Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So, our new rig has 50 amp service; our TT had 30 amp.  We have a 30 amp surge protector that I was going to keep in case we ran into a situation where the 50 amp outlet was not working, but Tom had a good question:

-Could we use an adapter (50 amp down to 30 amp) at the pedestal, then plug the RV power cord into the 50 amp surge protector.  We understand that we would still be limited to 30 amp service however, could we do this and (therefore) only carry around one surge protector?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is what I used to do but I am not saying that is correct, never had a issue and a friend who is a electrician said it would be fine, plus you have the energy issue under control knowing you can only be limited to 30amp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, dblr....Rennie said:

That is what I used to do but I am not saying that is correct, never had a issue and a friend who is a electrician said it would be fine, plus you have the energy issue under control knowing you can only be limited to 30amp

Thanks.  The more we thought about it (and spent time on google 😄), the more we figured it would probably be okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next question.  Spend money on the more expensive or not?  Last time around, we went with one that cost us close to $300 and it seemed to work well.  This time, the two that we're considering on Amazon, the cheaper one has more reviews (probably because it cost less...haha), but if we can save money...we'd rather.  However, we also want something that's going to do the job.

Here are the two we are looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/Technology-Research-44270-Surge-Protector/dp/B00IACGFOA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489356068&sr=8-1&keywords=50+amp+surge+protector+for+rv

OR

https://www.amazon.com/Technology-Research-34850-Portable-Surge/dp/B00T36QHUO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1489356419&sr=8-6&keywords=50+amp+surge+protector+for+rv

Thoughts??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Next question.  Spend money on the more expensive or not?  Last time around, we went with one that cost us close to $300 and it seemed to work well.  This time, the two that we're considering on Amazon, the cheaper one has more reviews (probably because it cost less...haha), but if we can save money...we'd rather.  However, we also want something that's going to do the job.

Here are the two we are looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/Technology-Research-44270-Surge-Protector/dp/B00IACGFOA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489356068&sr=8-1&keywords=50+amp+surge+protector+for+rv

OR

https://www.amazon.com/Technology-Research-34850-Portable-Surge/dp/B00T36QHUO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1489356419&sr=8-6&keywords=50+amp+surge+protector+for+rv

Thoughts??

Thought you were going to use your current 30 amp one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm an electrician for the University of Illinois. I'd say aslong as your plugged into a 30 amp service and you know what you can run to stay under 30 amps you should be fine! If it were me I'd do it. Those things are expensive! If you do over amp the only thing that could happen is you could trip/fry your surge protector and trip the breaker! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Thought you were going to use your current 30 amp one?

No, no.  I want the 50 amps.  My question was if there was no 50 amp service at the pedestal, could we plug in the adapter (30 amp male to 50 amp female) and then plug the new 50 amp surge protector into the adapter and then the RV power cord into the surge protector.

I will still get a new 50 amp surge protector...but I may call the dealership and see how much they'd charge to hardwire one in.  That way I don't have to plug/unplug it and the prices on Amazon seem to be a smidge cheaper for the ones that you hardwire, so it might be about the same or just a little more.  This also would keep it out of the elements.

 

22 minutes ago, Bwithers13 said:

I'm an electrician for the University of Illinois. I'd say aslong as your plugged into a 30 amp service and you know what you can run to stay under 30 amps you should be fine! If it were me I'd do it. Those things are expensive! If you do over amp the only thing that could happen is you could trip/fry your surge protector and trip the breaker! 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Next question.  Spend money on the more expensive or not?  Last time around, we went with one that cost us close to $300 and it seemed to work well.  This time, the two that we're considering on Amazon, the cheaper one has more reviews (probably because it cost less...haha), but if we can save money...we'd rather.  However, we also want something that's going to do the job.

Here are the two we are looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/Technology-Research-44270-Surge-Protector/dp/B00IACGFOA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489356068&sr=8-1&keywords=50+amp+surge+protector+for+rv

OR

https://www.amazon.com/Technology-Research-34850-Portable-Surge/dp/B00T36QHUO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1489356419&sr=8-6&keywords=50+amp+surge+protector+for+rv

Thoughts??

 
When we went from our 30amp MH to our current 50amp I had the same questions. I ended up getting the Camco one this time around and here is how Camco describes the difference between their two Surge Protectors and why one is so much more expensive than the other:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Answer:
 
The Power Defender Voltage Protector provides three functions. It monitors the voltage level of the power source and will disconnect power to the RV if there is an unsafe high or low voltage and automatically reconnects power once the voltage has maintained a safe operating range for two minutes. It indicates if the power source has correct or faulty wiring through a series of diagnostic LEDs. It provides surge protection to help prevent damage to the RV and electronics when a power surge or spike occurs. Here is a link to the voltage protector https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55301-Defender-Protector-PowerGrip/dp/B00JFWKM2K/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1470053387&sr=1-3&keywords=camco+circuit+analyzer
The Circuit Analyzer provides two functions. It indicates if the power source has correct or faulty wiring through a series of diagnostic LEDs. It provides surge protection to help prevent damage to the RV and electronics when a power surge or spike occurs. It does not monitor the voltage level of the power source or disconnect the power to the RV. see less 

By Camco MANUFACTURER  on April 28, 2016
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nacole,

I must be slackin. Dodnt know you actually bought a new rig. Knew you were looking. I wont provide any feedback on the bending of 30 to 50. However I will tell you that the hardwired option is much easier and provides security over the unit getting stolen. I have a progressive hw30c in my unit and love it. Dont have to mess with the cord and an adapter when using the ped. It makes life much easier. The remote module with display is eye opening. Cant tell you how many times that i glanced over to see we were operating under 120v. Sometimes as low as 108v and once 107v and it shut the power down. As i am sure tou know those little boxes are life savers in an emergency situation. I would stay away from the cheaper model if you do go that route. They are generally rated to take small hits but a larger one could still spell trouble. Just my .02.

Congrats on the new rig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own the 30A equivalent of this one you posted and it has worked well. I would not go with the less expensive one as it doesn't cover as many fault conditions.

https://www.amazon.com/Technology-Research-34850-Portable-Surge/dp/B00T36QHUO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1489356419&sr=8-6&keywords=50+amp+surge+protector+for+rv

I would recommend this one over the Technology Research. While it has the fault coverage as the Technology Research it has a lifetime warranty. So if it ever needs to be replaced due to a power hit it is free. The TR surge protector is only a year as I recall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:
 
When we went from our 30amp MH to our current 50amp I had the same questions. I ended up getting the Camco one this time around and here is how Camco describes the difference between their two Surge Protectors and why one is so much more expensive than the other:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Answer:
 
The Power Defender Voltage Protector provides three functions. It monitors the voltage level of the power source and will disconnect power to the RV if there is an unsafe high or low voltage and automatically reconnects power once the voltage has maintained a safe operating range for two minutes. It indicates if the power source has correct or faulty wiring through a series of diagnostic LEDs. It provides surge protection to help prevent damage to the RV and electronics when a power surge or spike occurs. Here is a link to the voltage protector https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55301-Defender-Protector-PowerGrip/dp/B00JFWKM2K/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1470053387&sr=1-3&keywords=camco+circuit+analyzer
The Circuit Analyzer provides two functions. It indicates if the power source has correct or faulty wiring through a series of diagnostic LEDs. It provides surge protection to help prevent damage to the RV and electronics when a power surge or spike occurs. It does not monitor the voltage level of the power source or disconnect the power to the RV. see less 

By Camco MANUFACTURER  on April 28, 2016
 
 

Thank you!

 

12 hours ago, rtguy007 said:

Nacole,

I must be slackin. Dodnt know you actually bought a new rig. Knew you were looking. I wont provide any feedback on the bending of 30 to 50. However I will tell you that the hardwired option is much easier and provides security over the unit getting stolen. I have a progressive hw30c in my unit and love it. Dont have to mess with the cord and an adapter when using the ped. It makes life much easier. The remote module with display is eye opening. Cant tell you how many times that i glanced over to see we were operating under 120v. Sometimes as low as 108v and once 107v and it shut the power down. As i am sure tou know those little boxes are life savers in an emergency situation. I would stay away from the cheaper model if you do go that route. They are generally rated to take small hits but a larger one could still spell trouble. Just my .02.

Congrats on the new rig.

Thanks :)   Yes... waiting to see how expensive it would be to hardwire one.  You know how it goes, an extra $200 here...an extra $200 there :blink:

 

11 hours ago, keith_h said:

I own the 30A equivalent of this one you posted and it has worked well. I would not go with the less expensive one as it doesn't cover as many fault conditions.

https://www.amazon.com/Technology-Research-34850-Portable-Surge/dp/B00T36QHUO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1489356419&sr=8-6&keywords=50+amp+surge+protector+for+rv

I would recommend this one over the Technology Research. While it has the fault coverage as the Technology Research it has a lifetime warranty. So if it ever needs to be replaced due to a power hit it is free. The TR surge protector is only a year as I recall.

Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just noticed my other link to the Progressive Industries surge protector was missing. This is the one with the lifetime warranty and I would recommend. Let's try this again:

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-EMS-PT50C-Portable-Protector/dp/B002UC4SWM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489500947&sr=8-2&keywords=50+amp+surge+protector+for+rv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, keith_h said:

I just noticed my other link to the Progressive Industries surge protector was missing. This is the one with the lifetime warranty and I would recommend. Let's try this again:

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Industries-EMS-PT50C-Portable-Protector/dp/B002UC4SWM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489500947&sr=8-2&keywords=50+amp+surge+protector+for+rv

Yes, I've read several good things on Progressive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Yes, I've read several good things on Progressive...

I second the progressive. We use the same one and i wouldnt trust any other brand. They warranty is fantstic. It doesnt take much to install a hardwired one. I have done 2 of them. If you onow how to wire an outlet in a house you can install one of these. It takes about 5-10 minutes to wire in and maybe another 5-10 to mount it. Seriously this is a very easy self install if you are comfortable doing it. The beat part is everything is color coded so it is kind of hard to screw it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rtguy007 said:

I second the progressive. We use the same one and i wouldnt trust any other brand. They warranty is fantstic. It doesnt take much to install a hardwired one. I have done 2 of them. If you onow how to wire an outlet in a house you can install one of these. It takes about 5-10 minutes to wire in and maybe another 5-10 to mount it. Seriously this is a very easy self install if you are comfortable doing it. The beat part is everything is color coded so it is kind of hard to screw it up.

Thank you.  I didn't realize it was that easy.  I can do that!  Plus.. I bet there's a youtube video of it as well, haha :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×