Central Illinois to the fort.

My wife and I are starting to plan a trip to Fort Wilderness some time next year with our 1 year old daughter. I'm already starting to plan the route down. I was wondering if anyone can give me some info. On the drive down we are pulling our 35' fifthwheel and we want to stay at a full hookup campground. How far can we make it driving the first day? Do we try and make it past Atlanta? What everyone's itinerary on the way down?

1 hour ago, mouseketab.....Carol said:

How far is Atlanta from your starting point?

Just south of Atlanta is the Forsyth KOA. Easy pullthroughs and nice folks.

Just inside Georgia on I-75 is the Holiday Travel Park of Chattanooga. Nice level pullthroughs. Easy in and out.

Atlanta is 9.5 hours from our home. From what I read on here you need to hit Atlanta at the right times. Is there a lot of interstate  exchanges? Why is driving through Atlanta so bad?

Atlanta is just 7 lanes of interstate each way with LOTS of traffic. You need to go through Atlanta between 9:30 am and 11am, or between 2 and 4 pm, or any time after 6:30 pm

If you base the time on normal travel speeds, then add a couple of hours with the trailer

9 hours ago, Bwithers13 said:

Atlanta is 9.5 hours from our home. From what I read on here you need to hit Atlanta at the right times. Is there a lot of interstate  exchanges? Why is driving through Atlanta so bad?

We live in Atlanta, so we deal with the traffic daily.  The biggest problem with the traffic in Atlanta, is that drivers are not courteous and (often times) go much too fast on the interstates.  If you drive through Atlanta during rush hour, what I would suggest is driving down the middle lane and let others go around you (stay out of the far right lane as people exit/enter the interstates frequently).  If there is an inch of between you and the car in front of you, chances are...someone will try and squeeze in so just make sure you are very patient and not in a hurry to get through it.  If you keep that in mind, you'll do great ^_^

There is also a former KOA at exit 350 just S of Chattanooga. http://www.battlefieldrvpark.com

It is right at the exit.

You can also legally use the HOV lane through Atlanta on I-75. Just watch the signs carefully since there are a couple left exits and a merge with I-85.

32 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

There is also a former KOA at exit 350 just S of Chattanooga. http://www.battlefieldrvpark.com

It is right at the exit.

You can also legally use the HOV lane through Atlanta on I-75. Just watch the signs carefully since there are a couple left exits and a merge with I-85.

HOV, but not the new express lanes (south of the city on 75)... so make sure to pick up a peachpass or sunpass (both will work in GA and FL).