3 hours ago, Travisma said:

Fort Desoto Park, part of the Pinellas County system.  

Myakka River State Park, a little further south than Tampa

Hillsborough River State Park

Lithia Springs Park

Little Manatee River State Park

Edward Medard Park

E.G. Simmons 

Thank you..

1 hour ago, djsamuel said:

Lake Louisa State Park in Clermont has a nice campground, and it is near Disney

Paynes Prairie State park in Gainesville

Anastasia State Park, St Augustine

Thank you.  Funny.... didn't know there was a state park near Gainesville!

48 minutes ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Thank you..

Thank you.  Funny.... didn't know there was a state park near Gainesville!

There are many Florida State Parks in or near Gainesville: http://www.visitgainesville.com/articles/top-6-state-parks

There are some very cool and educational things to see in those parks.

Also in that general area are Rainbow Springs State Park in Dunnellon and Silver Springs State Park in Ocala.  They both have campgrounds, and are on beautiful crystal clear rivers.  Clear like the fake springs at Disney Springs.  But real.

TCD

15 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

There are many Florida State Parks in or near Gainesville: http://www.visitgainesville.com/articles/top-6-state-parks

There are some very cool and educational things to see in those parks.

Also in that general area are Rainbow Springs State Park in Dunnellon and Silver Springs State Park in Ocala.  They both have campgrounds, and are on beautiful crystal clear rivers.  Clear like the fake springs at Disney Springs.  But real.

TCD

Silver Springs was one that we were considering... I think the kids would really enjoy the glass bottom boat.

Just now, djsamuel said:

Lots of wildlife, including bison:

https://www.floridastateparks.org/park/Paynes-Prairie

Yes... the gators however, look like they might be a bit too close for comfort :blink:    

1 hour ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Silver Springs was one that we were considering... I think the kids would really enjoy the glass bottom boat.

Yes... the gators however, look like they might be a bit too close for comfort :blink:    

Just treat the gators the same way you would any other stray animal or person you encounter in a sketchy part of town.  Keep an eye on them, don't approach/corner them.

At least most municipal campgrounds won't have full timers living there with three storage sheds and permanent steps/deck attached to the camper.

1 hour ago, Travisma said:

Just treat the gators the same way you would any other stray animal or person you encounter in a sketchy part of town.  Keep an eye on them, don't approach/corner them.

At least most municipal campgrounds won't have full timers living there with three storage sheds and permanent steps/deck attached to the camper.

Haha... good point ^_^

We really liked both Flamingo Lake and Kathyrn Hannah Abby which are both in Jacksonville.

Camp Gulf was painfully expensive but really nice. Especially being right on the beach (no pets allowed).

Even Peace River in Zolofo Springs, FL was nice. There were some nice things around, but it was a pretty quiet stay for us (early April).

I have friends who really like Three Flags in Wildwood, FL. Peach River, Three Flags, and the TT Orlando (towards Clermont) location are all Thousand Trails parks. I don't know if you're a member or not.

Crystal River is a beautiful area as well as Homossasa we stay at encor in crystal river. This time of year they take passport America we are getting a site for 3 nights for $81and some change and that includes tax. We haven't has passport in a few years but on this rese alone we paid for the membership which is $44 if someone buys it and uses who they know as a referral then the following year they get $10off each referral

5 hours ago, ependydad...Doug said:

We really liked both Flamingo Lake and Kathyrn Hannah Abby which are both in Jacksonville.

Camp Gulf was painfully expensive but really nice. Especially being right on the beach (no pets allowed).

Even Peace River in Zolofo Springs, FL was nice. There were some nice things around, but it was a pretty quiet stay for us (early April).

I have friends who really like Three Flags in Wildwood, FL. Peach River, Three Flags, and the TT Orlando (towards Clermont) location are all Thousand Trails parks. I don't know if you're a member or not.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, LORNADUCK said:

Crystal River is a beautiful area as well as Homossasa we stay at encor in crystal river. This time of year they take passport America we are getting a site for 3 nights for $81and some change and that includes tax. We haven't has passport in a few years but on this rese alone we paid for the membership which is $44 if someone buys it and uses who they know as a referral then the following year they get $10off each referral

We've been PA members before and will be renewing as you can use it for one night at Stone Mtn.  Only one night, but we have 4 trips planned for 2017, so the membership will more than pay for itself.

We are actually going to Manatee Springs SP in January and are going to take a day trip down to the Crystal River area.  Looking forward to that!  Now we have to decide what to do in February, over President's day.  Considered The Fort, but I think February is pricey.  Possibly Tampa/Fort Desoto.

14 hours ago, twiceblessed....nacole said:

Thank you.

We've been PA members before and will be renewing as you can use it for one night at Stone Mtn.  Only one night, but we have 4 trips planned for 2017, so the membership will more than pay for itself.

We are actually going to Manatee Springs SP in January and are going to take a day trip down to the Crystal River area.  Looking forward to that!  Now we have to decide what to do in February, over President's day.  Considered The Fort, but I think February is pricey.  Possibly Tampa/Fort Desoto.

If you visit Crystal River check with the tourist bureau and see if 3 Sisters have manatees.  We went in March and saw 50.  The next 2 days had 150 then 200.

On 4/4/2017 at 11:50 AM, Travisma said:

Fort Desoto Park, part of the Pinellas County system.  

Myakka River State Park, a little further south than Tampa

Hillsborough River State Park

Lithia Springs Park

Little Manatee River State Park

Edward Medard Park

E.G. Simmons 

I'll second Fort Desoto, been there many times. Get a waterfront campsite, bring kayaks/canoe to launch from your site. Bring bicycles for the short ride to the Fort and one of the best beaches in the country. B)

Plan ahead though, the best sites fill up months ahead...   

Just now, Avatab.... Steve said:

I'll second Fort Desoto, been there many times. Get a waterfront campsite, bring kayaks/canoe to launch from your site. Bring bicycles for the short ride to the Fort and one of the best beaches in the country. B)

We stopped at Medard Park on the way back from Blue Springs Park last Sunday.  Sites were decent, some had more woods between each site than others.  We did not see any swimming there, and it's first come, no reservations.  But it was I think $18 a night.

4 hours ago, Travisma said:

If you use FB, there is a Crystal River page.  I get a couple of posts a day from them with things going on.

3 hours ago, Travisma said:

We stopped at Medard Park on the way back from Blue Springs Park last Sunday.  Sites were decent, some had more woods between each site than others.  We did not see any swimming there, and it's first come, no reservations.  But it was I think $18 a night.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Avatab.... Steve said:

Thanks!

Ooh, seeing gators is a plus for me! I look for the gators when we go by there, on the way to Disney (along I-75), and almost always see a couple from the road! We recently stayed at Stephen C Foster state park (in the Okefenokee swamp, in south Georgia). One reason was for the gators and the other reason was the dark skies at nighttime for star-gazing. Didn't get in a canoe there but I might next time. Saw a lot of babies in the canal, and then saw mom - who let us know it was time to move along!

3 hours ago, sherryberry said:

Ooh, seeing gators is a plus for me! I look for the gators when we go by there, on the way to Disney (along I-75), and almost always see a couple from the road! We recently stayed at Stephen C Foster state park (in the Okefenokee swamp, in south Georgia). One reason was for the gators and the other reason was the dark skies at nighttime for star-gazing. Didn't get in a canoe there but I might next time. Saw a lot of babies in the canal, and then saw mom - who let us know it was time to move along!

We were out canoeing years ago, came around a bend and saw baby gators jumping into the water with mama watching from the shore. After they all got in she followed.  Don't ever get between mom and he babies.

On 4/15/2017 at 1:51 PM, sherryberry said:

We've considered that park, for star gazing.  Did you like the CG?  How far off 75 is it?  What about low trees driving in?