Wishes! to be replaced with new Happily Ever After show

The way Disney is approaching this Projection technology reminds me of when microwave ovens first became mainstream back in the late 70's.  My parents went and plunked down what was probably a lot of money for this huge thing that sat on the counter.  It was marvelous and groundbreaking technology.  And because it was so cool, they wanted to try cooking everything in it.  Eggs, steak, pizza, pie, ham, potatoes, oats....you name it.  While some of it was edible, the majority of it sucked monkey butt.  They quickly learned that, while the microwave is a neat thing to have, it's best used judiciously, in ways that complement the overall cooking experience.  Perhaps cook some veggies in it while grilling your steak and baking your potato.  But by all means don't cook the entire meal in it.  

Whoever was in charge of creating this show just got himself a brand new microwave and went overboard with it.  

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is all fine, but since Disney has now set a precedent by removing trees to improve the Tiana riverboat parade viewing, can they cut down all the trees on Discovery Island so I can see the firewor

I just hope they dont rely on the projections to tell the story. For me Wishes was awesome as the words, music, and fireworks all worked together to tell the story.

That's a really good point. The projection shows also cause a lot of congestion in the hub area, as guests want a clear view of the castle.  With Wishes, there were good and interesting viewing a

14 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

The way Disney is approaching this Projection technology reminds me of when microwave ovens first became mainstream back in the late 70's.  My parents went and plunked down what was probably a lot of money for this huge thing that sat on the counter.  It was marvelous and groundbreaking technology.  And because it was so cool, they wanted to try cooking everything in it.  Eggs, steak, pizza, pie, ham, potatoes, oats....you name it.  While some of it was edible, the majority of it sucked monkey butt.  They quickly learned that, while the microwave is a neat thing to have, it's best used judiciously, in ways that complement the overall cooking experience.  Perhaps cook some veggies in it while grilling your steak and baking your potato.  But by all means don't cook the entire meal in it.  

Whoever was in charge of creating this show just got himself a brand new microwave and went overboard with it.  

LOL.

I remember when we got our first microwave. It had a meat probe, so of course my mother cooked a roast in it.  Why?  Because she could. That was a bad idea.

It's great that Disney is taking advantage of the projection technology.  It's really cool, and the quality of it in this show is amazing.  But, with the projections, spotlights, lasers, and of course, the fireworks, it's like a three ring circus now- where am I supposed to look?

TCD

I forgot to include an important point about the new fireworks show.

I was there for the second performance on Saturday night, May 13th. They had plenty of PAC castmembers out to work crowd control, but they were fighting a losing battle. Because of the projections component of this show, everyone wants to watch from a spot where they can see the castle, and even with all of the new areas added in the last few years, there is nowhere near enough space for that.

As I said in my earlier post, we were at the very back of the old FP viewing area in front of Casey's Corner. There's a pathway right behind that that CM's keep clear as a walkway.  Guests are not allowed to stop there to watch the fireworks.  About 5 minutes before the fireworks began ,the CM's gave up, and people packed in this area too, some standing up on the wall behind us.  They have never let guests do that before. I think it's a real safety hazard, as that is the only walkway that guests could use during the show.

Crowding is going to be a huge problem because of how they structured this new fireworks show.  I think they made a really big mistake.

TCD

44 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Great analogy.  I remember my parents trying the "scrambled eggs" in a cup.  Pure nastiness.   

50 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Believe it or not I have a fabulous Meatloaf recipe from my Grandmother because of her first microwave. LOL

In watching the show online I was worried about how much they were relying on front of castle projections.  We would occasionally watch Wishes from Main Street but if it was crowded we would snag a spot in Frontierland or pretend we were in a bomb zone and hang in front of the Beauty and the Beast gift shop.  Even from the Fort you could get the story from the audio and fireworks.  It might even be better to just hear the music and see a good fireworks show.  I liked the colors on the castle and the stained glass section but the characters flying all over the place did seem frenetic.  

On 5/12/2017 at 9:30 PM, Katman1356...Jason said:

t finished watching the Live stream and here are my thoughts. 

I just finished watching the live stream of the new show Happily Ever After. My initial thoughts? Its a technological masterpiece. The visual projections are stunning, the fireworks are beautiful, and the addition of the laser ans light certainly add to the show.

However its a show that to me doesn't have heart. The disjointed jumping from one soundtrack to another and cramming in as many projections of characters and scenes is distracting from the message I do think it was trying to send.

I could and still will listen to the soundtrack to Wishes over and over again. This has one song. Happily Ever After. And the version released is rock version stripped of all the wonderful orchestrations that gave the one used in the shows a depth this studio version will never have.

I know I will watch it at least once in person to get the whole experience but as of now its just a bunch of explosions. Fabulous fireworks but it didn't touch me. I wasn't moved.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:07 PM, Katman1356...Jason said:

I do fully intend to. But think about this. Wishes was moving from the beach at the Fort. Or from the Poly Beach. Without the projections I dont hink people can connect to this in the same way. 

I agree that this show relies heavily on castle projections and you need to be able to see those to get the full impact. Sarah and i wastched from an area on Main Street, that was forward of Casey's Corner.  I could see most of the castlle.  Sarah, being taller, could see the entire castle.

My opinion?  Fantastic and spectacular don't seem like strong ewnough words.  I loved this.  I am surprised people say it doesn't have the emotional impact of Wishes.  I would cry during Wishes.  I sobbed during this.  There is a section about the importance of family that overwhelmed me.

The technology used was amazing.  Cube shaped fireworks?  Inconceivable!  

It also seemed like they took into account this time that all those fireworks create a lot of smoke.  It seemed that the smoke was anticipated and added to the show.

I am definitely looking forward to seeing this again.  In a few days, I will watch a video of it to see if it captures what I felt seeing it in person.  I do think the crowd added a lot to the experience.  Where we were, everyone was as into it as we were.

1 hour ago, DramaMama .......... Janet said:

We would occasionally watch Wishes from Main Street but if it was crowded we would snag a spot in Frontierland or pretend we were in a bomb zone and hang in front of the Beauty and the Beast gift shop.  

I, also, enjoyed watching Wishes from all over the MK, and from various resorts and even the TTC. All were great-the different perspectives were fun.  But, since so much of this show relies on the castle projections, you miss a lot by not having a clear view of the castle.

TCD

47 minutes ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

I agree that this show relies heavily on castle projections and you need to be able to see those to get the full impact. Sarah and i wastched from an area on Main Street, that was forward of Casey's Corner.  I could see most of the castlle.  Sarah, being taller, could see the entire castle.

My opinion?  Fantastic and spectacular don't seem like strong ewnough words.  I loved this.  I am surprised people say it doesn't have the emotional impact of Wishes.  I would cry during Wishes.  I sobbed during this.  There is a section about the importance of family that overwhelmed me.

It also seemed like they took into account this time that all those fireworks create a lot of smoke.  It seemed that the smoke was anticipated and added to the show.

I am definitely looking forward to seeing this again.  In a few days, I will watch a video of it to see if it captures what I felt seeing it in person.  I do think the crowd added a lot to the experience.  Where we were, everyone was as into it as we were.

These opinions are why I and others who watched online have said we will reserve full judgement until seeing it in person.  I only know one person who watched it online that loved it, and I'm married to her.  And since she is usually right about most things where I am wrong, I do need to wait until I finalize my opinion.  Although I do stick with my microwave analogy.  LOL.  

8 hours ago, Momof6....aka Marty said:

I would cry during Wishes.  I sobbed during this.  There is a section about the importance of family that overwhelmed me.

Having sung and cried alongside you during Wishes, I'm glad to hear this!  :)

I've not watched the full show on video yet, and I'm debating whether or not I will or just wait until I can see them in person. 

Although not sure I'll be able to wait that long. 

Maybe I'm cold hearted, or tired and cranky by the time Wishes would come on, but to me it was just a fancy fireworks show with some semi decent video. Nothing to get choked up about.  I'm sure this remark will get me on a lot of fiends Blacklist!

Now I've only seen Happily on the Blog post (which did a so so job broadcasting it).

I like how they included some of the "not as popular" movies like Tangled and Brave.  But all the clips seemed disjointed and didn't flow correctly/smoothly.

Plus, maybe it was just the broadcast,but it was very hard to make out a lot of the characters.

6 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Maybe I'm cold hearted, or tired and cranky by the time Wishes would come on, but to me it was just a fancy fireworks show with some semi decent video. Nothing to get choked up about.  I'm sure this remark will get me on a lot of fiends Blacklist!

Now I've only seen Happily on the Blog post (which did a so so job broadcasting it).

I like how they included some of the "not as popular" movies like Tangled and Brave.  But all the clips seemed disjointed and didn't flow correctly/smoothly.

Plus, maybe it was just the broadcast,but it was very hard to make out a lot of the characters.

You won't go on my blacklist.  I thought Wishes was great, and it obviously was well liked, as it sure stuck around for a long time.  It was designed to be a fireworks show, and that's what it was.

Happily Ever After is a whole new thing, as it is a combination fireworks/projections/laser/spotlight show. 

I agree with you that it is fun to see some more obscure movies incorporated into the show- in addition to what you mentioned- Hunchback of Notre Dame and Hercules.

The projections are very hard to see in person, even if you have a good view of the castle, because some of them come and go so quickly, or your view can be blocked by some ding-dong with his kid on his shoulders, or you might be looking up at the fireworks when something is projected on a lower part of the castle.

I think the projection part of the show is great.  But, it's a distraction from the fireworks and light show. And, it's kind of confusing to see what pops up when each song plays.  There were some scenes that I did not recognize, and I'd have to ask my daughter, "what is that from?"  With so many elements combined, this show is kind of a mess.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

You won't go on my blacklist.  I thought Wishes was great, and it obviously was well liked, as it sure stuck around for a long time.  It was designed to be a fireworks show, and that's what it was.

Happily Ever After is a whole new thing, as it is a combination fireworks/projections/laser/spotlight show. 

I agree with you that it is fun to see some more obscure movies incorporated into the show- in addition to what you mentioned- Hunchback of Notre Dame and Hercules.

The projections are very hard to see in person, even if you have a good view of the castle, because some of them come and go so quickly, or your view can be blocked by some ding-dong with his kid on his shoulders, or you might be looking up at the fireworks when something is projected on a lower part of the castle.

I think the projection part of the show is great.  But, it's a distraction from the fireworks and light show. And, it's kind of confusing to see what pops up when each song plays.  There were some scenes that I did not recognize, and I'd have to ask my daughter, "what is that from?"  With so many elements combined, this show is kind of a mess.

TCD

Since its FL, lets make that a HOT MESS !

Watching it on the live stream it was hard because they zoomed in and out so it was hard to see some of the characters.  

It was kind of like watching a 3 ringed circus, but at least at those you have one main act and two secondary ones.  Her you didn't know what to watch, the castle, fireworks, or lasers.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

It was kind of like watching a 3 ringed circus, but at least at those you have one main act and two secondary ones.  Her you didn't know what to watch, the castle, fireworks, or lasers.

Is there an echo in here?

Yes, I believe there is:

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:42 AM, Tri-Circle-D said:

It's really cool, and the quality of it in this show is amazing.  But, with the projections, spotlights, lasers, and of course, the fireworks, it's like a three ring circus now- where am I supposed to look?

The comparison is apt.

It would be fine if everyone has a view of everything that's going on.

But, unlike Wishes, there are very few places where you can get a prime view of the show.

TCD

30 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Is there an echo in here?

Yes, I believe there is:

The comparison is apt.

It would be fine if everyone has a view of everything that's going on.

But, unlike Wishes, there are very few places where you can get a prime view of the show.

TCD

Great minds think alike.

So maybe the powers to be deliberately made it confusing so you would have to view it numerous times.

Numerous times = numerous visits = more chances to sell Disney Stuff !

One visit to watch everything overall.

One to watch the castle

One to watch fireworks

One to watch lasers

And lets throw in a couple more to re-watch the castle show to catch all the things you missed because someone walked in front of you, kids on shoulders blocked view, or a tree was in the way.

I'll add my opinion which seems to be the same as others.

We watched the on May 13th from the Grand Floridian dock, the fireworks seemed really good.

May 14th we were in Magic Kingdom but didn't get a spot with a view early enough, instead we watched it from the outer hub ring by the popcorn stand on the Liberty Square side.  We had to watch under and through a tree, we could see the fireworks fine but almost no projections.

On May 17th we didn't really want to try and watch them so instead we rode rides and got snacks.  We ended up watching the fireworks from Frontierland, then walked through Fantasyland during them.  Again the fireworks were great.  Couldn't see any projections except the side of the castle where there is no movement.

May 19th we wanted to try again, at 7pm we watched the Move it Shake it "parade" in the hub, it was already packed with people staking out spots.  So we didn't stick around instead we focused on enjoying our last night, at 8:55pm we lucked out and found a table while getting ice cream in front of the Plaza.  If I sat on the ground and looked under the umbrellas it was the best view yet, which was still pretty horrible.  I could see most of the projections but they were super fast and I don't think W caught any of them.  He liked the fireworks and Tink.

As has been said I do not like that you have to be front and center to watch them, it made it much harder to find a spot.  Also after four nights over a week I have no clue of the music, there was nothing that got stuck in my head like: Wishes, dream a dream....  I'm sure it will be around a long time and it's Disney still does fireworks better than anyone else but...idk, maybe after a few years I'll love it too.

WBI

6 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

I'll add my opinion which seems to be the same as others.

We watched the on May 13th from the Grand Floridian dock, the fireworks seemed really good.

May 14th we were in Magic Kingdom but didn't get a spot with a view early enough, instead we watched it from the outer hub ring by the popcorn stand on the Liberty Square side.  We had to watch under and through a tree, we could see the fireworks fine but almost no projections.

On May 17th we didn't really want to try and watch them so instead we rode rides and got snacks.  We ended up watching the fireworks from Frontierland, then walked through Fantasyland during them.  Again the fireworks were great.  Couldn't see any projections except the side of the castle where there is no movement.

May 19th we wanted to try again, at 7pm we watched the Move it Shake it "parade" in the hub, it was already packed with people staking out spots.  So we didn't stick around instead we focused on enjoying our last night, at 8:55pm we lucked out and found a table while getting ice cream in front of the Plaza.  If I sat on the ground and looked under the umbrellas it was the best view yet, which was still pretty horrible.  I could see most of the projections but they were super fast and I don't think W caught any of them.  He liked the fireworks and Tink.

As has been said I do not like that you have to be front and center to watch them, it made it much harder to find a spot.  Also after four nights over a week I have no clue of the music, there was nothing that got stuck in my head like: Wishes, dream a dream....  I'm sure it will be around a long time and it's Disney still does fireworks better than anyone else but...idk, maybe after a few years I'll love it too.

WBI

What is the line of sight from the fireworks desert party like?

Are those paid seats good for the projections?

How soon before they start blocking off premium viewing spots in front of the castle for some other type of $$$ operation, or for FP viewing only?

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

What is the line of sight from the fireworks desert party like?

Are those paid seats good for the projections?

How soon before they start blocking off premium viewing spots in front of the castle for some other type of $$$ operation, or for FP viewing only?

Don't they already let the Desert party have one of the grassed areas?  I would think their line of sight is pretty good but that's a good question that I don't know.

WBI

6 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Don't they already let the Desert party have one of the grassed areas?  I would think their line of sight is pretty good but that's a good question that I don't know.

WBI

Travisma posted this same question on two threads.

Yes, they have taken away the FP+ viewing area in front of the Plaza restaurant, and made that an expansion of the Tomorrowland Terrace Desert Party.  It costs $59 to eat cupcakes and stand there, and $79 if you want to sit under the Tomorrowland Terrace roof.

The line of sight is good from there.

TCD

5 minutes ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

We may brave the crowds tonight for this. If so I'll report back. I'm skeptically optimistic 

If you're going to go, tonight would be the night to try.

It's going to get progressively busier as the weekend gets closer.

Also, it looks like we might be in for some rain tomorrow.

Remember- you want to have a clear view of the castle.

TCD

Quick thoughts.... It's a fun to watch show, a technology marvel, visually stunning, seems too commercial and disjointed...like a bunch of clips smashed together, I didn't follow a story like in wishes, not much emotion for me. Compared to wishes this new one has much more wow factor but short on emotion and an inspirational storyline.