The Ultimate Mickey Lamp Post. AKA "the glow fiber silhouette lamp"

So last year while camping at the Fort, I was sitting at the site looking out at our Mickey Lamp that I had made back in 2013. It has a umbrella stand it sits on and LED lights that wrap around it. The LED's do not last very long due to the rain so we have to change them out about once a year. So as I am sitting there I had an idea, "put the lights in the post" so they never get wet and you don't have that loose wire wrapped around the post getting broken during transport. After brain storming and searching the internet I came to the conclusion that LED's in the post would not work and would be very expensive ( I will get back to expensive later ) and be exposed somehow to the elements. So the idea of using fiber optics (glow fiber) came to mind. Once a search was done on glow fibers and the lights that drive them I found a ton of items on E bay that would work for this project. I put my orders in and went shopping locally to get the basic's for the lamp. Once it was it was all complete, 4 month total build time in my spare time of course, total material cost puts it at just under $1,000. When you spend the course of 4 months making this thing and buying items here and there you don't think about total cost until your wife starts adding it all up. Woof! So here we have the most expensive and one of a kind Mickey Lamp Post. Soon to have another, all silhouettes are Beauty and the Beast theme. Here is a Video I took of the lamp. https://youtu.be/bzePfa1gJfU

20170204_183109.jpg

IMG_20160920_163322 - Copy.jpg

IMG_20161013_192515 - Copy.jpg

20170205_124957.jpg

Thank you everyone! AuburnJen, no mickey lamp is inadequate especially if you built it yourself. Just like how I feel about this lamp, It is a sight to see and I love watching it, the twinkling figures and changing colors are mesmerizing to say the least.

Here are some details of the lamp.

Over a Mile of .75mm glow fiber make up the post figures and bow tie.

Estimated 1,500 holes drilled into the post for the glow fibers. I lost count after 800. The holes in Tinks wings are so close together you cant keep track of which holes you counted.

The bow tie is made of clear lexan, and has two light engines illuminating it.

The figures are illuminated by using 4 larger light engines.

The planter pot is equipped with a cooling fan to keep the light engines cool in the summer time.   

Total wattage draw is less that 50watts due to using all LED lights. 

At Night the LED engines have to be turned down due to them blinding Loopers as they drive by. LOL!

The lamp is waterproof. 

And due to the size of the planter pot and the weight of modifications to it, it is heavy enough that no extra weight is needed. Total combined weight is 65 lbs. 

2 hours ago, articfox676 said:

Please let us know when you will be at the fort. Looking forward to seeing the ultimate Mickey light 

We have a trip planned for late July running into the first week of August. Almost a full week booked. The wife cant wait. She keeps trying to find a weekend open, just don't feel like paying $140 a night for a site.