Wishes! to be replaced with new Happily Ever After show

Just posted by WDWMagic...

Wishes at the Magic Kingdom will have its final performance on May 11 2017, to be replaced with a brand new nighttime spectacular.

Debuting May 12, the new show will be called "Happily Ever After," and will feature fireworks, projections and lasers.

Wishes debuted in October 2003 at the Magic Kingdom, bringing an extensive upgrade to the park's firework show. Rooftop launch locations were added, bringing more depth and precision to the show.

In recent times, the park has been upgrading the lighting package around the castle, culminating in the new lighting show, "Once Upon A Time."

Article Posted: Feb 09, 2017 / 10:19am EST

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/wishes/news/09feb2017-wishes-to-replaced-with-new-happily-ever-after-nighttime-spectacular.htm

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is all fine, but since Disney has now set a precedent by removing trees to improve the Tiana riverboat parade viewing, can they cut down all the trees on Discovery Island so I can see the firewor

I just hope they dont rely on the projections to tell the story. For me Wishes was awesome as the words, music, and fireworks all worked together to tell the story.

That's a really good point. The projection shows also cause a lot of congestion in the hub area, as guests want a clear view of the castle.  With Wishes, there were good and interesting viewing a

Disney Parks Blog post just went up...

‘Happily Ever After’ Nighttime Spectacular Will Debut at Magic Kingdom Park May 12

Jennifer Fickley-Baker

by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Editorial Content Manager, Walt Disney World Resort

Happily Ever After,” a new nighttime spectacular that will combine the magic of Disney storytelling, beloved Disney characters, fireworks and so much more, will debut at Magic Kingdom Park on May 12.

The spectacular will inspire guests to seek out and find their own “Happily Ever After” by showcasing some of the greatest adventures Disney characters have taken to achieve their dreams. The show will feature the latest fireworks and pyrotechnics and original animation, plus a heart-tugging original score. And thanks to the inclusion of state-of-the-art projection mapping technology, more Disney characters than ever before will be featured in the show, including moments from “Moana,” “Brave,” “Big Hero 6,” “Zootopia,” “The Princess & The Frog,” “Aladdin” and many others.

The Fireworks Dessert Party at Tomorrowland Terrace will continue to offer up a scrumptious way to view the nighttime fun as “Happily Ever After” makes its debut.

Keep your eye on the Disney Parks Blog as more details are released in the coming weeks.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/02/happily-ever-after-nighttime-spectacular-will-debut-at-magic-kingdom-park-may-12/

5 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Guess I know how I will be spending almost every night of my April vacation. Wishes is my favorite of all the fireworks shows. 

Already planning to get in as many Wishes viewing as I can over WWW.

I'm sure the new show will be cool but will there be a song I can sing along with?  ;)

7 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Honestly I'm looking forward to it, I love Wishes but I'm ready to try something new, as long as it's just as good!

WBI

I just hope they dont rely on the projections to tell the story. For me Wishes was awesome as the words, music, and fireworks all worked together to tell the story.

5 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I completely agree with you.

With all of the cost cutting that has happened, I fear that they're going to be more heavy with the projections than fireworks. 

Wishes is such a great show.  I can't see how they can possibly top it.

TCD

I was just thinking that this could be hard on the TCD girls.

Wishes debuted in 2003.  I can't even remember the fireworks show it replaced, and I'll bet my girls don't either.  Wishes is all they know.

It's funny that even though it's been around for 14 years, it doesn't seem stale or old.  Can't say that about parades and other shows.

I sure hope Disney doesn't mess this one up.

TCD

Fantasy in the Sky was the fireworks show prior to Wishes.  That was good too.

My biggest concern is that the projection portions will result in long periods of no fireworks, similar to the globe and fountain portions of Illuminations.  Not a big issue if you are in the park, but it really has the potential to ruin viewing the show from the resorts, like the beach at the Fort where you won't be able to see the projections.

27 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

Fantasy in the Sky was the fireworks show prior to Wishes.  That was good too.

My biggest concern is that the projection portions will result in long periods of no fireworks, similar to the globe and fountain portions of Illuminations.  Not a big issue if you are in the park, but it really has the potential to ruin viewing the show from the resorts, like the beach at the Fort where you won't be able to see the projections.

That's a really good point.

The projection shows also cause a lot of congestion in the hub area, as guests want a clear view of the castle.  With Wishes, there were good and interesting viewing areas in other parts of the MK.  That probably isn't going to be true for this show.

TCD

14 minutes ago, shoreline99 said:

And, oh yeah, still no new night time parade.

Hey, now.  This new fireworks show is supposed to distract us from that fact.  It has lasers and everything.

Also, not to be a Debbie Downer, but I would have to think if there are going to be a lot of projections in this show, that they probably will get rid of that new Mrs. Potts projection show (Once Upon a Time), and we can forget about Celebrate the Magic too.

So just one nighttime show.

Disney always wins. 

TCD

2 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Exactly

3 hours ago, BradyBzLyn...Mo said:

Already planning to get in as many Wishes viewing as I can over WWW.

I'm sure the new show will be cool but will there be a song I can sing along with?  ;)

You're Welcome.... that hasn't gotten enough play anywhere in the parks yet.

4 hours ago, GaDawgFan.....Kelly said:

I might cry. This is my favorite show of all time. Z and I sing it together. Even (my) Jason knows the words! 

4 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

Same here. 

Here too. I can pretty much call the play by play on the fireworks too.  Just ask DH (and try not to laugh when he rolls his eyes).

6 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I honestly never thought of that, if they cut down on the fireworks then I'll be totally against it!

For once, the Disney Parks Blog actually answered some questions about the new fireworks show.

1.  Tinkerbill will still fly in this new show:

Yes, I can confirm that Tinker Bell still flies in the new show.

Jennifer Fickley-Baker on February 9, 2017 at 7:18 pm

2.  The fireworks portion of the new show will still be substantial:

The team designed the show so it could be enjoyed from everywhere “Wishes” is currently seen today. While projections and other special effects will make the in-park experience unique, guests watching from Magic Kingdom resorts, watercraft on Seven Seas Lagoon, etc., will still see a full show of fireworks accompanied by a musical score. Jennifer Fickley-Baker on February 10, 2017 at 9:52 am

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/02/happily-ever-after-nighttime-spectacular-will-debut-at-magic-kingdom-park-may-12/

TCD