Beauty and the Beast Movie

Well, just took the wife to see the Beast movie tonight.  Pretty well done, and I thought it moved fast for 2 solid hours. Many scenes were hard to tell what was cgi,  real, or animated. Easy for a guy to endure, and I can say I've never seen a classic animated disney movie in my lifetime so you may see something new or something removed but it was all new to me. Glad to understand the story from a first hand perspective.  I give it 3 out of 4 GAG meals. 

37 minutes ago, PGHFiend said:

Well, just took the wife to see the Beast movie tonight.  Pretty well done, and I thought it moved fast for 2 solid hours. Many scenes were hard to tell what was cgi,  real, or animated. Easy for a guy to endure, and I can say I've never seen a classic animated disney movie in my lifetime so you may see something new or something removed but it was all new to me. Glad to understand the story from a first hand perspective.  I give it 3 out of 4 GAG meals. 

We just saw it this afternoon and I agree it was well done.  The cgi was seemless and the performances weren't bad at all.  We weren't sure what to expect with Emma Watson but she was quite good.   

Only one scene seriously struck our funny bone and that was Belle on the top of the hill - looked at each other and said "Julie Andrews, Sound of Music"  - our daughter was not amused!!!

I haven't seen the movie yet, but all of my daughters did over the weekend.  And they all loved it!

It got a bad review from our local paper's film critic, and some bad reviews from the national "experts."  It has a low score on Rotten Tomatoes too.

Then it went out and smashed the box office record for an opening weekend of a PG movie:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/beauty-beast-box-office-5-biggest-records-broken-987221

Some excerpts from the Hollywood Reporter article:

Disney's Beauty and the Beast has enchanted the box office, opening to an astonishing $170 million in North America and $350 million globally, and establishing a number of new box-office records in the process.

Top domestic opening of all time for a film rated PG
The previous record-holder in North America was Pixar/Disney's Finding Dory, which set sail to $135 million in summer 2016. Beauty also scored the top opening of all time for a PG film internationally, where it waltzed to $180 million, led by China ($44.8 million). Next up was the U.K. — Watson's home country — where the pic earned $22.8 million, the fifth biggest for any film and the biggest for a PG title.

This part really surprised me:

Biggest domestic bow in almost a year
No one could have imagined that Beauty would land the biggest North American debut in almost a year, when Marvel/Disney's Captain America: Civil War raked in $179.1 million on its first weekend in early May 2016. And Beauty likewise wasn't expected to best Lucasfilm/Disney's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, which launched in December to $155 million, or take the crown for best March opening by topping Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, which bowed to $166 million over the March 25-27 weekend last year. Beauty also posted the biggest March opening ever in a number of foreign markets, including Mexico ($11.6 million), Germany ($10.7 million) and Spain ($5.8 million).

Disney certainly has the golden touch lately!  Too bad none of these profits ever get invested back into the WDW parks.

TCD

1 hour ago, Helmsey......Todd said:

Anyone in this group have any thoughts on this being appropriate for a 5 year old? Some of the folks my wife has talked to mentioned that the violence might be a bit much for a younger kid.

I used to hate it when people said this, but it really depends on the 5 year old, like just turned 5 vs. almost 6. To me the worst violence is from the wolves attacking (even though to me they were obviously CGI wolves). If a child were afraid of dogs, I could see that being scary.  And when the beast is shot.  It is a dark movie. On the other hand, the songs and dancing would appeal to a 5 year old. I used to prep my kids a lot before "scary" movies by telling them exactly what might scare them. That could go the other way of making them more scared, but it worked for them.  And I LOL that now I ask them what might be too scary/violent for ME in movies they've seen. 

I often used this website when wondering about movies for my kids:

http://www.beliefnet.com/columnists/moviemom/2017/03/beauty-beast-2.html

If a film is questionable I check comments on common sense media and then take their reviews with a huge grain of salt. But it's usually easy to tell from people's reviews if they are whackos and easily offended.

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/beauty-and-the-beast-2017/user-reviews/adult

I used to hate it when people said this, but it really depends on the 5 year old, like just turned 5 vs. almost 6. To me the worst violence is from the wolves attacking (even though to me they were obviously CGI wolves). If a child were afraid of dogs, I could see that being scary.  And when the beast is shot.  It is a dark movie. On the other hand, the songs and dancing would appeal to a 5 year old. I used to prep my kids a lot before "scary" movies by telling them exactly what might scare them. That could go the other way of making them more scared, but it worked for them.  And I LOL that now I ask them what might be too scary/violent for ME in movies they've seen. 

I often used this website when wondering about movies for my kids:

http://www.beliefnet.com/columnists/moviemom/2017/03/beauty-beast-2.html

Thanks for sharing this link. I wasn't aware of it. Even though my girls are teenagers, I still like to check for appropriateness before letting them watch movies. Especially as my older daughter is 16 and has asked about seeing some R rated movies. Heck I even check the PG13 movies as some of those make me uncomfortable at times.

If a film is questionable I check comments on common sense media and then take their reviews with a huge grain of salt. But it's usually easy to tell from people's reviews if they are whackos and easily offended.

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/beauty-and-the-beast-2017/user-reviews/adult

This is one I have bookmarked already.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. DW and I have talked about it and we will likely see it and then decide if the 2 girls will be ok with it. The wolves and the beast getting shot are the scenes we have heard the most about and I think that as long as it isn't gory or detailed it might be ok for them. If nothing else DW and I can have a date night to go see a movie B)

We saw it today and I thought it was a great adaptation to live action film. The worst part of the movie was that I knew the story. Nothing worse than going to a movie when you know what happens next.  3 months before Star Wars the force awakens came out, someone let a script leak out on the web and I did everthing I could to stop myself from reading it. But I did. It was 95% dead on and it ruined the first time seeing it for me. I've stayed away from everything regarding the last Jedi.  

I thought the acting was great in this movie and yes I thought of the sound of music as well and almost thought Julie Andrews was playing the tea pot at the end of the movie but it was Emma Thompson.  I also didn't  realize the actors that were playing all the parts like Ewan Macgregor    Overall a great movie

I still haven't seen the movie, but I did go and see the free preview at DHS over the weekend.

They have Emma Watson's actual dress (allegedly) on display in a case in the waiting area outside of the entrance to the theater.

Be careful where you stand around there:

bab%20dress_zpswqrsycg3.jpg

Oh, and I heard on the radio this weekend that, after only two weeks,  the receipts from the live action film have already exceeded the receipts from the original animated film.

Wow.

TCD

6 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I still haven't seen the movie, but I did go and see the free preview at DHS over the weekend.

They have Emma Watson's actual dress (allegedly) on display in a case in the waiting area outside of the entrance to the theater.

Be careful where you stand around there:

bab%20dress_zpswqrsycg3.jpg

Oh, and I heard on the radio this weekend that, after only two weeks,  the receipts from the live action film have already exceeded the receipts from the original animated film.

Wow.

TCD

And their weekend sales were double the runner up, Power Rangers.

I saw it yesterday with Rachel. At first I thought it was slow and I was getting bored. But then it picked up and I really liked it. I had tried to avoid the preview the best I could, but the one I saw made me fear it was going to just be a remake of the animated one. Thankfully this was not the case. I actually like this one more than the original.

I was talking to my son the other night. He apparently went to see it with one of his friends, his friend's girlfriend and her roommate. He was telling me how much he liked it and how great the music was. This was coming from someone who is not a musical fan and not a huge Disney fan.