Expansion of Coronado Springs for Conventions

Major expansion of Coronado Springs is slated including a 15 story tower.  Here are the details.

http://www.chipandco.com/disney-expand-coronado-springs-improve-wifi-services-conventioneers-260293/

Conventioneers

Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort, a Walt Disney World Moderate Resort and Convention Center is already one of the most sprawling properties on Disney property.  However, Disney announced this week plans to expand the resort even further adding an additional 500 guest rooms via a new 15-story tower that is currently under construction.

In addition to the guest rooms, this new building will also include rooftop dining and a lounge boasting panoramic and nighttime fireworks viewing. Coronado Springs will also add two meeting rooms and a boardroom to the property.

This isn’t all business travelers have to be excited about. Over at Disney’s Yacht and Beach Resort, there will be renovations designed to increase the spaces that can be used for meetings and conventions.  Included in this expansion will be a 16,000 sq. ft. ballroom as well as special spaces where business travelers can network, hold small functions or just relax and unwind.

In an upgrade effecting several properties including: Boardwalk Inn, Contemporary Resort, Coronado Springs, Grand Floridian Resort and Spa and Yacht and Beach Club, new WiFi and hard wired services will make it easier for bandwith in these meeting spaces to accommodate nearly 5,000 attendees on multiple devices. These new enhanced services will be available throughout ballrooms, exhibition halls, and foyer areas.  There will be little or no charge for these services which will be offered to conventioneers in addition to the complimentary WiFi currently available in guest rooms throughout these properties.

article credit:  chipandco.com

photo credit: disney.com

They aren't wasting any time with this.

Josh at EasyWDW posted an update on his blog showing that construction fences are up, and building demolition has started: http://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/coronado-springs-resort-building-demolition-begins-with-las-ventanas-lunch-review/

If I am understanding his photos and post correctly, the location of the new tower is not where I thought it was going to be.  I thought it would be on some vacant land around the lake, not right near the resort entrance.  That location makes more sense though- giving guests easier access to the convention rooms and the bars and restaurants.

TCD

21 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

They aren't wasting any time with this.

Josh at EasyWDW posted an update on his blog showing that construction fences are up, and building demolition has started: http://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/coronado-springs-resort-building-demolition-begins-with-las-ventanas-lunch-review/

If I am understanding his photos and post correctly, the location of the new tower is not where I thought it was going to be.  I thought it would be on some vacant land around the lake, not right near the resort entrance.  That location makes more sense though- giving guests easier access to the convention rooms and the bars and restaurants.

TCD

I sure hope that Coronado is upgraded like they are promising (as far as rooms and wifi).  I have stayed there for a convention and I was sad to say I have never returned after that.  Although I could have hit it on a bad day, who knows?