And finally, around mid-day, we stroll into Head of Dean Camp.  This area is very scenic, and the tent sites are scattered around in areas similar to this.  At the staffed camps, the scouts can participate in organized activities.  Here, the activity is a team building exercise on an obstacle course.  A great opportunity for the adults to put their feet up and rest their tired bones. And we did. ZmzwXGz_sqnq8GYG1er2_-Sl6kG3Es_dKGmzYqHA

The cabin.

8K_ZxHyYbqVZAY-e9OxP-_euIl06qZGNKFSNOjy1

While we were relaxing here, the chipmunks were running in and out of our pack line trying to find food.  Because of the way everything was packaged, they didn't get any.  However, I had gotten lazy and did not put the bite valve for my hydration bladder inside the pack.  One of the little monsters chewed the silicon mouthpiece to shreds.  Lesson learned, carry an extra one - instead, I got to sanitize mine in boiling water and just deal with it. Every. Time. I. Took. A. Sip. Darn mini bears.

We were not sleeping at this camp, had to head out further down the trail about two miles to Upper Dean Cow.  We arrived before supper time and got set up on a sloping meadow.  Right after this photo was taken, the storm clouds rolled over the hill and dumped on us!  Some of our gear got soaked, but we survived.

Looks like the image won't fit.  Maybe in next post! (edited - Yeah for me, I got it to post!!!)

y9tWntRwvB1p54e0CgM4NJZSWCnjmrONGLnwdnly

Edited by disney4dan
repairing links for pictures
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do not see the photo.  Not on my computer or my phone. TCD

Upper Dean Cow camp had a lot of straw in it, so I assume that a crew on horseback had been through recently.  I awoke before sunrise and went to start packing my bag by headlight. When I looked into the bag I was greeted by four little beady eyes staring back at me. Some field mice had moved in and stuffed the bag with straw.  A lot of it too!

Matt had been feeling a little run down since Baldy Town, but was being a trooper and keeping up.

Well - looks like no photos will link right now. Time for a break and I'll be back later!

UXk57ZI6lct3nriC7EefHIeggdVKuzky7xIUOKgF

A friend on the trail

Bzy7l-4dGU13I80pAx66Z0DPoIJarOp7kqcxjkAp

One of the many solar powered water supplies on the trails. 

kQYZ5Dgb9qB3E7ThxD_CfkSZByNPZZSrl0TwSyiL

LLCKHqB5QUh0gmpF2ntjXY5jXPpB3A5DAqv5ikGg

Edited by disney4dan
8 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

What a great trip.  When I get a chance I need to reread it on my laptop so I can see the pictures.   But you have done such a great job I can visualize most of it. 

Thanks for sharing. I hope it's not over. 

Not over yet if I can keep posting more pictures.

Now we are back down in elevation, trudging our way through this canyon heading for Dean Cow camp.  The weather was sunny and hot.  Almost Florida in August hot. And no shade.

8UQzsfn1tFdhXKtl6skcLhNaaP-FHy2CoxgJu0aS

Matt was beginning to fade again. When we were at Baldy Town I had asked the staff if they had a thermometer to check for a temperature and they did not. Said it would not work at that elevation, and there really wasn't any need. I thought that was odd if you thought a kid was running a fever and they had a practical reply "What would you do if you thought he had a fever?" I said I'd give ibuprofen or Tylenol to bring it down.  So, that was what we were doing, with  the realization that even if he had a fever, he was going to keep walking while he was able!

