Suggestions for Campground in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and Macon, GA Areas

Hi!  We are driving from Indianapolis to FW in October.  We were wanting to spread out our trip so that we can take our time getting down to FL and also to break up the trip for the kids.  Since we will have the camper, we thought it would be fun to do an overnight in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area.  We have not been there before, but I was wondering if there were any suggestions on the best places to stay.  We will only be there for one night, but may go again on a future visit for a longer period of time.  Our second stop will most probably be right past Atlanta in the Macon, GA area.  If anyone has any experience or suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.  It will also just be a quick trip to that area as we want to get down to FW and enjoy our time exploring there as soon as we can.  Thank you!

I'm not sure an overnight in PF/Gburg area makes sense on a drive from Indianapolis to FL.  It's pretty far off the path, and the traffic can be unbearable in and out of Pigeon Forge.  I think it would take too much driving time for an overnight and add a lot of stress for a young family....I'd look for an overnight spot closer to your direct route.  But definitely plan a trip to the Smokies at some point!  

1 hour ago, DaveInTN said:

I'm not sure an overnight in PF/Gburg area makes sense on a drive from Indianapolis to FL.  It's pretty far off the path, and the traffic can be unbearable in and out of Pigeon Forge.  I think it would take too much driving time for an overnight and add a lot of stress for a young family....I'd look for an overnight spot closer to your direct route.  But definitely plan a trip to the Smokies at some point!  

First of all Welcome!

I agree with Dave, any campground that you would want to consider for a future visit would be so far off the route.....I assume you would be coming south on I75 which makes the detour over to the PF/Gburg exit that much more out of your way. Definitely worth a visit to the Smokies for camping in the future, just not practical for an overnight visit. 

2 hours ago, DaveInTN said:

Just curious. You know I've never been to pigeon forge. But are saying it's not worth the detour because of the traffic in pigeon forge?   Or is the traffic bad from Knoxville to pigeon forge?

Knoxville doesn't seem that far from I-75. 

36 minutes ago, keith_h said:

Pigeon Forge is about a 45-60 minute drive from Knoxville. Heavy traffic can make it even longer. If you don't want to backtrack to Knoxville it is a another long drive  to pickup I-75 again heading south.

45-60 minutes to drive 30 miles.  Is heavy traffic for me. Lol.   What's the traffic like once you get there?

• 2 months later...

We stay at a place called "Smoky Bear" campground, just outside of Gatlinburg. It's close enough to all the tourist traps, but far enough out that you still get the feel of the smokies.  On the plus side for your situation,  you can stay on I-40 and go around g-burg/PF.  The campground is actually in a little town called Cosby.  Might not make it any less out of the way, but might not have to fight as much traffic. 

We stay at a place called "Smoky Bear" campground, just outside of Gatlinburg. It's close enough to all the tourist traps, but far enough out that you still get the feel of the smokies.  On the plus side for your situation,  you can stay on I-40 and go around g-burg/PF.  The campground is actually in a little town called Cosby.  Might not make it any less out of the way, but might not have to fight as much traffic. 

Smoky Bear is where we camp if we take the camper to Gatlinburg. Granted it has been awhile since we have actually done that. Lately our trips have been short and we just get a place right in Gatlinburg where we can park the car and walk to all the places we want. Not returning to the car until it is time to go home.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk