Hi! I'm new. Kind of. Been to WDW about 5 years ago with daughter #1. Stayed at the lodge (pre camper days). Daughter #2 is now getting old enough to enjoy it (4 next week), so we're coming back with our new love of camping. 

My plan is to arrive bright n early and get into one of the parks, let the kids burn off some energy, then head over to the campground about 4:30 pm. Set down the camper (TC), set up the fly, get some dinner going while we get settled. We're reserved in a "preferred" loop, which I think means 100 or 200 loop. Also, planning on grocery shopping in town that first evening after the ladies all get settled in site. 

Campsite will consist of unloaded Truck camper, screened fly over the picnic table (next to camper?), and a family sized tent to act as the "play room" for the kids toys, etc at the rear. I'll likely leave the truck out in the lot after I go shopping the first night, just so we won't feel crowded. 

Any holes in my theory or pointers?

Thanks!

-R

Welcome......I think at the 100 loop (my personal favorite ) the sites are deep enough,  and the front lot is far enough to not drop your truck off. I think you will have a great time by the planning you are doing. I suggest going grocery shopping at a publix down 192 towards four corners because the walmart on Apopka is a sideshow at times. I'd bring a good shoe scraping type floor mat if the kids will be playing on the coquina as it will be everywhere in the TC. Otherwise have a great time. 

When you heading down?

Headed down for last week of the month.  And THANKS for the pointer on the shopping, I meant to ask that above.  Will look into the floormat, as the one I was all happy to get from Amazon the other day is pretty much just a huge mousepad.  Major disappointment.

-R

11 hours ago, PGHFiend said:

I suggest going grocery shopping at a publix down 192 towards four corners because the walmart on Apopka is a sideshow at times.

The best PUBLIX  is on 535 towards Windemere. 

Left out of the FORT on Vista, take it till it dead ends at 535 turn left and PUBLIX is about 3 miles up on the left.  No traffic and only 4 lights counting the ones on Vista. 

And yes you can drive past the WDW maintenance buildings. 

1 hour ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

I agree with Grumpy, that is the easiest Publix to get to, less traffic.  You do need to make a U-turn at the intersection  just past the Mickey D's, which is also on the left.

Oh yes and WELCOMe

I turn at the light before Publix, you can see the store and come in on the back side. It is also easier to leave that way too.

Welcome!

Critiquing your plan, I think you may be planning too much for that first day.  Going to a park bright and early and then heading back to the Fort to check-in and set up at 4:30 makes for a long day for you.  I know that it's not fun setting up the camper when you have tired kids breathing down your neck waiting for the camper to be set up and for dinner to be cooked.

Maybe leave the wife and kids in the park, and come back an hour or so early so you can get things set up and squared away in peace?   Maybe head back earlier, and everyone can go to the pool while you are setting up?  Also, maybe consider getting a take-out pizza or fried chicken meal for dinner that first night rather than planning to cook.

TCD

2 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Welcome!

Critiquing your plan, I think you may be planning too much for that first day.  Going to a park bright and early and then heading back to the Fort to check-in and set up at 4:30 makes for a long day for you.  I know that it's not fun setting up the camper when you have tired kids breathing down your neck waiting for the camper to be set up and for dinner to be cooked.

Maybe leave the wife and kids in the park, and come back an hour or so early so you can get things set up and squared away in peace?   Maybe head back earlier, and everyone can go to the pool while you are setting up?  Also, maybe consider getting a take-out pizza or fried chicken meal for dinner that first night rather than planning to cook.

TCD

How could I have been so senseless to overlook the GAG meal. 

Nice save.

23 hours ago, BigTom said:

I turn at the light before Publix, you can see the store and come in on the back side. It is also easier to leave that way too.

Yep Big Tom, that is another way to get there and out. 

I recommend the fried chicken tenders at Publix, their fried chicken is pretty good too.  I know, I know, get the GAG, but if you are gong to Publix anyway and want chicken for dinner.....

5 minutes ago, fladogfan aka Gretchen said:

Yep Big Tom, that is another way to get there and out. 

I recommend the fried chicken tenders at Publix, their fried chicken is pretty good too.  I know, I know, get the GAG, but if you are gong to Publix anyway and want chicken for dinner.....

I like Publix fried chicken too, but I wouldn't recommend trying to go to a park, set up camp, and then do a grocery run all on the first day at the Fort.

No way.

Get that GAG, and relax.  Then go to Publix later.

TCD

22 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I like Publix fried chicken too, but I wouldn't recommend trying to go to a park, set up camp, and then do a grocery run all on the first day at the Fort.

No way.

Get that GAG, and relax.  Then go to Publix later.

TCD

Oh heavens no TCD.  I only meant if you are already on a Publix trip it's easy to pick up a meal or snack.

