.

So, for the Easter Egg and Rattetooie search lovers, they now have a Figment in Art search.  Since you're looking for paintings, you need to go inside the various shops at the pavilions. 

Spoiler Alert, a lot are in and around the Kidcot areas, but not all.

While in France we had ice cream. 

Surprised how un crowded EPCOT was.  It didn't get too bad until late afternoon, and then it was still a lot less then the other festivals.

The art festival has a lot more things to do, pose for pictures, look in shops then the other festivals.  We really enjoyed it.

When you finish the Figment search your prize is a choice of a lucite enclosed Figment artwork.

We did get a Panda Rice Ball from the Chinese fast food shop.

We headed out about 2:30, since we wanted to be back in Tampa before the storm hit at 5.

As I'm typing this at 8 it just started raining!

We had strong headwinds heading back to Tampa.  Usually at 65 I get about 19 MPG, readout was flucuateing between 16 and 17 all the way back.

I would recommend hitting up the Art festival.

Family did, I took pictures.

They had some large paintings that you could step into and have your picture taken.  There was a good native American band/dance group performing in Canada.

They were from the NW Alaska and BC.  They were here to install 2 new replacement totem poles. They said that they had made the original ones.

There was a good 4 man Oompa Band in the outside German kiosk.

Some of the food sounded good, but all we bought was the Panda rice cake.

8 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

How was JJ and the Muppets?  

do they have scheduled show times?

Yes, it's on the time schedule you pick up on the way in.

There are 2 different shows.  JJ is in the one with Sam Eagle when he is above the Hall of Presidents.

Best thing in the park after Country Bears!

Mark- It looks like the performers you saw in Canada were only there for the dedication of the new totem poles, so that was lucky timing on your part!:

All in the Details: Storytelling Totem Poles at Epcot’s Canada Pavilion

Jennifer Fickley-Baker

by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Editorial Content Manager, Walt Disney World Resort

Yesterday, two new totem poles were installed at the Canada Pavilion at Epcot, bringing a new dose of history, culture and storytelling to the pavilion.

Carved by Tsimshian artisan David Boxley, who previously created a totem pole for the pavilion’s Trading Post in the 1990s, the two new additions each have a unique story to tell.

The Eagle Totem Pole tells one of Boxley’s favorite cultural tales, in which a boy finds an eagle caught in a net on a beach and frees it. Years later, when hunger strikes the boy’s tribe, he walks on the same beach, only to find the eagle there waiting for him with food – paying him back for his kindness years ago. The bottom of this totem pole also tells the story of how a family of beaver taught a human family the importance of treating all creatures – human and animal – with respect.

The Whale Totem Pole depicts the tale of the first potlatch, a ceremonial feast celebrated by the Nagunaks and creatures of the undersea world.

The overnight installation was followed up with a dedication ceremony for the new poles that included a performance by the Git Hoan Dancers (People of the Salmon). Based in Washington state, Git-Hoan members can trace their ancestral roots to some of the main tribes of Southeast Alaska, the Tsimshian, the Haida and Tlingit.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/01/all-in-the-details-storytelling-totem-poles-at-epcots-canada-pavilion/

TCD