Caribbean Beach & Coronado Springs Expansion

I didn't see an old thread so I started a new one.

Walt Disney News Today has confirmed this from the Disney Parks blog but I haven't found that yet:

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/02/confirmed-expansions-caribbean-beach-coronado-springs-resort-hoteis/

From the Disney Parks Blog:

IMG_7100-1200x675.jpg

Whenever it’s time to share exciting news about a new expansion project, I remember one of my favorite Walt Disney quotes. “We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we’re curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

Today, we are thrilled to share with you that changes are on the horizon at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort over the next two years and let me tell you, there is a lot to be excited about!

The expansion at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort will include a new 15-story tower that will add 500 rooms, featuring suites and concierge level services. The resort will also refurbish its current resort rooms and transform its landscape with floating gardens and an island oasis that connects the resort through a series of bridges.

The new tower overlooking Lago Dorado, the resort’s centerpiece lake, will allow guests to experience something truly unique, rooftop dining with panoramic views of popular nighttime fireworks from nearby Disney theme parks.

Also during this exciting time, Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort will be reimagined with new additions to the resort’s current marketplace, Centertown, including new waterfront dining and retail shopping areas. This centralized location will offer the resort’s guests more convenient access to services, amenities and dining.

At Walt Disney World Resort, many of our guest’s magical memories start at one of our 27-themed resorts each and every day, which is why we will always continue to “move forward” and “create new experiences” that are integral to the overall resort experience!

We can’t wait to share more with you as these projects come to life!

WBI

Thanks for posting this, Nick.

It's a huge announcement.

16 hours ago, Beckers said:

I've never been to Coronado Springs but I think the up dates sound nice but I've been reading on FB people are complaining about the tower.

I understand those complaints- a 15 story tower will completely change the feel and beautiful theming of this resort.

It doesn't matter much to me personally, if it's awful, I just won't go there.

I don't understand what they're up to.  The Disney Parks Blog specifically says that the tower will have suites and concierge level services.  But, this is currently a Moderate resort.  I'm not sure how they're going to work pricing and reservations for that.

The artwork for the tower is weird.  It doesn't show any balconies for the rooms.  Since they're using the views as a selling point, you'd think that guests would want balconies.  All of the deluxe hotels have balconies.  The lack of balconies suggests that they're not going to market this as a deluxe resort.  Yet, they are suggesting that there will be amenities that extend beyond what is currently offered a the Moderate resorts.  This all suggests that there may be a new resort category coming.

It's also interesting that the announcement doesn't say a peep about DVC rooms at either one of these resorts.  But, I can't help but notice that it says nothing at all about new guest rooms at Caribbean Beach.  Is that because they will be DVC rooms, but they're not ready to say that yet since they have a bunch of Wilderness Lodge DVC inventory to sell?

It will be interesting to see what both of these resorts become when the dust settles.

TCD

24 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Thanks for posting this, Nick.

It's a huge announcement.

I understand those complaints- a 15 story tower will completely change the feel and beautiful theming of this resort.

It doesn't matter much to me personally, if it's awful, I just won't go there.

I don't understand what they're up to.  The Disney Parks Blog specifically says that the tower will have suites and concierge level services.  But, this is currently a Moderate resort.  I'm not sure how they're going to work pricing and reservations for that.

The artwork for the tower is weird.  It doesn't show any balconies for the rooms.  Since they're using the views as a selling point, you'd think that guests would want balconies.  All of the deluxe hotels have balconies.  The lack of balconies suggests that they're not going to market this as a deluxe resort.  Yet, they are suggesting that there will be amenities that extend beyond what is currently offered a the Moderate resorts.  This all suggests that there may be a new resort category coming.

It's also interesting that the announcement doesn't say a peep about DVC rooms at either one of these resorts.  But, I can't help but notice that it says nothing at all about new guest rooms at Caribbean Beach.  Is that because they will be DVC rooms, but they're not ready to say that yet since they have a bunch of Wilderness Lodge DVC inventory to sell?

It will be interesting to see what both of these resorts become when the dust settles.

TCD

Good comments TCD.

I agree it doesn't bother me at all, if I don't like I won't stay there, just like how I don't care for CB now, just my opinion.

More of the rumor is that they are making Coronado Springs the convention resort so they can demo the one at the Contemporary.  And if it's going to be the go to resort for conventions then they'll need nicer rooms for business people.  