Welcome!!

I agree with the Publix on 535. That's the one we go to, much easier I think then the one on 192.  

I also agree with TCD that it sounds like a long day. You could try to check-in in the morning before going to the park. If they have a spot available they will usually let you have it or will text you your site number when it's ready. That way after the park you can go right to your site without having to deal with check-in, or if there is one open in the morning go ahead and park the truck at it and possibly even drop the camper. Use Disney transportation to get to the park. That way you can have the AC running and everything in the camper ready to go when you get back, then tackle the tents. 

I saw somewhere else that the check in time at the campsites is not the 15:00 that they have on the website.  We will be "checking in" on arrival at about 0900 just to get magic bands activated and free parking at one of the parks.  If they'd let me pull in then I'd be thrilled, but the texting sounds like a great option too.  We also decided it was looking a little frantic, so we got reservations at the Trails End for Sunday night.  The laziness is creeping in already... ;)  I wouldn't mind breaking away to set up, but I'm also training the ladies on tent and dining fly setup.  Hoping that will keep them busy long enough for me and my trusty power drill to throw down the jacks.  

How late are the Publix and Winn Dixie open?

-R

7 hours ago, Rench said:

I saw somewhere else that the check in time at the campsites is not the 15:00 that they have on the website.  We will be "checking in" on arrival at about 0900 just to get magic bands activated and free parking at one of the parks.  If they'd let me pull in then I'd be thrilled, but the texting sounds like a great option too.  We also decided it was looking a little frantic, so we got reservations at the Trails End for Sunday night.  The laziness is creeping in already... ;)  I wouldn't mind breaking away to set up, but I'm also training the ladies on tent and dining fly setup.  Hoping that will keep them busy long enough for me and my trusty power drill to throw down the jacks.  

-R

Publix probably 9, Winn Dixie 9 or 10.

10 hours ago, Rench said:

-R

Hey, it's your trip, and you can plan to do what you want, but I think you're overthinking this all.

For Trail's End, have you checked the prices?  It's a buffet with fixed prices, and a common complaint I've heard is how much they charge for a kid (and they charge for anyone sitting at your table over the age of 3).  It's the same whether the kid eats two French fries and some ice cream, or several plates of food.  That's why I suggested the take out, it's way cheaper, and you can go when you're ready, and bring the food back to your site and have a relaxing meal.  The problem with a reservation, is you need to go then, or get charged 10 bucks a head for missing it, and you may not be ready to go when it's time to go.  Plus if Sunday night is your arrival night, you and the family might be so worn out that you won't even enjoy Trail's End.

I think it's great if you want to teach your kids to help with setting up camp.  But, if that's the plan, then don't take them to a park all day, and expect thing to go well when you're all tired and wanting to get camp set up.  Maybe skip the parks the first day, and focus on an easy day exploring the Fort and getting the site set up.  You could even make your grocery run that afternoon, and then you won't have to worry about going out at night, and you will be ready to hit the ground running on your first full day.

Keep it simple.

Go with the flow.

Both the Winn Dixie and Publix have their hours on line.

WD is open until midnight every night:

https://www.winndixie.com/StoreDetails?search=2215

Publix closes at 10:

https://www.google.com/#q=publix+windermere+hours&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=28468539,-81547163,4337&tbm=lcl&rldimm=3634552718452623549&tbs=lf_od:-1,lf_oh:-1,lf_pqs:EAE,lf:1,lf_ui:4&*&loh=true

TCD

I am all about planning and am often accused of planning too much into a day.  But even to me, this seems way too much.  I would drive to Orlando, go to Publix on the way to the Fort to get those fwe last supplies, then go to the Fort and set-up.  Sp[end the rest of the day enjoying the Fort!  Get a GAG for dinner, take the kids to the pool or the Sing Along with Chip and Dale.  Then hit a park early the next day and have some great fun.  

Hitting a park early and riding several rides with little to no wait is fun, but it can be tiring.  Doing that and then coming back to the camp to relax is great.  Trying to set up at that point would be miserable, in my experience.  Nothing goes well when you are already tired.

Just my 2 cents!!

Thinking this over again- I just realized that we don't know how long of a drive you have before arriving at the Fort, and how long you're staying.  I assumed that you are coming from a distance, as you're not bringing groceries with you, or maybe you're staying for a long time and you need to stock up.

If you are arriving after a long drive, that's another reason not to plan too much for the first day.  And, if you're staying for a week, there's no need to rush that first day. 

Also, I'm not sure that 9 am arrival (which is not "bright and early"), and then hitting a park is going to be a good plan, depending on the park and whether or not you have FP+ reservations for it.  The last week of March is a busy time, and you will be missing the golden opening hour or two of whatever park you're going to, and arriving right when wait times for attractions will start getting long.

TCD