New Camper...1st Time at the Fort

We are in the process of purchasing our first camper and have reservations at the Fort arriving October 29th at a Preferred site.  Any input or suggestions are welcome about camping at Fort Wilderness.  Which loop would be best?  What all happens at Halloween at the Fort (I keep hearing about how great it is that time of year)?  Also, do you recommend a golf cart to get around to the bus stops?  Or would driving to the parks be faster for our larger family of 6?  Thanks for all help 

Welcome!!!

Since you booked a preferred loop, your choices are 100, 200, or 300. Those loops are extremely close to the marina, and walking to the marina to get to the Magic Kingdom is quite easy.

Driving to the parks is a personal choice. We don't, but if you don't get a golf cart, then that means two buses to get to Epcot, AK, Studios, and Disney Springs.

Halloween is super fun. Your kids will LOVE the trick or treating on the 31st.

15 hours ago, DisneyVampire said:

Preferred loops also include others as well. How big is your camper, slides extra?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I respectfully disagree.

There are four loop categories...

Partial - 1500 and 2000 - Water, Electric, Cable, Short Concrete Driveways, Large Sand Areas

Full - 1600, 1700, 1800, 1900, 2100, Water, Electric, Cable, Sewer, Concrete Driveways of various sizes, and various sizes of sand area

Preferred - 100, 200, 300 - Water, Electric, Cable, Sewer, Concrete Driveways of various sizes, and various sizes of sand area. Called preferred due to location.

Premium - 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400 - Water, Electric, Cable, Sewer, Wider and Longer concrete driveways, no sand area. Upgraded grill and picnic table

Congratulations and Welcome!

If it's in the budget I would definitely get a golf cart even for just a day to explore the Fort and check out all of the Halloween decorations at other camp sites. We always take the boat to the MK, the other parks sometimes we will take Disney transportation and sometimes we drive. 

First of all welcome.  

You would need a golf cart that seats 6 people.  You are not suppose to have 6 people on a 4 seat golf cart.   A golf cart is really nice but if it's not in the budget I would bring bicycles to enjoy the fort.  It's a nice ride to the Meadow recreation area  that's were the big pool, chip and dales campfire, meadow trading post are located.

As carol said you will will be in either 100, 200, or 300 loop. Which are great loops as they close to, and only a few minutes walk to the marina, pioneer hall, and the settlement trading post.   You will catch the boat at the marina to take you to the Magic Kingdom. And if you are not in a hurry you can then take the monorail from the MK (magic kingdom) to Epcot.  It's a great way to get to Epcot but probably the slowest way to get there.  

To catch a bus to epcot, animal kingdom, Hollywood studios or Disney springs you need to take an internal bus to the front of the fort,  and the outpost Depot. And then catch the bus to the park of your choice.  

I personally like to get an occasional adult beverage while visiting the parks and I don't drive after I've had an adult beverage so we always use Disney transportation or uber to get around wdw. 

Enjoy your our new RV and the Fort. 

15 hours ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

I respectfully disagree.

There are four loop categories...

Partial - 1500 and 2000 - Water, Electric, Cable, Short Concrete Driveways, Large Sand Areas

Full - 1600, 1700, 1800, 1900, 2100, Water, Electric, Cable, Sewer, Concrete Driveways of various sizes, and various sizes of sand area

Preferred - 100, 200, 300 - Water, Electric, Cable, Sewer, Concrete Driveways of various sizes, and various sizes of sand area. Called preferred due to location.

Premium - 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1100, 1200, 1300, 1400, 1500 - Water, Electric, Cable, Sewer, Wider and Longer concrete driveways, no sand area. Upgraded grill and picnic table

Excellent post, Carol.

You even added the 2100 loop to the list of full hook-up sites.

But you have one typo there on the listing of the premium sites (I bolded it).

TCD

Welcome!

As discussed, you'll either be in the 100, 200 or 300 loop.  All are close to the marina.  If you have pets, you'll be in the 300 loop as (technically) both 100 and 200 are non-pet loops.  The 300 loop is nice as it's in between the marina and the larger pool at The Fort.

I agree with renting a golf cart for a day, if it's in the budget, to drive around the loops.  There will be  A LOT of decorations at the sites as halloween has become a big deal at Fort Wilderness.  Bikes are another great option.  We bring ours every trip.  Trick-or-Treating can be chaotic, but it's fun.  Your kiddos will love that.  There will also be a golf cart parade.  Plan to stake out a place (bring camping chairs) about 30 minutes before the parade.  The parade route will be marked.  As for the parks, we prefer driving to them as we just find it easier.  The only exception is the Magic Kingdom; there you'll want to take the boat (from the marina at Fort Wilderness).

If you haven't eaten there already...breakfast at Trails End is a must.  

Enjoy your trip!  The Fort will be full that week... including (with I'm sure) some Fiends ^_^

One comment about the renting a golf cart for the day idea- Halloween is one of the holidays where Fort Wilderness typically runs out of golf carts to rent, and it's not possible to get a reservation.

