http://www.wdwmagic.com/transportation/walt-disney-world-gondola-system/news/15feb2017-is-the-walt-disney-world-gondola-system-about-to-become-a-reality-.htm

Recently filed permitting plans suggest that Walt Disney World may be about to get its own gondola transportation system.

The plans show several structures at key locations around property, with some exhibiting quite distinctive proportions - L Shapes, that are typically used to change direction on overhead cable-based gondolas. (Thanks to danlb_2000 and P_Radden on the WDWMAGIC Forums for interpreting the plans)

The plans appear to show the new gondola transportation system linking Disney's Hollywood Studios, Art of Animation Resort, Caribbean Beach Resort and Epcot.

Walt-Disney-World-Gondola-System_Full_29

Timing is especially inserting, as major changes are coming to Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort and Disney's Hollywood Studios, which would make integration of a new transport system much easier.

The Magic Kingdom of course had its own Skyway, which served as an attraction inside the park for many years. But the use of gondolas as mass transport is gaining popularity. A new system is proposed for New York City, and London already operates a version in the east of the city.

Disney has not yet announced any new transportation plan, but it is well known that expansion of the monorail is unlikely, and roadways for bus use are becoming increasingly congested.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think everyone is missing the big chance here for Disney to up the thrill experience, I see the future in the addition of the Official Disney Bungee experience and Dessert party

http://www.wdwmagic.com/transportation/walt-disney-world-gondola-system/news/15feb2017-is-the-walt-disney-world-gondola-system-about-to-become-a-reality-.htm  

This is precisely why gondolas are a horrible idea.  Many years ago my family and I were riding this very gondola and a giant ape attacked us.  I seem to remember it being located in central Florida,

9 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Seems to me if they were going to build something like that they would go with a more efficient layout.

It makes sense to me   They are close to HS and Epcot  

AoA would also include Pop.  Who's buses are always crowded and seem to run slow.  If they offer a gondola to the parks it would help with the crowds and they could charge more for the rooms  

And since Caribbean beach club is being expand and supposedly becoming a DVC they are going to have to offer those new owner something cool. Like a gondola.   

10 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Interesting.  I would imagine they will be more like the aerial cable cars they have in NYC going to Roosevelt Island then the little ones they have at Busch Gardens or what they used to have at the MK.

Agree.  I think the Roosevelt tramway carries 100 passengers at a time.  It would have to carry that many people to make it successful 

I'm reading the permit application now and I see the shapes they are talking about that look like a gondola station but man that's a big leap on very limited information.

The engineer report is very vague (probably on purpose) here's the project summary:

This application, L402 Basin Update, seeks a permit modification for additional stormwater system improvements within the L402 Basin. These improvements are in support of various building, roadway, construction laydown and parking lot modifications across the L402 basin.

WBI

Thanks for posting this, Nick.

It's not something I have heard anything about, but some kind of alternate transportation along the paths shown on that aerial photo would be a great idea.

According to Wikipeida, the London Gondola system can transport 2500 people per hour (equivalent to 50 busloads).

The cable car provides a crossing every 15 seconds, with a maximum capacity of 2,500 passengers per hour in each direction, about 50 busloads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirates_Air_Line_(cable_car)

It's not a bad idea.

TCD

1 minute ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thanks for posting this, Nick.

It's not something I have heard anything about, but some kind of alternate transportation along the paths shown on that aerial photo would be a great idea.

According to Wikipeida, the London Gondola system can transport 2500 people per hour (equivalent to 50 busloads).

The cable car provides a crossing every 15 seconds, with a maximum capacity of 2,500 passengers per hour in each direction, about 50 busloads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emirates_Air_Line_(cable_car)

It's not a bad idea.

TCD

Jason gets the credit for this find.  :)

I think this would be awesome and could work if they actually do it.  The permit says they would start construction early 2017 and finish in 2019.  I'd think that its tied to the Caribbean beach construction.  Speaking of which I just looked at that permit and had no idea how much construction was going on there.  It looks like they are going to demo quite a few buildings and build a new one.

On another note I've read that the Gondola in London was built for the olympics but now commuters don't use it, it's become a tourist attraction.

WBI

Sorry Jason.

You are still the man!

12 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

On another note I've read that the Gondola in London was built for the olympics but now commuters don't use it, it's become a tourist attraction.

I'm not even sure it's much of a tourist attraction.  I honestly heard nothing about it when I was planning my trip to London a couple of years ago.  We spent all of our time in London, and used the Tube and buses extensively.  We never even considered the gondolas- I don't think the line is near anything that we were interested in seeing.  But, I would gladly take one at WDW instead of a bus!

TCD

16 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

Jason gets the credit for this find.  :)

I think this would be awesome and could work if they actually do it.  The permit says they would start construction early 2017 and finish in 2019.  I'd think that its tied to the Caribbean beach construction.  Speaking of which I just looked at that permit and had no idea how much construction was going on there.  It looks like they are going to demo quite a few buildings and build a new one.

WBI

That's because he's snowed in and has cabin fever! :lol:

4 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Sorry Jason.

You are still the man!

I'm not even sure it's much of a tourist attraction.  I honestly heard nothing about it when I was planning my trip to London a couple of years ago.  We spent all of our time in London, and used the Tube and buses extensively.  We never even considered the gondolas- I don't think the line is near anything that we were interested in seeing.  But, I would gladly take one at WDW instead of a bus!

TCD

No worries. Just glad to share thing when I find them. 

If this gets built I can't see it working very well unless they are strict about loading and unloading. The gondolas will have a limited amount of time for people to get in and out while detached from the cable at the bullwheel. If people are folding strollers or on a scooter and take too long the cable would have to be shutdown.

ok I found some buildings in the Caribbean Beach plans and I found some buildings in the new plan that came out, but I don't see anything that shows it going down to Art of Animation. I also don't see a building at the International Gateway for Epcot.  I'm not saying they aren't hidden in another plan some hwere I just can't find them.

To me it wouldn't make sense to tie a Value resort to the system but that's just me.

I'm still surprised by how much CB is going to change.  Are they going to separate that guy into two different resorts?  

WBI

7 minutes ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

If this gets built I can't see it working very well unless they are strict about loading and unloading. The gondolas will have a limited amount of time for people to get in and out while detached from the cable at the bullwheel. If people are folding strollers or on a scooter and take too long the cable would have to be shutdown.

Ugh.  I didn't think about strollers and scooters.  That's going to be an issue.  But, they deal with it on the boats and monorails.  Maybe they will have accessible gondolas that they can consolidate all those riders in.

4 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

ok I found some buildings in the Caribbean Beach plans and I found some buildings in the new plan that came out, but I don't see anything that shows it going down to Art of Animation. I also don't see a building at the International Gateway for Epcot.  I'm not saying they aren't hidden in another plan some hwere I just can't find them.

To me it wouldn't make sense to tie a Value resort to the system but that's just me.

I'm still surprised by how much CB is going to change.  Are they going to separate that guy into two different resorts?  

WBI

There's a rumor about that new part of the CBR becoming a DVC property.  I think they'd have to make that a separate resort to make it work.  But, I'm not sure if there's any truth to that rumor.  It seems like a big and unnecessary departure from DVC's operating model.

TCD

48 minutes ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

That's a good point. All of the other transportation at WDW can stop and wait for loading and unloading. I think if they go with a gondola where you can wheel in they should be able to keep things moving. What takes most of the time with the other methods is waiting for parents to unload and fold up the strollers of for the driver to lock down wheelchairs/scooters.

What just doesn't sit with me is the layout. Depending upon how it is implemented one could end up having to switch cars and lines multiple times which would be hard with kids or a large group. If people that are passing through stay on the car and those not moving on get off you will likely end up with empty cars. If they go with a hub why make the route so long and not place it more centrally to increase efficiency? It will be interesting to see what it ends up being.

9 hours ago, Travisma said:

Interesting.  I would imagine they will be more like the aerial cable cars they have in NYC going to Roosevelt Island then the little ones they have at Busch Gardens or what they used to have at the MK.

This is precisely why gondolas are a horrible idea.  Many years ago my family and I were riding this very gondola and a giant ape attacked us.  I seem to remember it being located in central Florida, however.

40 minutes ago, ftwildernessguy said:

This is precisely why gondolas are a horrible idea.  Many years ago my family and I were riding this very gondola and a giant ape attacked us.  I seem to remember it being located in central Florida, however.

We must have been there same time. Happened to me too, it was horrifying.

20 minutes ago, DisneyVampire said:

As for the Caribbean, roughly about 35% - 40% of the buildings are being reconstructed. All restaurants including the grab and go, Shutters, and part of the gift shop.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

So the entire food court area is being redone?  That's a huge undertaking. I wouldn't want to be a guest there while that's going on. 

TCD

So the entire food court area is being redone?  That's a huge undertaking. I wouldn't want to be a guest there while that's going on. 

TCD

Yes. They will be undergoing a complete renovation. There are going to be some "grab and go" stuff there, but both Shutters and the food court will be closed as of 5/1 for 13 months. Certain things will be in place to assist the Caribbean Resort guests with dining.

23 hours ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

On the local news and in the Orlando Sentinel. Permit was filed by DISNEY and REEDY CREEK together.

8 minutes ago, DisneyVampire said:

Yes. They will be undergoing a complete renovation. There are going to be some "grab and go" stuff there, but both Shutters and the food court will be closed as of 5/1 for 13 months. Certain things will be in place to assist the Caribbean Resort guests with dining.

Wow. 13 months?  They are completely recreating this resort. I can't think of another resort renovation at WDW on the scale of this. Those DVC rumors are probably true. 

TCD