Just got back from a visit to this state park; we really enjoyed ourselves.  The park itself has two sections:  the side we stayed at is closer to the beach and is all out in the open...the other side (you have to drive from one section to the other) has a lot of foliage.  Where we stayed, there was only 20-22 sites; all were nice sized and included a picnic table and fire pit. We were in site #2.  I would say we saw more large rigs on this (the open) side compared to the other side. I think it might be easier to pull in, without the bushes.  There was a large bathhouse in the middle of our loop and it was very clean.  Water pressure was a little low, but the water was nice and hot.  It's an easy walk to the beach.  The Fort itself is inside the park and there is an additional $2/person fee to walk around it.  Very cool and definitely worth the two bucks.  They have a small food stand where you can buy lunch or you can bring your own and eat at their tables.  A nice playground is within walking distance from the entrance of The Fort (they share a small parking lot).  There are a lot of hiking/biking trails; there is also a fishing pier however that is currently closed (storm damage).

The camping sites have water/electric.  No sewer or cable.  There is one dump station on property...lucky for us, it was on the way out of our loop.   Bathhouse has one washer and dryer. Oh...and one nice thing they had, was a family bathroom with a toilet, sink and shower.  Thought it was great if you're a dad who needs to shower off your daughter or a family with lots of kiddos. 

Ameila Island itself is very cute; the downtown area is fun to walk around.  Our friends toured the museum in town and really enjoyed it.  The campground is definitely worth a trip, if you get the chance however...I believe this state park books up quickly. so look early.

Site #2.   Our camper is almost 32' total length. 

FullSizeRender%205_zpspyvvnflv.jpg

The last palm tree down by the van...you'll see a "sidewalk".  That's the boardwalk out to the beach.  From our site, to the beach, maybe a 5 minute walk. 

IMG_3303_zpstsr58w5q.jpg

Directly across the street from our site... then again, it was across the street from every site as it's in the middle of a small loop :lol:

IMG_3305_zpsorcmtp97.jpg

IMG_3403_zpsx46h2l9x.jpg

This section had two roads to it...one was sand and the other was paved.

IMG_3400_zpsuj08pij8.jpg

IMG_3382_zpstogcc739.jpg

IMG_3319_zpszih7crgn.jpg

This is our very favorite campground - other than the Fort, of course. 

We have 5 or 6 standing reservations at any given time, in the river loop. We like the wooded better than the beach sites. I should mention that it's difficult to get reservations here at all, which is why we make a lot of them. Sometimes we cancel, but worth it to have them in standing just in case. If you do this, PLEASE cancel so others may use the sites, even though you don't get back much money. 

The downtown area is just a few minutes drive from the park. Love going there as well. Take the boat tour, it's super interesting and fun. You get as close to the Naval base as allowed, and get some great looks at Cumberland Island. We got close enough to take pictures of mama and baby wild horses. 

In warmer months, they have candlelight tours of the fort and they great spooky fun! 

• 1 month later...

We are spending the first week of June here. I was just able to get those reservations last week. It's a tent site, on the river (not those horrid beach ones) but our pop-up will fit and they allow it. I was surprised to get reservations on such short notice, someone must have canceled. 

We don't have as many reservations this year as years past due to the three surgeries, and multiple pre-surgical procedures that I have to have this year. We've been kind of planning as we go on the doctors' schedules.