New Mobile Order service to offer on-the-go meal ordering at select locations

A new mobile food ordering service, called Mobile Order, will launch with the opening of Satu’li Canteen in Pandora – The World of Avatar at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and extend to select additional fast casual and quick service restaurant locations throughout Walt Disney World Resort over the next year. Mobile Order offers Guests the added convenience of being able to place orders and purchase meals on-the-go within the My Disney Experience app, allowing them to avoid the line to order and pay when they arrive at the restaurant.

Using the My Disney Experience app, Guests can select menu items, customize their order and pre-pay for their meal. When they arrive at the restaurant they will tap an “I’m here” button in the app, which will notify the kitchen to prepare the meal. When ready, Guests will be alerted through the app to pick up their meal at a designated window.

During the initial launch period, the only form of payment accepted is credit card and no discounts or dining plans will be able to be applied to orders submitted through Mobile Order. Guests requesting to use a discount, dining plan entitlement or have special dietary requests should place their order with a cashier.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, DisneyVampire said:

It's a bit different because it is through the app. BOG you do it there.

I see.  I thought you paid when you pre-ordered at BOG, but I see that you pay when you arrive:

Q. What is order-ahead, or advance-order, dining?

A. This optional complimentary service is available for Guests who have breakfast or lunch reservations at Be Our Guest Restaurant in Magic Kingdom park. When you are within 30 days of your reservation, you’ll see a link on the My Reservations page that takes you to an order form where you can select your entrees, sides, beverages and dessert. There is no need to pay when you place your order, and you may change your selections or cancel the order any time prior to arriving at the restaurant.

The day of your reservation, simply check in at the restaurant, pay for your order, find a table and your food will be delivered to you―like magic!

Learn more about Be Our Guest Restaurant or make a reservation.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/dining-reservations/advance-order-dining/

Obviously, I haven't tried it.

This paying through the App is a first, then.

If it works as advertised, it would be great.

But that's a big if.

TCD

I see.  I thought you paid when you pre-ordered at BOG, but I see that you pay when you arrive:

Q. What is order-ahead, or advance-order, dining?   A. This optional complimentary service is available for Guests who have breakfast or lunch reservations at Be Our Guest Restaurant in Magic Kingdom park. When you are within 30 days of your reservation, you’ll see a link on the My Reservations page that takes you to an order form where you can select your entrees, sides, beverages and dessert. There is no need to pay when you place your order, and you may change your selections or cancel the order any time prior to arriving at the restaurant. The day of your reservation, simply check in at the restaurant, pay for your order, find a table and your food will be delivered to you―like magic!

Learn more about Be Our Guest Restaurant or make a reservation.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/dining-reservations/advance-order-dining/

Obviously, I haven't tried it.

This paying through the App is a first, then.

If it works as advertised, it would be great.

But that's a big if.

TCD

Being where I am at... I know we've been running a bunch of tests on it. If it works, plan on it being at most of the QSRs. It will cut lines down majorly at the QSRs.

5 minutes ago, DisneyVampire said:

Being where I am at... I know we've been running a bunch of tests on it. If it works, plan on it being at most of the QSRs. It will cut lines down majorly at the QSRs.

Again, that's a big if.

The concept sounds great.

It's the execution that worries me.

If the restaurant isn't staffed right, I could see confusion and wait times for pre-orders.

And since you have to pre-pay, you're stuck if you arrive and find a fiasco.

TCD

Seeing what is needed in kitchen staff, I can see where it might be confusing for a bit. But once they get thr pain points hammered out, I see it working. Knowing what type of training needs to go into this, they are expecting for it to be a big thing. I don't be surprised they start 'practicing' for the CM previews and AP previews.

1 minute ago, DisneyVampire said:

Seeing what is needed in kitchen staff, I can see where it might be confusing for a bit. But once they get thr pain points hammered out, I see it working. Knowing what type of training needs to go into this, they are expecting for it to be a big thing. I don't be surprised they start 'practicing' for the CM previews and AP previews.

Is this some type of new business buzz phrase? :huh:

It doesn't seem like it's that difficult of a process.  In every restaurant I work in, post 1990. The kitchen received orders via computer. Either printed ticket or computer screen.  The kitchen would not know the difference between an order taken by the cashier or an online app.  Then the expediter gets the food from the line and clicks a button on a keyboard or monitor alerting you you food is ready.   All they are doing is eliminating the cashier. No biggie. 

I think they're really going to have to try and screw it up. Lol. 

I think it's a great idea for QS restaurants and should help shorten the lines at the counters.   The only thing I can see being a problem is that the lines at the cashier slowed down the process thus allowing people to sit and eat and leave before your food was ready. Now your going to have more people trying to get the limited seat available in restaurants.  

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 8:37 AM, h2odivers...Ray said:

It doesn't seem like it's that difficult of a process.  In every restaurant I work in, post 1990. The kitchen received orders via computer. Either printed ticket or computer screen.  The kitchen would not know the difference between an order taken by the cashier or an online app.  Then the expediter gets the food from the line and clicks a button on a keyboard or monitor alerting you you food is ready.   All they are doing is eliminating the cashier. No biggie. 

But we are not talking about a regular restaurant- we are talking about a WDW quick serve location.

You've seen how it goes there.  Limited menu.  High Volume.  You order from the cashier, then slowly move forward in your chute to the counter where you wait for a CM to plop your tray down.

Where are the guests who pre-ordered going to pick up their food?  What will the line there look like?  You know there's going to be some special cases who stand at the counter and block other guests from picking up their food. 

I'm skeptical that it's going to work well.

TCD

But we are not talking about a regular restaurant- we are talking about a WDW quick serve location.

You've seen how it goes there.  Limited menu.  High Volume.  You order from the cashier, then slowly move forward in your chute to the counter where you wait for a CM to plop your tray down.

Where are the guests who pre-ordered going to pick up their food?  What will the line there look like?  You know there's going to be some special cases who stand at the counter and block other guests from picking up their food. 

I'm skeptical that it's going to work well.

TCD

From what the article said, it will be a different window just like they do the express check in for some of the resorts.

18 minutes ago, DisneyVampire said:

From what the article said, it will be a different window just like they do the express check in for some of the resorts.

Right.  One window for how many guests who pre-ordered?

You've been to a Starbucks, right?

Like I said, you know there will be some extra special guests who will be standing at that window waiting for their order.  You know, because they are extra special?

TCD

Right.  One window for how many guests who pre-ordered?

You've been to a Starbucks, right?

Like I said, you know there will be some extra special guests who will be standing at that window waiting for their order.  You know, because they are extra special?

TCD

In asking around, it will be more than one window. But again trial stages. As for those 'extra special' people. I have ways to get rid of them. ??

14 hours ago, articfox676 said:

How about the special guests who placed their order, go to pick up and need additional items or changes.  How long does this take?  They would be the ones in front of me.  ?

Hey, Me too.  It happens to me more often than not at Starbucks.

And, let's not forget that Disney does a pretty good job with messing up orders.  I can imagine how that will go as guests try to pull up the order on their phones to show the CM at the window what the order was supposed to be.

As I said, the concept sounds great. It's the execution that I'm skeptical about.

TCD

13 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

Hey, Me too.  It happens to me more often than not at Starbucks.

And, let's not forget that Disney does a pretty good job with messing up orders.  I can imagine how that will go as guests try to pull up the order on their phones to show the CM at the window what the order was supposed to be.

As I said, the concept sounds great. It's the execution that I'm skeptical about.

TCD

And don't forget the "extra specials" who hog all the available space, have no clue where they are or why they are in that line, and don't speak a word of english.

26 minutes ago, Travisma said:

And don't forget the "extra specials" who hog all the available space, have no clue where they are or why they are in that line, and don't speak a word of english.

That's exactly what I'm getting at with my Starbucks comment.

Visiting the Starbucks in the Disney parks is always an interesting sociological experience.  The way it works is they have several stations where guests can place their order, and then one pick up counter.  That means that you will have to wait a few minutes for your drink.  The logical thing to do is to hang back away from the pick up counter to let guests get there to pick up their orders when their names are called out.  Very simple.  But every single time, there will be a guest who goes right to the pick up counter immediately after ordering, and stand there blocking the whole thing, waiting for her drink.  It really is amazing to me the people can be so self-absorbed and clueless.

TCD

29 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I know. But I am.  Even after all that I have seen,  it really does amaze me how clueless some people can be.

TCD

Because they live in the Universe of Me.  Everything revolves around them.  If by chance something doesn't pertain to them it's not important and blanked out... like if someone next to them has a heart attack, they won't lift a finger, unless it intrudes into something they are doing then they just move away.

They were taught from an early age that they can do no wrong, and that everyone should bow down and cater to them.

Chick Fil A has an app where you can pre-order and pre-pay. I can't comment on how it works, though, because our Chick Fil A has horrible parking and I'm afraid I will pre-order and pay and then not be able to find a place to park to pick up my order. I do think it's the way of the future, though.