3 minutes ago, Travisma said:

Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read/see on the interweb... unless it's an alien/UFO sighting, or Bigfoot

Did you read my second post?

but the problem is businesses are limited on the questions they can ask...

"

Q7. What questions can a covered entity's employees ask to determine if a dog is a service animal?

A. In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability."

btw. This comes from ada.org s website. 

Just now, h2odivers...Ray said:

"

Q7. What questions can a covered entity's employees ask to determine if a dog is a service animal?

A. In situations where it is not obvious that the dog is a service animal, staff may ask only two specific questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability."

btw. This comes from ada.org s website. 

I think you were posting as I was.  I saw the first part and was responding when something popped up just as I hit submit

2 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

"

When I worked at Best Buy, they never approached anyone with an animal

I think businesses are more limited/afraid of upsetting someone and losing them as a customer, or having the episode recorded and posted all over social media and having a major media event against them.

Just like the big stink against United last week denying the 2 girls on the plane because of the way they were dressed.  First reports were OMG how dare they.  Then the next reports came out ( buried at the end of the story) that they were flying on standby tickets and were considered airline "employees" and have to follow a dress code.

We fly standby due to my daughters job, and when we first started the dress code was no shorts/jeans/tight or revealing clothing.  it had to be business casual or better.  They relaxed it now and you can wear jeans/shorts, but still not revealing, tight, torn, etc.  It's all spelled out.

6 hours ago, djsamuel said:

Now you ruined my day! Those really get to me.  We were talking to a woman at Epcot with a genuine service dog; and she mentioned how much she dislikes the phony service dogs, especially in the strollers.  She said it hurts people like her who need them since there is so much well deserved suspicion.

I have a good friend who has PTSD and he has a small service dog that help his cope.  I don't get it, but it helps him and if it helps him I support it 100%.

I also have an in-law that is blind and has a service dog that's amazing. 

29 minutes ago, bdm said:

I have a good friend who has PTSD and he has a small service dog that help his cope.  I don't get it, but it helps him and if it helps him I support it 100%.

I also have an in-law that is blind and has a service dog that's amazing. 

Thank your friend for his service.   I'm sure his companion is necessary for his psychiatric well being  

Unfortunately there are people out there that buy a "service dog" vest off of the Internet so they can bring their little doggy with them where ever they go.    It's shameful. 

10 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Thank your friend for his service.   I'm sure his companion is necessary for his psychiatric well being  

Unfortunately there are people out there that buy a "service dog" vest off of the Internet so they can bring their little doggy with them where ever they go.    It's shameful. 

Exactly.  The real service dogs are amazing.  There is an organization for service dogs fighting for increased regulation because they recognize that the phony dogs are making the lives of those who really need one much more difficult.

9 minutes ago, djsamuel said:

Exactly.  The real service dogs are amazing.  There is an organization for service dogs fighting for increased regulation because they recognize that the phony dogs are making the lives of those who really need one much more difficult.

I hope they are able to get some sort of regulation passed to stop this abuse. 

To me it's pretty simple.  States can put an endorsement on your drivers license or ID card.  You take a letter from a doctor to the DMV and you get the endorsement. Or issue a separate state issued card stating you have the right to a service dog.  It doesn't have to say why you need it. Just that you do.   And allow businesses to ask to see the card with the fear of backlash. 

28 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

I hope they are able to get some sort of regulation passed to stop this abuse. 

To me it's pretty simple.  States can put an endorsement on your drivers license or ID card.  You take a letter from a doctor to the DMV and you get the endorsement. Or issue a separate state issued card stating you have the right to a service dog.  It doesn't have to say why you need it. Just that you do.   And allow businesses to ask to see the card with the fear of backlash. 

I've always thought it could be part of the dog's license. I don't know of any municipality that doesn't require dogs to be licensed and wear tags. All they need to do when registering a service dog is to put a special code on the tag to indicate such. This would not only cover the disabled person but people that train the dogs as well.

26 minutes ago, keith_h said:

I've always thought it could be part of the dog's license. I don't know of any municipality that doesn't require dogs to be licensed and wear tags. All they need to do when registering a service dog is to put a special code on the tag to indicate such. This would not only cover the disabled person but people that train the dogs as well.

Great idea.  That would make it harder for the person who's trying to sneak their little poochie on an airplane for free. 

14 hours ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

^this^

The same as when jr. borrows grandma's handicap placard and takes up a handicap space in a parking lot because he feels entitled to do so...even though his grandmother is not with him.  

I find this disgusting.  Shameful. 

3 hours ago, keith_h said:

Agreed.

2 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

^this^

The same as when jr. borrows grandma's handicap placard and takes up a handicap space in a parking lot because he feels entitled to do so...even though his grandmother is not with him.  

I find this disgusting.  Shameful. 

I think they'll give you a ticket if they catch you using someone else's placardI think they'll give you a ticket if they catch you using someone else's placard. 

18 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

The question is, will they give you a ticket if they catch you using someone else's placard?

:lol:

4 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Lol. 

I don't know  

That's why I asked the question after I made the statement. 

In theory... I think so.  But you'd have to get a cop, who has the time to come onto private property, to find the car (that a citizen took the time to call in on) to then wait for the twit to come back to the car, so he/she could be cited. 

As Nacole says the only way someone would get caught is if they are reported and the police prove they are using the tag illegally. I know I just let it be when I see someone using a handicap spot that does not appear to be disabled. The reason is for all I know while they appear normal they could have a heart condition or cancer that gives them a legitimate reason to use the space. 

I took my golden retriever to the mall once.  I didn't have one of them fancy internet vests for him, so I made one out of used napkins from Wendy's.   He blew his cover when all he did was run around smelling people's butts.

On April 5, 2017 at 9:47 AM, shoreline99 said:

My issue is the people that bring MULTIPLE dogs into the park, ostensibly for "training" (like the lady with the multiple poodles). IMHO that goes beyond every possible rule about accessibility and the like. "Train" them somewhere else.

Oh -  I've seen her - the big white poodles - with their pompoms died different colours?   Makes me crazy!!!!