I'm going to start a Go Fund Me page so I can spend a week at the Fort in one of these.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by ceemike...Mike & Judy

I obviously don't know how to insert a link using Tapatalk. Sorry about that. 

Never mind, I fixed it using my laptop.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edited by ceemike...Mike & Judy

It's all relative. 

I've been trying to talk my DW into buying an RV for years. But no matter how I do the math it is more economical to stay at a hotel/ resort than its is to buy an RV. 

It's a lifestyle. It's how you want to spend your leisure time. And some people have the means to spend it on a $1,000,000+ RV. I just wish I was one of those people. 

2 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

It's all relative. 

I've been trying to talk my DW into buying an RV for years. But no matter how I do the math it is more economical to stay at a hotel/ resort than its is to buy an RV. 

It's a lifestyle. It's how you want to spend your leisure time. And some people have the means to spend it on a $1,000,000+ RV. I just wish I was one of those people. 

The "value" of an RV isn't the saving on the lodging.   Its the savings on food, lodging, entertainment, and such.  You cant justify it by saying I'll save money.  My family justify it by saying we are building lasting memories with our family.

We spend 40-60 nights a year in our camper.  For a family of three its going to be about $400 a day for room, and food.  If we did that 50 nights a year we would be spending $20,000 a year.  We could pay for our camper in 3 years...

3 hours ago, bdm said:

The "value" of an RV isn't the saving on the lodging.   Its the savings on food, lodging, entertainment, and such.  You cant justify it by saying I'll save money.  My family justify it by saying we are building lasting memories with our family.

We spend 40-60 nights a year in our camper.  For a family of three its going to be about $400 a day for room, and food.  If we did that 50 nights a year we would be spending $20,000 a year.  We could pay for our camper in 3 years...

3 hours ago, bdm said:

That's why I said it's a lifestyle.  I can stay cheaper at a 4 star condo 5 minutes from Epcot, HS, and downtown Disney or  about the same price you would pay at the Fort for just the site.   And make just as many memories as we did when we rented an RV and stayed at the fort.   Don't get me wrong. I want the RV lifestyle my DW doesn't.  But I've done the numbers dozens of times. When you add in the cost of the RV, gas, maintenance, etc. a family of three or four can vacation cheaper at wdw.  And most places WE like to vacation. 

30 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

That's why I said it's a lifestyle.  I can stay cheaper at a 4 star condo 5 minutes from Epcot, HS, and downtown Disney or  about the same price you would pay at the Fort for just the site.  

Very true, but it's my bed, my recliner and my germs, not somebody else's.  We also have our kitchen, fridge etc.  We can really relax in the FW, something I find very hard to do in any Resort Hotel.

13 minutes ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Very true, but it's my bed, my recliner and my germs, not somebody else's.  We also have our kitchen, fridge etc.  We can really relax in the FW, something I find very hard to do in any Resort Hotel.

Lol. I guess I don't mind other people's germs.  It's definitely easy to relax at the fort.   It feels like home. Maybe that why we like Wyndham bonnet creek. We've stayed there so many times it feels like home to us. We know half the staff there and they always seem happy to see us. 

And it seems like our kitchen. They used the same granite we used in our house. Lol. 

The main reason for us is the animals.  We can take them with us and not have to worry about the exorbitant amount the local boarding facilities charge.  Also, we avoid the animals acting like really strange after being at a boarding facility.

36 minutes ago, bhall said:

The main reason for us is the animals.  We can take them with us and not have to worry about the exorbitant amount the local boarding facilities charge.  Also, we avoid the animals acting like really strange after being at a boarding facility.

My DW would love to take our little dog. But he doesn't travel well. 2 hours in the car is about all he can take.   Fortunately for us my MIL lives with us and she takes care of our dog.  Just curious, but what do they charge at the Disney kennels?

LOL!!  I like how it says it's very easy to drive. I hope you get the damage waiver because you're going to hit something at 8'6 wide, 13' tall and 45 long. Most people couldn't get something like that even parallel to the fuel pumps let alone into the camp site. 

As far as costs for camping, I too have run the numbers over and over and we can tow and stay at the Fort, fly and stay off property or drive the car and stay at POP or similar for around 75 bucks either way.  The savings come with the camper for food and pet care, having our bikes and beach gear etc.  We camp pretty well for a 10k camper and a 20k truck that I own anyway. Not to mention we own them and could sell them. Can't to that with a hotel. 

You don't have to break the bank to do it if you choose clean used equipment.  

21 hours ago, Grumpy and Grandma said:

I so agree!  We've had to stay in a hotel twice in the last month, and it was tough, no matter how nice the rooms were.

• 2 weeks later...

I love camping in my little pop-up. I am much more comfortable there, than in any hotel room. 

We don't just camp at Disney, though, we camp for usually an average of 5-7 days a month, year round. It's my little home away from home and has everything I need, including full kitchen and bathroom. 

Vacations for me are not solely tied to the math. That's a couple weeks a year that it's just about the family. No job stuff.  Thus, the RV lifestyle is preferred (although I've traveled both ways many times).  My reasons are as everyone has already stated. My bed and the pups go with us.  That being said, I still can't wrap my brain around some of these +1M $ rigs.  Wow.

On 3/18/2017 at 6:46 PM, Grumpy and Grandma said:

Very true, but it's my bed, my recliner and my germs, not somebody else's.  

On 3/19/2017 at 4:26 PM, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

I so agree!  We've had to stay in a hotel twice in the last month, and it was tough, no matter how nice the rooms were.

Yep...yep...yep.   Tom has said a couple of times over the past few years, "we could fly out and stay at this hotel".  My response is always: :wacko:

On 3/28/2017 at 2:24 PM, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Yep...yep...yep.   Tom has said a couple of times over the past few years, "we could fly out and stay at this hotel".  My response is always: :wacko:

LOL!  That emoticon is just how I felt in those hotel rooms!  If it hadn't been for the dewinterizing and rewinterizing possibility at home, we'd have looked into campgrounds.  It turned out we made the right decision, even though it was hard.  We've been home 25 days now and we haven't come down with any dreaded diseases, so I guess we survived the hotels.

13 hours ago, CCIntrigue...aka Gwen said:

LOL!  That emoticon is just how I felt in those hotel rooms!  If it hadn't been for the dewinterizing and rewinterizing possibility at home, we'd have looked into campgrounds.  It turned out we made the right decision, even though it was hard.  We've been home 25 days now and we haven't come down with any dreaded diseases, so I guess we survived the hotels.

:lol: