I think some of it is the naming of the sandwich. Calling a regular old bacon cheeseburger a smoked pork belly cheeseburger sets up a certain expectation of a high end burger. Based on the picture it doesn't fit that description to me. If they had a larger hand thrown patty like you see in the grill/brew pubs around here I think it would have fit the label and tasted better.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spotted these pics shared to a Facebook group. Anyone seen it in person yet?

I was there this weekend and saw them. The food items are great (tried them all) but if you cannot eat spicy food, have them take off the horseradish sauce. It only started this weekend, but the

A cart isn't going to cut it for me. I'll need a big tow truck with a snow plow blade on the front.  The snow plow blade is for tents put up where they don't belong.  I'll push them back to the a

I never noticed the horseradish cream on the brisket before. I wouldn't care for that but a light slather of the chipotle BBQ sauce sounds good.

Whoever developed that item for the menu has to have a connection to Buffalo, NY. I guarantee it. Buffalo's signature sandwich is the Beef on Weck....roast beef and horseradish on a kimmelweck roll. I bet most people that order that sandwich at the Fort have no idea what a kimmelweck roll even is.

Sent from my handheld doohickie

47 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Whoever developed that item for the menu has to have a connection to Buffalo, NY. I guarantee it. Buffalo's signature sandwich is the Beef on Weck....roast beef and horseradish on a kimmelweck roll. I bet most people that order that sandwich at the Fort have no idea what a kimmelweck roll even is.

I wouldn't mind the horseradish with a roasted or corned piece of beef. To me it is pairing with a smoked meat that loses the appeal. Smoking when done well is a taste that can be easily covered up if the condiments are too strong in flavor.

1 hour ago, keith_h said:

I wouldn't mind the horseradish with a roasted or corned piece of beef. To me it is pairing with a smoked meat that loses the appeal. Smoking when done well is a taste that can be easily covered up if the condiments are too strong in flavor.

I hear you.  The sandwich in Buffalo is made from thinly sliced, rare roasted beef.  Paired with the horseradish, some au jus, and the roll with crusted salt and caraway seeds is delicious.  

rfl_8673-960x600_c.jpg

14 hours ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

Thanks!  That's another review I hadn't seen.

No surprise that the DFB reviewer LOVED everything!!!

The comment to that blog post gave me a good chuckle!

dfb%20comments_zpsppr09khp.jpg

That comment from the lady who's appalled that they no longer serve Walt's chili has me scratching my head.

I was a very frequent customer of the Chuckwagon for the past 20+ years, and I know for a fact that they didn't serve any chili there.

What the Fort is that lady talking about?

The DFB has some real kooky readers. Dr. Leonid K. Soup sounds terrifying, and he needs to calm the Fort down.

14 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

I am always interested in regional foods, and I've heard of Beef on Weck, but never had it.

I need to try one of these from the food truck before they change the menu.

I'm sure it won't be as good as the real thing, but I still want to give it a try.

TCD

Beef on wreck was a favorite of mine while haunting the halls of academe at the University of Buffalo.  Despite my high blood pressure and sodium sensitivity, I believe it would be worth the risk of having my head explode to try Disney's version.  And horseradish is a must.  Go big or go home, losers.

15 hours ago, ftwildernessguy said:

Beef on wreck was a favorite of mine while haunting the halls of academe at the University of Buffalo.  Despite my high blood pressure and sodium sensitivity, I believe it would be worth the risk of having my head explode to try Disney's version.  And horseradish is a must.  Go big or go home, losers.

I'd love to hear what a real Buffalonian has to say about that sandwich. So, if you survive trying it, I hope you come back and let us know how you liked it.  I'm afraid it will be on the level of what they call a Philly Cheesesteak at most places in Florida.

I love horseradish on beef.  I will definitely go big when I get the chance to try the Beef on Weck.

TCD

29 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I'd love to hear what a real Buffalonian has to say about that sandwich. So, if you survive trying it, I hope you come back and let us know how you liked it.  I'm afraid it will be on the level of what they call a Philly Cheesesteak at most places in Florida.

I love horseradish on beef.  I will definitely go big when I get the chance to try the Beef on Weck.

TCD

I know it's a chain, and not a real sub sandwich, but have you tried the WaWa's roast beef sub with their horseradish sauce?  As a bonus, get it with pepperjack cheese, jalepenos, and roasted red peppers.

I love hot/spicy foods, and that sauce is a sinus cleanser!

I would like to try the Food truck roll, and see how it compares to a NY hard roll.  Tha'ts something you cant find in FL either.

They ones in FL look similar, but the outer crust is just a soft chewy mess.

6 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I know it's a chain, and not a real sub sandwich, but have you tried the WaWa's roast beef sub with their horseradish sauce?  As a bonus, get it with pepperjack cheese, jalepenos, and roasted red peppers.

I love hot/spicy foods, and that sauce is a sinus cleanser!

I would like to try the Food truck roll, and see how it compares to a NY hard roll.  Tha'ts something you cant find in FL either.

They ones in FL look similar, but the outer crust is just a soft chewy mess.

Thanks for the WaWa tip.  There's a WaWa along I-4 at exit 19 that is conveniently exactly halfway between me and WDW.  I stop there a lot for a sandwich on the way to WDW.

The bread makes some of these sandwiches.  I'm sure it's important to the Beef on Weck.  It's also important to a Philly Cheesesteak.  There's a place in my town that imports their rolls from Philadelphia.  They're really good.

TCD

4 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thanks for the WaWa tip.  There's a WaWa along I-4 at exit 19 that is conveniently exactly halfway between me and WDW.  I stop there a lot for a sandwich on the way to WDW.

The bread makes some of these sandwiches.  I'm sure it's important to the Beef on Weck.  It's also important to a Philly Cheesesteak.  There's a place in my town that imports their rolls from Philadelphia.  They're really good.

TCD

Thats the exit for the old Buddy Freddys and Starbucks!

You can not beat the Wawa's, we have had them up here for years and I remember when they only did home delivery of dairy products, in fact my dad was a driver back in the day for them. TCD you are so right that the right roll makes the sandwich, bring the rolls in is a sign they want to make a great sandwich.

41 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

TCD

But therein lies the problem with kimmelwick rolls.  They cannot be shipped.  And they cannot be stored.  The crusted salt, when sealed inside a plastic bag, causes the roll to get grossly soggy.  And if you leave them in a paper sack they will be hard as a rock the next day.  I know from experience, as we prepared beef on wecks for Christmas Eve for many years when our girls were little.  And I made many early morning runs to my favorite bakery in West Seneca, NY on Christmas Eve to buy kimmelwick rolls fresh from the oven for that evening's festivities.  So I'm interested to know where they are getting those rolls at the food truck.  Perhaps someone has developed a way to ship the frozen dough that will bake up nicely.  Or, perhaps the roll sucks.  

19 minutes ago, dblr....Rennie said:

You can not beat the Wawa's, we have had them up here for years and I remember when they only did home delivery of dairy products, in fact my dad was a driver back in the day for them. TCD you are so right that the right roll makes the sandwich, bring the rolls in is a sign they want to make a great sandwich.

If you ever find yourself in Dunedin, FL, check out a place called Delco's Steaks and Hoagies.  They also have a large Tastykake inventory, which used to be a big deal, but now they sell those in Publix.  They also import those God-awful Philly pretzels that street vendors sell in Philadelphia.  I forgot how nasty those were.  But their cheesesteaks are the best!

6 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

But therein lies the problem with kimmelwick rolls.  They cannot be shipped.  And they cannot be stored.  The crusted salt, when sealed inside a plastic bag, causes the roll to get grossly soggy.  And if you leave them in a paper sack they will be hard as a rock the next day.  So I'm interested to know where they are getting those rolls at the food truck.  Perhaps someone has developed a way to ship the frozen dough that will bake up nicely.  Or, perhaps the roll sucks.  

I have serious doubts that the Disney kimmelwick roll will be even close to what it should be.  You know these are probably made in bulk somewhere in a Disney bakery, and I highly doubt that they're made fresh daily.  I'm still willing to give it a try, though.

TCD

I have serious doubts that the Disney kimmelwick roll will be even close to what it should be.  You know these are probably made in bulk somewhere in a Disney bakery, and I highly doubt that they're made fresh daily.  I'm still willing to give it a try, though.

TCD

The way you're explaining it, I can tell you it isn't that hard crust you're looking for.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Dave, if we ant to try to keep rolls more then a day we have found to put them in a paper bag then put that bag in a plastic bag it seems to help some, not sure with salt on them how it would be. They say in Philly it's the water that makes the rolls so good but I can not prove that.

55 minutes ago, dblr....Rennie said:

Dave, if we ant to try to keep rolls more then a day we have found to put them in a paper bag then put that bag in a plastic bag it seems to help some, not sure with salt on them how it would be. They say in Philly it's the water that makes the rolls so good but I can not prove that.

I like salted or everything bagels, and the same thing happens to them, either the salt "melts" or the bagel can be used as a weapon of mass destruction.

Trying to say a FL roll is just like ones from "up North" is just like saying a Lenders Bagel is the same as getting a warm one from the bagel shop!  They just don't compare.

29 minutes ago, Travisma said:

I like salted or everything bagels, and the same thing happens to them, either the salt "melts" or the bagel can be used as a weapon of mass destruction.

Trying to say a FL roll is just like ones from "up North" is just like saying a Lenders Bagel is the same as getting a warm one from the bagel shop!  They just don't compare.

Totally understand even when some drivers ran trips to NY City the bagels brought back were always in brown paper bags, seemed to stay fresher that way.

1 hour ago, dblr....Rennie said:

If (and that's a big if) we have pretzels leftover from a party the brown bag/plastic bag is how we store them too.

and I don't event want to think about what's in the water in philly!

Yeah that's what I do too for most rolls but those darn kimmelwecks are evil. Lol