Vacation ideas for kids

We are looking at taking our motor home out for a vacation this year.  We live in Iowa and would like to keep it to a max of 2 days travel each way with a week at the destination.  We are not set up to tow a vehicle so we have been looking for ideas of places we can visit from a campground on foot, bikes or on site transportation.  We have 4 kids ages 2, 4, 7 and 9 when we will be traveling.

Here are a couple ideas we have:

Washington DC - we have found a campground that has transportation on the city bus system so it would be easy to go visit places from the campground.

Six Flags St. Louis - there is a yogi bear campground 1/4 to 1/2 mile for the gate to the park.  We would be able to get a season pass really cheap and visit daily if we wanted.

We are not set on either of these so please share ideas and experiences!

Cedar Point in Ohio, campground right there ( not cheap) nice theme park with lots of coasters, water park, pool in campground plus beach at the lake, not a cheap trip but loads of fun.

You are probably much more chilled and skilled than I am, but personally I wouldn't take 4 kids including a 2 and 4 year old to Washington DC. Especially using public transportation.  What about Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg/Great Smoky Mountain National Park? There are lots of threads about that location on this site and recommendations of campgrounds. 

How about a trip to the Outer Banks, or any of the beaches up and down the NC/SC coast... With your kids being so young, and you guys being from Iowa that would be a change of scenery... 

My vote would absolutely be Yosemite Valley, but I'm not sure it that's more than a two day drive for you. We went last summer and I thought it was one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. So much natural beauty to explore.

How about Yellowstone? That would be closer to you.

We really enjoyed Washington DC but I agree with the others that your two youngest ones might be too young. I think kids have to be at least 7 to get much out of that trip.