Every WWW, I end up getting home in the wee hours of the morning.  I am hoping to leave earlier this year, but even that can go wrong if there is an accident or bad weather.  My children have made me promise that this year, if it gets late, I will stop for the night and finish the drive in the morning.  I have looked at Trip Advisor for some hotel or motel reviews long I-95 between the FL/GA border and I-26/I-95 interchange in SC.  But I would love to hear of any experiences, good or bad, that Fiends have had.

We just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express at exit 53 in Walterboro SC on I-95. It's right off the interstate.  I see that the I-26 exchange is exit 86. This was about a 6+ hour drive from Tampa and about the same to the Orlando area depending on Jacksonville traffic..   Very clean room, friendly staff.

My wife is the Queen of searching Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity and knows what the stars and review ratings mean.  This one met her expectations so that's why we booked it.  

We paid more because we got a 2 bed suite because my daughter and granddaughter spent the night with us.

They have free Wi-Fi and breakfast.  Our room had a mini fridge and microwave.

There were only about 20 cars in the parking lot the morning we left.  Plenty of room for a camper if you are towing one.

It was so odd going to breakfast.  It was a small area, but hardly anyone there.  Not like the madhouses we are used to staying in the Orlando area.

They didn't have waffles, but they did have an automated pancake machine.  Press a button and about 2 minutes later two pancakes drop out of the end onto your plate.

21 minutes ago, Travisma said:

They didn't have waffles, but they did have an automated pancake machine.  Press a button and about 2 minutes later two pancakes drop out of the end onto your plate.

Were they doing a Pancakes at Midnight promotion at that hotel?

We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Arizona during our epic drive to California, and arrived right in time for the pancakes at midnight. Big hit with us!

CK75_yBWIAA1cDM.jpg

TCD

My general advice if you are by yourself is to stay at a motel with interior corridors and one that is easily accessible from the exit, especially if you are arriving late at night.  We've stayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites in Walterboro, SC many times since we used to have family near there. Before discovering it we tried a number of other places there and I'd only recommend the Holiday Inn Express and Suites, although we've usually found it pricier than the Comfort Inn and Suites, and the Sleep Inn at exit 57.  Late at night, I'd recommend exit 53, though.   Also, do not stay in the Motel 6 right off the interstate in Brunswick, GA that looks like a southern plantation house in the front.  

39 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Were they doing a Pancakes at Midnight promotion at that hotel?

We stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Arizona during our epic drive to California, and arrived right in time for the pancakes at midnight. Big hit with us!

CK75_yBWIAA1cDM.jpg

TCD

Not on a Tuesday night... When we arrived there were 3 cars in the parking lot, when we got back in the early evening, maybe 5 and the next morning maybe 20 and thats stretching it.

15 minutes ago, Seals said:

My general advice if you are by yourself is to stay at a motel with interior corridors and one that is easily accessible from the exit, especially if you are arriving late at night.  We've stayed at the Comfort Inn and Suites in Walterboro, SC many times since we used to have family near there. Before discovering it we tried a number of other places there and I'd only recommend the Holiday Inn Express and Suites, although we've usually found it pricier than the Comfort Inn and Suites, and the Sleep Inn at exit 57.  Late at night, I'd recommend exit 53, though.   Also, do not stay in the Motel 6 right off the interstate in Brunswick, GA that looks like a southern plantation house in the front.  

There are quite a few hotels at this exit.  Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn are on the W side of the interstate.  The E side has quite a few more.  My wife said a couple of them on that side had sketchy reviews.  Exit 57 has a couple of places and a super Walmart with a gas station.

From my own personal experience with walterboro that I probably can't talk about here as it would not be "politically correct" but a LEO was witness to & was able to intervene and call for backup before it escalated to severe injury on my part or the 7 animals who accosted me, I was would avoid that area in the dark. Particularly the McDonald's off the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk