• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think everyone is missing the big chance here for Disney to up the thrill experience, I see the future in the addition of the Official Disney Bungee experience and Dessert party

http://www.wdwmagic.com/transportation/walt-disney-world-gondola-system/news/15feb2017-is-the-walt-disney-world-gondola-system-about-to-become-a-reality-.htm  

This is precisely why gondolas are a horrible idea.  Many years ago my family and I were riding this very gondola and a giant ape attacked us.  I seem to remember it being located in central Florida,

It looks like if they build it it will terminate at the Epcot International Gateway. I wish the system would be expanded all the way to the Epcot monorail station. Then you would have 3 of the parks connected by non-bus transportation. Would be cool to ride the monorail from TTC to Epcot and transfer to the gondola to HS.

Sent from my handheld doohickie

34 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

It looks like if they build it it will terminate at the Epcot International Gateway. I wish the system would be expanded all the way to the Epcot monorail station. Then you would have 3 of the parks connected by non-bus transportation. Would be cool to ride the monorail from TTC to Epcot and transfer to the gondola to HS.

But if you did that, there would be no possibility of suckering you into purchasing something at EPCOT.  Here if you have to walk thru, you will be enticed to buy something, plus you will need an AP or some sort of ticket to go thru the park.

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

But would you not be able to take the gondola from Epcot to HS?  Or does the gondola from HS not go to the International Gate?

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

But if you did that, there would be no possibility of suckering you into purchasing something at EPCOT.  Here if you have to walk thru, you will be enticed to buy something, plus you will need an AP or some sort of ticket to go thru the park.

I have to say, the little gift shop by the International Gateway is probably second only to Mouse Gears as my favorite in EPCOT. It's a really neat little shop, and they often have unique merchandise there.

1 hour ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

But would you not be able to take the gondola from Epcot to HS?  Or does the gondola from HS not go to the International Gate?

I'm saying if I did not or could not enter Epcot, you could take the monorail to Epcot, not enter the park, just transfer to the gondola.  If you don't have park hopping privileges you can't walk from the monorail station to the International Gateway to catch the gondola.  

2 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I'm saying if I did not or could not enter Epcot, you could take the monorail to Epcot, not enter the park, just transfer to the gondola.  If you don't have park hopping privileges you can't walk from the monorail station to the International Gateway to catch the gondola.  

Ok. Gotcha.  Your right it would definitely be better to be  able to transfer from the gondola to the monorail directly. Therefore tying more of the non-bus  transportation together.    Perhaps Disney is trying to sell more Park Hopper tickets. They must make a fortune off of them. It really doesn't cost them anything to have people park hop. 

7 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I really haven't followed all of the rumors about these gondolas, and I have no idea what they may or may not be planning, but what I saw initially made it look like the intent was to make these gondolas a perk for resort guests in some of the moderate resorts which had bad transportation systems- namely the Caribbean Beach Resort and Coronado Springs. 

It seems to me that they want the unwashed masses to use the monorails, and these gondolas will be targeted to a more upscale crowd.  If they are not stopping at the Epcot monorail station, that reinforces that idea.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I really haven't followed all of the rumors about these gondolas, and I have no idea what they may or may not be planning, but what I saw initially made it look like the intent was to make these gondolas a perk for resort guests in some of the moderate resorts which had bad transportation systems- namely the Caribbean Beach Resort and Coronado Springs. 

It seems to me that they want the unwashed masses to use the monorails, and these gondolas will be targeted to a more upscale crowd.  If they are not stopping at the Epcot monorail station, that reinforces that idea.

TCD

But using that logic, wouldn't it be a fantastic perk for those resorts, especially where they are adding DVC, if you would travel by gondola and direct transfer to monorail to the Magic Kingdom?  Granted, by the time you factor in the transfer from gondola to monorail, then transferring at TTC to either monorail or ferry, it would be a heck of a journey.  But they could certainly market it that way.  

10 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

But using that logic, wouldn't it be a fantastic perk for those resorts, especially where they are adding DVC, if you would travel by gondola and direct transfer to monorail to the Magic Kingdom?  Granted, by the time you factor in the transfer from gondola to monorail, then transferring at TTC to either monorail or ferry, it would be a heck of a journey.  But they could certainly market it that way.  

Everything you say makes sense if you forget what those monorails look and smell like. That's where your argument falls apart.  IF the gondolas are going to cater to an upscale crowd, they don't want those folks anywhere near the monorails or monorail people.

TCD

Just now, Tri-Circle-D said:

Everything you say makes sense if you forget what those monorails look and smell like. That's where your argument falls apart.  IF the gondolas are going to cater to an upscale crowd, they don't want those folks anywhere near the monorails or monorail people.

TCD

I think it's very presumptuous of you to assume that wealthy people don't like the smell of Band Aids and vomit.  

Plus....we are talking about Caribbean Beach, Art of Animation and Pop Century.  Who said anything about Upscale??

4 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

Plus....we are talking about Caribbean Beach, Art of Animation and Pop Century.  Who said anything about Upscale??

The AoA and Pop part of the rumor is new.  It hasn't been announced yet, but I think they are adding DVC rooms to Caribbean Beach.  DVC folks are very extra.

4 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I think it's very presumptuous of you to assume that wealthy people don't like the smell of Band Aids and vomit.  

Good point. That was an assumption on my part, and you know what they say about assuming.

Also, I definitely detect a hint of tacos in addition to the vomit and band aids when I'm trapped in a monorail.  And that is on top of the BO of my fellow unwashed guests.

TCD

I found some more information this morning on the gondolas.  It has to do with who is supposedly is going to be contracted for the job.  Here you go.

http://thedisneyblog.com/2017/04/02/aerial-gondola-transportation-system-one-step-closer-construction-walt-disney-world/?platform=hootsuite

Aerial Gondola transportation system one step closer to construction at Walt Disney World.

doppelmayer-3S-boat.jpg
Copyright Doppelmayr

Disney World has moved a step closer to building the unannounced Aerial tramway (aka Gondola) system we discussed before. Last week permits were filed (dug up again by the folks on WDWMagic’s forums) for foundation and building infrastructure at the six main locations of the future transportation system. No official word yet from Disney that they’re even planning on building this system, but once ground is broken that’s usually a good sign.

It’s believed that Disney is contracting with the Doppelmayr group out of Austria to provide the aerial tramway system and gondolas, likely the 3S model. The advantages of the 3S cable system is that it consumes less energy, has a high passenger capacity (5000 pph both ways), and increased wind stability. All of those would be important to a system in daily use in Central Florida.

The good news is that Doppelmayr have provided some videos that give us a good idea of how the load and unload system for Disney’s system might work. Just imagine tourists with strollers and backpacks instead of skiers with skies and poles.

I like that the slow speed in station provides plenty of time for those in wheelchairs to board a car. If longer time is needed, a car can be detached from the cables where loading can take as long as needed before the gondola is reconnected to the system.

As far as Safety, cars are air conditioned, have a radio to call for help, and can be moved back to base even if the primary ropeway stops working. That’s important for Disney that doesn’t want to news to cover every time some group of tourists get stuck on the aerial tramway.

doppelmayer-3S-2.jpg
copyright doppelmayr

If you’re in the US and want to experience another Doppelmayr system, just head to Portland, OR and jump on the “Marquam Hill” tramway. It’s an important connection to one of the cities important hospital universities and the downtown area. Oh yeah, Doppelmayer also built the elevated train used down the street as the Hogwarts Express between the two Harry Potter lands at Universal Orlando Resort.

This route will help alleviate an overtaxed system of buses in and around the three resorts (Caribbean Beach Resort, Pop Century, and Art of Animation) and Disney’s Hollywood Studios and EPCOT.

article credit: thedisneyblog.com, john frost

photos credits: thedisneyblog.com and doppelmayr

video credit: doppelmayr and youtube

50 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Also, I definitely detect a hint of tacos in addition to the vomit and band aids when I'm trapped in a monorail.  And that is on top of the BO of my fellow unwashed guests.

TCD

You mean the smell of Europeans and Brazilians in the summer doesn't appeal to you?  I thought hairy armpits for both genders was your thing?  hahahahahaha

17 minutes ago, AuburnJen said:

I found some more information this morning on the gondolas.  It has to do with who is supposedly is going to be contracted for the job.  Here you go.

http://thedisneyblog.com/2017/04/02/aerial-gondola-transportation-system-one-step-closer-construction-walt-disney-world/?platform=hootsuite

The good news is that Doppelmayr have provided some videos that give us a good idea of how the load and unload system for Disney’s system might work. Just imagine tourists with strollers and backpacks instead of skiers with skies and poles.

Wow, those cars move fast in that video.  Also, the loading and unloading process might work fine for Austrian skiers who are disciplined and physically fit.  That ain't gonna fly with American Disney guests who are neither of those things.

TCD

30 minutes ago, DisneyVampire said:

Well the local news is all over the system. It should be done by 2019 according to them.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

The Tampa ABC news station also carried the report and credited it to their Orlando sister station.  It had the same Google satellite photo with the colored lines drawn on it that we have seen numerous times posted here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2017 at 3:16 PM, lightbikes said:

I want mine to travel through snow capped peaks.

:lol:

It's Disney - I'm sure that could be arranged!  LOL

On 4/18/2017 at 8:02 PM, ImDownWithDisney said:

Well there ya go!

So will this end up being like the People Mover where when it's not busy they let folks just ride it around and around for fun? 

(ok me, that would be me)