Remember they already did this once at the Coronado, improved some rooms and added some kind of concierge level.

Also I agree its odd no mention of DVC or tower at CB.  From the plan view I posted the tower footprint looks identical to the tower at Coronado Springs.

WBI

22 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

More of the rumor is that they are making Coronado Springs the convention resort so they can demo the one at the Contemporary.  And if it's going to be the go to resort for conventions then they'll need nicer rooms for business people.  

That makes sense.  But, the rooms in that tower aren't going to fit the Moderate mold.  So, what do they call them, and how do they have two levels of rooms and amenities coexisting within one resort?  That's why I'm wondering about a new level of room category and a departure from the current Value, Moderate, Deluxe classifications.

Remember they already did this once at the Coronado, improved some rooms and added some kind of concierge level.

I do remember that.  It was on a small scale, and not widely promoted, but I know they offered it.  This tower is a huge jump from that little test.

Also I agree its odd no mention of DVC or tower at CB.  From the plan view I posted the tower footprint looks identical to the tower at Coronado Springs.

That's very interesting.  Since Disney loves to copy projects (e.g. the All Star resorts), is it possible that a copy of the Coronado tower is going to be plopped into Caribbean Beach?  What does that do to all the DVC rumors?  Same deal here- there have been rumors about a new DVC category.  Could these towers be the first of those? 

One thing I haven't mentioned is that anyone who was holding out hope that they'd never build a big a** building on the River Country footprint can kiss that hope goodbye.

TCD

1 hour ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That makes sense.  But, the rooms in that tower aren't going to fit the Moderate mold.  So, what do they call them, and how do they have two levels of rooms and amenities coexisting within one resort?  That's why I'm wondering about a new level of room category and a departure from the current Value, Moderate, Deluxe classifications.

I do remember that.  It was on a small scale, and not widely promoted, but I know they offered it.  This tower is a huge jump from that little test.

That's very interesting.  Since Disney loves to copy projects (e.g. the All Star resorts), is it possible that a copy of the Coronado tower is going to be plopped into Caribbean Beach?  What does that do to all the DVC rumors?  Same deal here- there have been rumors about a new DVC category.  Could these towers be the first of those? 

One thing I haven't mentioned is that anyone who was holding out hope that they'd never build a big a** building on the River Country footprint can kiss that hope goodbye.

TCD

Definitely lots of unknowns.  Who knows what will happen.

River Country, we all know they have a detailed plan laid out, I just wonder when they'll pick that back up.  With all of these other changes and schemes who knows when they'll move forward with that big undertaking...unless you know something new.

WBI

1 hour ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

...unless you know something new.

WBI

No.  I haven't heard anything.  I imagine that all of this stuff they just announced is going to keep them busy for a few years, and River Country will sit on the back burner for a while longer.

But, if there is any DVC stuff being built on to moderate property, the door will be wide open for a DVC at Fort Wilderness.

TCD

Clearly they are becoming more interested in Convention business, (isn't that what Coronado Springs was for to begin with?) so I can see a "Business Class" level of resort rooms. It works for the Airlines.

Taking that a step further, perhaps they are also thinking a "Business Class" DVC might be worth pursuing...

If they've saturated the family market for DVC's, a new DVC level pitched to businesses and corporations might be in the works.

Kind of like the old Magic Kingdom Club that businesses could buy into for their employees to use, maybe they think DVC rooms could be used as a perk?

No idea how that would work alongside the traditional DVC but if there is an untapped market for DVC rooms you can bet they will figure out a way to go after it.

While they pitched it as just suites they could also be multifunctional as a Moderate level family suite. The family suites at the value level have done well maybe they are expanding on that idea. But by leaving the family out of the description it really is just a suite that can be used in either way. 

