RCL not allowed to leave Port Canaveral

RCL Majesty of the Sea prohibited by Coast Guard to leave Port Canaveral. News reports say there were safety concerns over life jackets.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-majesty-of-the-seas-coast-guard-florida-life-jackets/

I am waiting to hear more details on this story.

The tweet from RCCL says that they passed their last Coast Guard inspection, but now the Coast Guard is requiring them to immediately replace all the life jackets? What the heck?  Why wasn't that something that was noticed before they're about to head out on a cruise with passengers waiting? That doesn't sound like how things should be done, and it's not like this is some rinky-dink shady cruise line. There is obviously a lot more to this story.

TCD

Royal Caribbean released a statement Tuesday morning saying the Coast Guard “came across some technical issues, including some outdoor life jackets that were showing their age.”

“We hope to have replacements join the ship today and we expect to address the other issues shortly,” the statement reads.

A spokeswoman did not say what the other issues are, or if they are safety-related.

The ship was scheduled to leave Port Canaveral on Monday, but was held overnight after the issues were found.

Coast Guard officials said they will not allow the ship to leave until they are fixed. Royal Caribbean anticipates that happening later today, the spokeswoman said.

“Once they address the issues, we’ll send a team to check that the issues have been fixed and then they’ll be on their way,” Petty Officer 3rd Class Ryan Dickinson said Monday night.

In a tweet to a local journalist, Royal Caribbean indicate the life jackets on board were the cause of the delay.

@JonGaled Hey, Jonathan. We passed our previous inspection but the U.S. Coast guard would like for us to change the jackets immediately.

— Royal Caribbean (@RoyalCaribbean) February 14, 2017
7 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Maybe the coast guard has been telling them to replace the life jackets for months and they finally are fed up enough to hold them.

WBI

That's where I was going with saying that there had to be more to this story.  RCCL's Twitter explanation makes light of it, but it must be something serious for the Coast Guard to block them from sailing.

TCD

Orlando Sentinel 2/14/17 at 7:30 pm

Royal Caribbean cruise ship set sail from Florida on Tuesday, a day later than scheduled, because of problems with life jackets.

The Majesty of the Seas set sail from Port Canaveral after a 24-hour delay caused by a U.S. Coast Guard inspection that found some of the ship's life jackets were showing their age.

The life jackets were replaced with new ones, Royal Caribbean spokeswoman Cynthia Martinez said.

The Coast Guard found other technical issues that were addressed, she said.

Passengers who were expecting to be on their way to the Bahamas instead stayed overnight Monday and most of Tuesday in Port Canaveral.

The ship's 2,515 guests will receive onboard credit for 25 percent of their cruise fare as compensation for being inconvenienced, as well as a 25 percent discount on a future cruise, Martinez said in a statement.

"Royal Caribbean would also like to provide our guests with the opportunity to sail with us again," the statement said.

-------------------------------------------------------------

TV9 from Orlando

PORT CANAVERAL, Fla. - Passengers on Royal Caribbean’s Majesty of the Seas were making irate posts on social media Monday night after they said the ship was held at Port Canaveral due to safety issues.

“Instead of a Caribbean vacation, I get to spend the night in an industrial shipyard,” passenger John Shingara said. “Thanks, no thanks.”

Royal Caribbean, which did not immediately respond to Channel 9’s requests for comment, wrote back to Shingara, apologizing for the situation.

How many life jackets aren't up to code @RoyalCaribbean? This didn't sneak up on you. Thanks for checking @uscoastguard #MagestyofTheSeas

— Eric (@eric_thebruce) February 14, 2017

@RoyalCaribbean come on man. 1st the Captain makes an announcement we are leaving early morning. Now we are delayed until 1400. #Unsatisfied

— Jeremy Taylor (@Jktaylor1) February 14, 2017

@Royalcaribbean instead of a Caribbean vacation I get to spend the night in an industrial shipyard. Thanks no ... https://t.co/rwNJnH05fo

— John Shingara (@BearsFanLurch) February 14, 2017

@RoyalCaribbean we are spending the night in port due to safety violations reported by the Coast Guard. never had this happen before

— rachel rogers (@vballrach1) February 14, 2017

“We’re sorry about the delay, John,” the company posted on Twitter. “We’re working to get going ASAP, and appreciate your patience.”

Twitter user Jeremy Taylor also posted about the delay on departing from port.

“Come on, man,” he wrote. “First the captain makes an announcement we are leaving early morning, now we are delayed until (2 p.m.).”

After Royal Caribbean responded with an apology, Taylor continued to voice his frustration.

“I understand delays for maintenance, but not preventable safety violations,” he wrote.

Passengers onboard the ship said they couldn’t disembark because customs agents had left for the day.

The ship could be

seen sitting at port via webcam.

===================================================================================

MORE than 2000 passengers were left stranded on a cruise ship bound for the Bahamas when it unexpectedly delayed at port after the ship failed a safety inspection by the US Coast Guard.

Royal Caribbean’s Majesty of the Seas was scheduled to depart from Port Canaveral, Florida late on Monday, but Coast Guard officials ordered the liner to remain docked on Valentine’s Day after inspectors found multiple safety infractions, including the vessel’s life preservers that were “showing their age”, Fox News reported, citing Florida Today.

“Yesterday, the US Inspectors found ‘multiple’ safety concerns involving the ship’s lifesaving equipment for its 2700 passengers and 800 crew members, officials reported. Ultimately, they failed the inspection,” Royal Caribbean said in a statement.

More than 2000 passengers and 800 crew members were stuck aboard the 13-deck vessel for more than 24 hours. The ship was set to depart for a four-night excursion through the Bahamas, CocoCay and Nassau.

The ship’s major mechanical components, such as the engine and the hull, passed the inspection.

New life jackets were sent to the ship on Tuesday, and it had to undergo another inspection to be cleared for sailing.

It set off on Tuesday, a day behind schedule.

Royal Caribbean kept the docked passengers entertained with food, shopping and shows on-board the static ship.

Still, several passengers who thought they’d be enjoying a romantic Valentine’s Day trip took to social media to express their frustration with the line.

“Hey @RoyalCaribbean thanks for turning my Caribbean vacation into a docked shipyard stay,” says Whitney Linn on Twitter.

Others remained optimistic. “Chill out @RoyalCaribbean #majestyoftheseas passengers. There are worse places to be “stranded” & you’re aboard a floating city of fun!” posted Erica Bourdage.

It came days after cruise guests spent several days stranded at sea off the coast of Melbourne after their cruise ship, The Norwegian Star, broke down. The ship had to be hauled back to shore by two tugboats.

© 2017 Cox Media Group.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Twtter

19 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

It's good to know that the Coast Guard is keeping an eye on the cruise industry.  Proper life jackets for passengers is kind of important.

It's a bummer for the guests.  This was only a four night cruise to begin with.

TCD

Agree x10

We have the houseboat and the pontoon boat safety inspected every year.  To make sure we are compliant and safe. (And if lake patrol sees the sticker they leave you alone).    If one thing is missing or defective we don't pass and don't get our inspection sticker.

they take it very serious for us recreational boaters. I imagine they are as hard if not harder on commercial vessels.   

My only complaint with life jackets and coast guard approval is the cost for a manufacturer to get approved. I have a very fast, almost 100MPH, boat. I do not trust any life jacket that is coast guard approved. I DO trust my life to a custom made, full racing life jacket that is impact tested to over 100MPH. It does not have a coast guard approval though. I have been fussed at on several occasions by coast guard auxiliary during an inspection for not wearing a jacket with the approval stamp. To get that stamp, the manufacturer has to submit close to 100 jackets along with almost $200,000 for testing. That is a huge financial burden for a small quantity manufacturer. I have personally witnessed a person being saved by the same jacket I use after flipping his boat at over 120MPH. I care about results, not some governmental stamp. 

16 hours ago, Specularius said:

My only complaint with life jackets and coast guard approval is the cost for a manufacturer to get approved. I have a very fast, almost 100MPH, boat. I do not trust any life jacket that is coast guard approved. I DO trust my life to a custom made, full racing life jacket that is impact tested to over 100MPH. It does not have a coast guard approval though. I have been fussed at on several occasions by coast guard auxiliary during an inspection for not wearing a jacket with the approval stamp. To get that stamp, the manufacturer has to submit close to 100 jackets along with almost $200,000 for testing. That is a huge financial burden for a small quantity manufacturer. I have personally witnessed a person being saved by the same jacket I use after flipping his boat at over 120MPH. I care about results, not some governmental stamp. 

Do you legally have to wear a life jacket when you're operating your rocket boat?

Couldn't you wear your custom life jacket and have a separate CG approved jacket on board to satisfy the inspector?

TCD

That is exactly what I do. The inspecting people always give me a hard time for trusting something that is not coast guard approved. The regulations state a coast guard approved personal flotation device must be on board for every person on board but is not required to be worn, except children under the age of 13 must wear one at all times while on board any vessel under 26 feet long. 

34 minutes ago, Specularius said:

That is exactly what I do. The inspecting people always give me a hard time for trusting something that is not coast guard approved. The regulations state a coast guard approved personal flotation device must be on board for every person on board but is not required to be worn, except children under the age of 13 must wear one at all times while on board any vessel under 26 feet long. 

OK, I didn't know if there was some kind of state law or special requirement because of your boat making in mandatory for you to wear a life jacket.

I know that in Florida, we are also required to have at least one throwable PFD and a fire extinguisher, flare gun, horn, and I think a paddle (at least it's on my checklist, but I'm not sure where I got it).

TCD

6 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

OK, I didn't know if there was some kind of state law or special requirement because of your boat making in mandatory for you to wear a life jacket.

I know that in Florida, we are also required to have at least one throwable PFD and a fire extinguisher, flare gun, horn, and I think a paddle (at least it's on my checklist, but I'm not sure where I got it).

TCD

Same law in Oklahoma. Except we don't have to have a flare gun.  

On the house boat we have to have a bell. 

8 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Yeah, I don't figure you'd ever be very far out to sea in Oklahoma to require a flare gun.

TCD

Lol. We actually have a flare gun on the houseboat.  We keep it on lake tenkiller which is part of the Arkansas river navigational waterway so the boat is a coastguard registered vessel.  (It's cheaper on the annual registration fees).   So the coast guard requires a flare gun but the Oklahoma highway patrol does the annual inspection and they don't require one.