A very interesting article on Magic Bands

I don't expect any special right to privacy when I'm out in the parks so the magic band tracking doesn't bother me. We were tracked, albeit more crudely, before their arrival and will be long after they are replaced by something else. I'm sure Disney tracks all cell phones with their app and likely any that connect to their WiFi networks. What would bother me if I stayed in one of their hotels is the use of RFID room keys or your smart phone. These methods can be hacked to allow a thief to pilfer rooms on a large scale. 

These privacy fearing people need to realize that a cell phone is the most intrusive item we carry. 

I'm currently in talks with Sprectrum Reach for mobile advertising for my business. They know your gender, your address, your income, your preferences, your Internet shopping habits. They geofence affluent neighborhoods, sports stadiums, shopping centers, etc and target ads to the types of people I choose. Privacy is non existent unless you totally unplug. 

1 minute ago, ImDownWithDisney said:

These privacy fearing people need to realize that a cell phone is the most intrusive item we carry. 

I'm currently in talks with Sprectrum Reach for mobile advertising for my business. They know your gender, your address, your income, your preferences, your Internet shopping habits. They geofence affluent neighborhoods, sports stadiums, shopping centers, etc and target ads to the types of people I choose. Privacy is non existent unless you totally unplug. 

Exactly.  If you carry a smart phone, complaining about surveillance from a Magic Band is silly.  

1 minute ago, bhall said:

It needs to be of the "Heavy Duty" variety.  The regular stuff just doesn't cut it.

I double up.

The part I found interesting and why I posted the article is what was mentioned about using some code and a Raspberry Pi to make it perform some tasks.  Also, the part about it not being bluetooth but using the same modulation.

28 minutes ago, bhall said:

The part I found interesting and why I posted the article is what was mentioned about using some code and a Raspberry Pi to make it perform some tasks.  Also, the part about it not being bluetooth but using the same modulation.

Raspberry pie?  Who eats that?  That's a hard pass for me. Apple all the way.

TCD

47 minutes ago, Katman1356...Jason said:

I think that is an overlit and poorly edited picture of a gray band personally. 

That's exactly what I thought as well.

What caught my eye about the MB is that the author of the article said he had taken a recent trip to Disney World, but his photo is of a 1st generation grey MB.  Resort guests and passholders have been getting the 2nd generation MB's since the first of the year. He included a photo of his name engraved on a 1st generation MB, so it has to be a grey one.  That means his trip was prior to January, 2017.  To me that's not a recent trip.

TCD

16 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

That's exactly what I thought as well.

What caught my eye about the MB is that the author of the article said he had taken a recent trip to Disney World, but his photo is of a 1st generation grey MB.  Resort guests and passholders have been getting the 2nd generation MB's since the first of the year. He included a photo of his name engraved on a 1st generation MB, so it has to be a grey one.  That means his trip was prior to January, 2017.  To me that's not a recent trip.

TCD

But it could have been a mb from a previous trip and he was just reusing it. 

Or did he say this was his first trip since they introduced mb?

4 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

But it could have been a mb from a previous trip and he was just reusing it. 

Or did he say this was his first trip since they introduced mb?

The whole premise of the article was how surprised he was that MB's could track him in the parks.  He said it was his first visit to the parks using MB's.

TCD

20 minutes ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

The whole premise of the article was how surprised he was that MB's could track him in the parks.  He said it was his first visit to the parks using MB's.

TCD

I just caught something that he said. 

If he recently went to WDW.  And as you point it out he has a first generation mb. Why in the article does he say "Disney updated the band late last year with the release of the MagicBand 2".   Like you pointed out why wouldn't he have a 2nd gen MB?  

This makes me think he's writing the article without all the correct facts and he is trying to get people to go to the/his website. By making a mountain out of a mole hill. 

57 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I just caught something that he said. 

If he recently went to WDW.  And as you point it out he has a first generation mb. Why in the article does he say "Disney updated the band late last year with the release of the MagicBand 2".   Like you pointed out why wouldn't he have a 2nd gen MB?  

This makes me think he's writing the article without all the correct facts and he is trying to get people to go to the/his website. By making a mountain out of a mole hill. 

Good catch.  I missed him mentioning the 2nd generation MB's.  As I said earlier, I thought the article was too long, and I did skim most of it to see if there was anything truly newsworthy in it.  There wasn't.  Unless you count that I heard about Raspberry Pi for the first time.  Whatever that is.

But, there were a lot of comments on the article.  This guy has a big audience.  Too bad they don't know he's a fraud.

TCD