46 minutes ago, arthuruscg said:

Do any mods have 2 or 3 room suites like AoA?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Coronado Springs 

• The resort has about 30 junior suites, which are basically equivalent to two connecting standard rooms. The bedroom includes either one king bed or two double beds and the second room is set up as a living room with a sleeper sofa or Murphy (Sico) bed. There are two bathrooms. Junior suites have an occupancy of 4 or 6 people and cost more than 2 standard rooms.
  • There are also about 10 “VIP” one-bedroom suites. These are equivalent in space to 3 standard rooms knocked together. There is a standard bedroom with one king bed or two double beds, plus a full bath. The living room is equivalent in size to two standard rooms and includes two seating areas, a wet bar with small refrigerator, a full bathroom and a dining table for four people. It has either a sleeper sofa or a Murphy (Sico) bed, bringing the occupancy to 4 or 6 people. The VIP suites are set up primarily for entertaining and are generally used by senior managers staying at the resort for conventions. VIP suites are priced at more than 4 times the cost of a standard room.
  • Finally, there are a few “Executive” two-bedroom suites. These are equivalent in space to 5 standard rooms knocked together. The first bedroom has a king bed plus a full bath with whirlpool tub. The second bedroom has two double beds plus a full bath. The large living room offers two seating areas, a half-bath, a free-standing wet bar with small refrigerator and a dining table for six people. The living room includes either a sleeper sofa or a Murphy (Sico) bed, bringing the occupancy to 6 people.The Executive suites are set up primarily for entertaining and are generally used by executives staying at the resort for conventions. Executive suites are priced at more than 6 times the cost of a standard room.

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-caribbean-beach-resort/news/24feb2017-details-emerge-on-operational-impacts-during-caribbean-beach-resort-renovations.htm

Work is expected to last for two years, with Martinique and Barbados islands to become unavailable from May 2017.

Old Port Royale Food Court, Shutters at Old Port Royale and Banana Cabana Pool Bar will be closed during some of the refurbishment, beginning May 2017.

Temporary dining options will include:

• A Caribbean-style buffet for breakfast and a la carte offerings for dinner.
  • A selection of grab-and-go meals available for purchase throughout the day in three island markets in the Aruba, Jamaica and Martinique regions of the resort.
  • In-room pizza delivery will remain available. The menu includes pizza, sandwiches and pasta.
  • Coca-Cola Freestyle machines will be available throughout the resort for Guests to refill their resort mugs.
  • A new quick service location will open near Trinidad island this summer, featuring a walk-up quick service window as well as Guest services assistance in the evenings.

The main Fuentes del Morro Pool and the resort's leisure pools will continue to remain available.

Disney is providing guests with a $25 Disney Gift Card per room for each night of a stay at check-in.

Disney has indicated that the Caribbean Beach Resort will be reimagined with new additions to the resort’s current marketplace, Centertown, including new waterfront dining and retail shopping areas. This centralized location will offer the resort’s guests more convenient access to services, amenities and dining.

4 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Two years?

No thanks.

That $25 gift card in no way makes it worth going to a torn up resort.

TCD

Agree. $25. That's it?

they would have to really discount that resort if they wanted me to stay there. 

Maybe if it was the same price as a value or less. 

I posted a picture of the plan in this thread:

But not WDWnt has a post about this rumor.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/03/rumor-10-story-tower-waterfront-dining-changes-coming-disneys-caribbean-beach-resort/

I personally think its true, you can see a building footprint that looks like a tower in the plan I posted.  And all of the other things he mentions make sense with what's on the demo plans.

WBI

10 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

I posted a picture of the plan in this thread:

But not WDWnt has a post about this rumor.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/03/rumor-10-story-tower-waterfront-dining-changes-coming-disneys-caribbean-beach-resort/

I personally think its true, you can see a building footprint that looks like a tower in the plan I posted.  And all of the other things he mentions make sense with what's on the demo plans.

WBI

Thanks for the link.

You already noticed the footprint for the tower at Caribbean Beach.

The WDWNT guy says guests at Caribbean Beach are getting a $75 gift card.  That has to be a typo.

TCD

8 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The WDWNT guy says guests at Caribbean Beach are getting a $75 gift card.  That has to be a typo.

TCD

That's not a typo, it's on Disney's site under the construction details:

CB75.jpg

For some reason they are choosing to give you $75 per night instead of discounting the rooms.

WBI

10 minutes ago, WannaBeImagineer said:

That's not a typo, it's on Disney's site under the construction details:

For some reason they are choosing to give you $75 per night instead of discounting the rooms.

WBI

9 minutes ago, Beckers said:

$75 a night 

chip doesn't have  a pic of the letter but they have included what's said in the letter.

http://www.chipandco.com/disney-sweetens-compensation-plan-offered-caribbean-beach-resort-guests-261219/

OK.

Just upthread, Jason quoted WDWMAGIC, and they were saying it was only $25 a night.

$75 a night is a lot more like it.

But, I'd still rather stay somewhere else.  And that was even before the construction!

TCD