There was an announcement made about this on the Disney Parks Blog yesterday.  It seems like very short notice for a pretty significant event (it starts tomorrow):

Disney·Pixar’s “Cars 3” Tour Plans a Pit Stop at Disney Springs

Darcy Clark

by Darcy Clark, Disney Springs Marketing Manager

The third installment of the popular “Cars” film franchise is set to arrive in theatres on June 16th in 3D, but fans can get an early glimpse of the story, which stars longtime favorite Lightning McQueen alongside new characters Cruz Ramirez and Jackson Storm, when the “Road to the Races” nationwide tour kicks off March 23-26, 2017 at Disney Springs Marketplace.

Expect fun activities for the whole family, plus an extended “sneak peek” of the film when the tour rolls into town. While I’m personally most excited for photo opportunities with the three life-size character cars, there are plenty of other ways to enjoy the event.

Alamo Rent A Car will sponsor a giant color mural; Coppertone will encourage guests to take part in a racer pit crew tire-changing activity and a fun photo opportunity; Crest and Oral-B will pass out prizes from the Piston Cup prize wheel (I hope I win a new toothbrush!) and will offer fans the chance to create a digital postcard with Lightning McQueen; at the Dole Refueling Station, you can sample high-octane smoothies; Mattel plans to present an interactive play area; and last, but not least, NASCAR will be on hand to share the history and science behind their iconic brand.

Disney·Pixar’s “Cars 3” Tour Plans a Pit Stop at Disney Springs

During your visit, keep an eye out for “Cars” merchandise and special menu items at select food and beverage locations, plus a DJ dance party with tracks that will make you want to rev up your engine.

Ready to race over to take part in the event? The tour, located at Disney Springs in the former Marketplace Bus Loop near Once Upon A Toy, opens to the public on Thursday, March 23 at 12:00 p.m. and will run until 7:00 p.m. that evening. On Friday, March 24, and Saturday, March 25, join the fun from 11 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. And on the final day, Sunday, March 26, guests can enjoy the experience from 11:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2017/03/disney·pixars-cars-3-tour-plans-a-pit-stop-at-disney-springs/

It's also odd that they are calling this a "pit-stop" for a  "tour," but they don't give any information about where else this "tour" will be stopping.

TCD

I was curious about the tour, so I looked.

This is a pretty big deal-they have their own website, which has all of the details.

http://movies.disney.com/cars-3-tour

The tour schedule is here: http://cdnvideo.dolimg.com/cdn_assets/0b34797439a037b0920d3f2457ad0d4e94a25cbc.pdf

Beckers- they're going to be in Cherry Hill in May 12th-14th.

TCD

11 minutes ago, Travisma said:

It did seem like a very short notice, and not interesting enough to make the drive over and to fight the crowds that will be there.

I am afraid you're right about the crowds, and that may be why they gave such short notice.

Doing all of that in the old Marketplace bus loop sounds like a nightmare to me.

Take a look at the schedule, though, they will have this at Raymond James stadium for one day only on April 4th.  Which is a Tuesday, and a school day.

TCD

Woot!  They are coming to San Antonio.   Seven miles from my house.  I may try to fight the crowds to get a dose of Disney!  Odd that they chose a shopping center with no Disney store,  but they did choose the current, most busy shopping center in the city, which also happens to be across the street from our Six Flags amusement park.

3 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I was curious about the tour, so I looked.

This is a pretty big deal-they have their own website, which has all of the details.

http://movies.disney.com/cars-3-tour

The tour schedule is here: http://cdnvideo.dolimg.com/cdn_assets/0b34797439a037b0920d3f2457ad0d4e94a25cbc.pdf

Beckers- they're going to be in Cherry Hill in May 12th-14th.

TCD

Oh we will be there, happy Mother's Day to me lol! 

The WDWMagic site already has some photos posted from this event:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/disney-springs/news/23mar2017-photos---cars-3-road-to-the-races-now-at-disney-springs.htm

It looks pretty nice.

I wonder how interested kids are going to be see those two new cars from the movie?  Nobody knows who they are.  Where the heck is Mater?

TCD

11 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The WDWMagic site already has some photos posted from this event:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions/disney-springs/news/23mar2017-photos---cars-3-road-to-the-races-now-at-disney-springs.htm

It looks pretty nice.

I wonder how interested kids are going to be see those two new cars from the movie?  Nobody knows who they are.  Where the heck is Mater?

TCD

I really hope there is less mater in this one. I love mater, but I thought cars 2 was terrible since it should been called Mater Bond 007.  Look at me judging a kids movie. As long as the kids liked it who cares.....lol

Oh I hated Cars 2. Hated it. I love the original but Cars 2 was not my thing.

so the company I rent DVC points from, the owner lives in Fl and went to check it out today. Said it's not worth it to make an effort to go and see. I'll still probably take the kids because it's going to be so close to us but it doesn't sound like it's worth driving far for.

And Universal is not taking this lying down.

CARS FROM THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS MAKE A PIT STOP AT UNIVERSAL STUDIOS FLORIDA

Share this post:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Starting March 23 through the end of April, you’ll be able to delve into the world of The Fast and the Furious at Universal Studios Florida. Three cars from Universal Pictures The Fate of the Furious will make their debut in-park in the San Francisco area across from Lombard’s Seafood Grille.

Guests can gear up for the April 14 release of The Fate of the Furious  by snapping a photo of the cars and read up on how they were used in the movie. Then, in 2018, guests will be able to join the Fast family by riding Universal Orlando Resort’s new attraction, Fast & Furious: Supercharged.

Get your pic next to Dom (Vin Diesel)’s Ice Charger, a 1970 Dodge Charger with a high-speed Hellcat V8 engine.

• 1 month later...

I was on the fence about going today. My friend went Friday (she didn't have reservations ) and waited 1.5 hours! I had reservations but was worried it would still be crazy. We got there and the line was pretty big but thankfully because of the reservations we got to walk right in.

We got to watch a trailer for Cars 3. They talked about the movie some, how they visited different places to see different car races (NASCAR vs dirt tracks etc) and showed some clips and at the end showed a "never seen before" clip from the movie. It really looks like a great movie and they said it's bringing back the heart of the original Cars. I'm excited to hear this because I didn't like Cars 2 at all but this one looks great. Both kids enjoyed the clips and we were all impressed with the "movie theater " inside the trailer. It probably held 100 people.

They had 3 cars on display, McQueen and 2 new ones (I don't remember their names) that you could take pictures with. They had it set up pretty decently with spots to stand on and employees to take your pictures. a1a28068ecb4947ad04eacff8459a9ae.jpg6a17b3284544f759353e0bc18c657436.jpg14164dca56be2af0725c0afcfda59f0d.jpg

They had a spot where the kids could color on a mural and then got a small pack of colored pencils

.f45d8b3b84a66a18943d23c7fb643a5c.jpg

They had a picture station with a McQueen backdrop (we skipped it). A spot where they were spinning a wheel and you could win tattoos (big decent ones) a toothbrush or toothpaste (it was sponsored by Crest).

Dole was handing out tiny smoothie samples that we couldn't have because they were made with almond milk. There was also another booth sponsored by Coopertone and the kids could change a "tire" and then have a picture taken that they emailed you. e4aaa1bdf2dcbfc7d7f87d0c9bdbe2a0.jpg

Not exactly high quality

8f33eb1ae843188cccee089f57aa4f11.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was also a station that had paper cars you could cut out and put together. They let you take them home to do because they said it takes about 30 mins to complete. I'm kinda hoping the kids forget about wanting to make them....

The other station they had had a few Cars toys you could play with and an employee was "race" cars down a little hill.

That's all there was, we spent about an hour. I'm glad it was free and close by. Not worth going out of your way or or passing up something better to do.

This was the line when I left, it was insane, it went back and forth a bunch of times. 1be8742c8aea2590f08ad733157dff75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice work, Beckers!

What a way to spend Mother's Day.

It makes me jealous to see everyone in those photos in sweatshirts and jackets.  It was hot and humid in Florida yesterday.

I am curious about what's going to happen in Cars 3. It seems like Mater has been relegated to a minor character.  There's no Mater topiary in the Cars display at this year's Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot. 

TCD