Golf Carts can be reserved in advance by calling the Bike Barn.  If you want one on Halloween, you had better make that call and reserve one.  They may already be sold out.

TCD

First of all welcome.  

You would need a golf cart that seats 6 people.  You are not suppose to have 6 people on a 4 seat golf cart.   A golf cart is really nice but if it's not in the budget I would bring bicycles to enjoy the fort.  It's a nice ride to the Meadow recreation area  that's were the big pool, chip and dales campfire, meadow trading post are located.

As carol said you will will be in either 100, 200, or 300 loop. Which are great loops as they close to, and only a few minutes walk to the marina, pioneer hall, and the settlement trading post.   You will catch the boat at the marina to take you to the Magic Kingdom. And if you are not in a hurry you can then take the monorail from the MK (magic kingdom) to Epcot.  It's a great way to get to Epcot but probably the slowest way to get there.  

To catch a bus to epcot, animal kingdom, Hollywood studios or Disney springs you need to take an internal bus to the front of the fort,  and the outpost Depot. And then catch the bus to the park of your choice.  

I personally like to get an occasional adult beverage while visiting the parks and I don't drive after I've had an adult beverage so we always use Disney transportation or uber to get around wdw. 

Enjoy your our new RV and the Fort. 

Wouldn't the ages of the children figure into needing a 4 person or 6 person cart?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Welcome!

As discussed, you'll either be in the 100, 200 or 300 loop.  All are close to the marina.  If you have pets, you'll be in the 300 loop as (technically) both 100 and 200 are non-pet loops.  The 300 loop is nice as it's in between the marina and the larger pool at The Fort.

I agree with renting a golf cart for a day, if it's in the budget, to drive around the loops.  There will be  A LOT of decorations at the sites as halloween has become a big deal at Fort Wilderness.  Bikes are another great option.  We bring ours every trip.  Trick-or-Treating can be chaotic, but it's fun.  Your kiddos will love that.  There will also be a golf cart parade.  Plan to stake out a place (bring camping chairs) about 30 minutes before the parade.  The parade route will be marked.  As for the parks, we prefer driving to them as we just find it easier.  The only exception is the Magic Kingdom; there you'll want to take the boat (from the marina at Fort Wilderness).

If you haven't eaten there already...breakfast at Trails End is a must.  

Enjoy your trip!  The Fort will be full that week... including (with I'm sure) some Fiends ^_^

Will be some fiends there for sure, made my reservation last Halloween.

8 hours ago, momof3kids-Yvonne said:

Wouldn't the ages of the children figure into needing a 4 person or 6 person cart?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't know for sure. But iirc it's suppose to be one seat one person.   We were told that my DD, who was 7 or 8 at the time, is not suppose to ride between us up front.  

Perhaps someone with more knowledge on the subject can jump in. 

41 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I don't know for sure. But iirc it's suppose to be one seat one person.   We were told that my DD, who was 7 or 8 at the time, is not suppose to ride between us up front.  

Perhaps someone with more knowledge on the subject can jump in. 

We've had as many as 7 on our 4-person cart and no one has said anything to us.  But 4 of those passengers were children, and we had our own private cart. Maybe that makes a difference.

For those wondering, it's OK to have more than four passengers on a four person golf cart (and more than six on a six person cart, etc).  Per the official rules, children can sit on an adult's lap (as long as it's not the driver), and as long as everyone is seated, you can have more than two passengers on one of the bench seats.

These are the current rules- check out the 4th and 6th bullets under General Cart Rules:

fw%20%20vehicle%20rules_zpsyp0unojx.jpg

https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/media/wdpro-assets/places-to-stay/campsites-at-fort-wilderness/Vehicles_Carts_and_Recreational_Devices_Rules_and_Regulations.pdf

TCD

26 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

For those wondering, it's OK to have more than four passengers on a four person golf cart (and more than six on a six person cart, etc).  Per the official rules, children can sit on an adult's lap (as long as it's not the driver), and as long as everyone is seated, you can have more than two passengers on one of the bench seats.

These are the current rules- check out the 4th and 6th bullets under General Cart Rules:

fw%20%20vehicle%20rules_zpsyp0unojx.jpg

https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/media/wdpro-assets/places-to-stay/campsites-at-fort-wilderness/Vehicles_Carts_and_Recreational_Devices_Rules_and_Regulations.pdf

TCD

Thanks for the info. 

Maybe the CM wanted my DD to sit on the back seat since it wasn't being used.  Or just a busy body. 

24 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Thanks for the info. 

Maybe the CM wanted my DD to sit on the back seat since it wasn't being used.  Or just a busy body. 

I vote for just a busy body.

Those Rangers love to hassle the guests.

If they need to, they'll make up a rule.

In the meantime, you will see blatant rule violations all around you, and they won't say a word about those.

TCD