2TIBbOU_YMSN1uCsiIR7NGklcs71Z5DHRCD-iaBG

Soon we encountered one of the "Red Roof Inns" of a staffed camp (outhouse) as we came upon the first tent sites around Dean Cow Camp.  We would be setting up here for our first rock climbing session.

s7ZSjHuXU2mPm_3Ju1-GoEdmfwPIvl-FZgJ6iDon

Edited by disney4dan

We checked in to Dean Cow.  Our expedition was chosen by the crew based on the opportunity for three rock climbing sessions, including an advanced skill course only open to this expedition number.  They were all stoked for the first session, even though it meant being on a rock cliff face in full sun on a hot day.

nROak4qqLX6UT8RVyUL1WaOV0v8U5vB7qd3ql7kz

The female ranger had no problem keeping their attention while going over the rules.

zrpJp3HK-6H_0WvvaRyQUj3vvDXGSq3G0z-6kTRN

And then off to our site for another hearty meal.  We were really enjoying the level ground at this site after sleeping on slopes for the past three nights.

4OaMqfumPfadySOwGFEKxh1IwBC3EVN0rmASiPfG

The other nice thing about Dean Cow - showers!  Matt's friend grabbed this shot of him chillaxin at the showerhouse building and the reflection in his glasses.

0GXQ-2Wub8vE5hdGlbR3lee0-PKgjymmw_RSGDBf

Edited by disney4dan

Glad it's not over. 

Btw. I was wondering if you are using different websites to post your pictures. I started reading and posting right after the picture of Gary.  I can see the first three pics of your TR and then nothing until Gary. Then they disappear again. But since you responded to my post I see them all. 

Just curious.  Because I can't seem to post pictures with Photobucket anymore.

The pictures I am seeing are stunning.    

July 24 - heading out of Dean Cow early. We have a lot of miles today to get to Harlan where the boys will get a chance to load their own shotgun shells and try some skeet shooting.  And if all goes well, participate in burrow racing after dinner.  Matt did not recover well over night and was still sluggish when we started.  We had a steep uphill climb out of the canyon at sunrise, so one of the adult leaders asked the other scouts to take some of his weight out of his pack so we could make decent time.  The kids stepped up and helped out, knowing that he would need that help if we hoped to make some distance on the trail. 

Q9fkbUfiS_Aup86VGblSUX96B7KyEUltFd55wP9e

iJfusFDj6xVYeJkU05DiI91AmxKrQKthnSPLr_ME

pcymjzw42Vis1D24e-A4JQc1J2u4mK1_3N43Vi-T

Edited by disney4dan

The interesting point of this trail is that you cross under the highway as you head to Harlan camp.  It has developed a reputation because many scouts will call ahead and get pizza delivered to this crossing! The pizza delivery guys will wait for everyone to finish and take the trash back to town (for a hefty tip).  Our boys didn't have the time for it today, we were not making great time.

Cg1pV-EJQgMy86-DbYH5Z9zH7QjNMefuDuIEf6cA

We rolled into Harlan just in time to watch a thunderstorm roll up the canyon.  It poured and the lightning was intensive, all around us. In this photo you can see two adults at the door watching the show while the scouts are loading recycled shotgun shells.  Something scary about being in a shed with gun powder during a lightning storm!

GcU7L-1ML8Lwjob7ADm5Fu9hRrvi90pXEXB6K4rQ

We ended up having to skeet shoot in a complete deluge.  It was cold, wet and windy. But it was cool to see the trail of the shot as it blasted it's way through the rain on the way to a clay pigeon. By the way, some of these kids can handle a shotgun, getting three for three on their shots.

Edited by disney4dan

We didn't get to do any burrow racing. The storm had left the race field a muddy mess and it would not be safe for the animals. Plus, I don't think the rangers wanted to deal with it. We hit the sack early and had to get up to do our three hours of conservation work the next day anyway.  Part of the Philmont experience, and a requirement to get a coveted Philmont patch, is to complete service hours.  Our project was trail building for a new trail out to Vacca. 

Matt and others at the training area. We had to learn how to safely use hand tools.  Those shovels are complicated instruments you know. So, you just pull up a comfy rock for a seat and wait.

-be0YyEPC9OFdAjnS9CaSgUDAE_FSZAJN2j31or2

Building a switchback on the trail.

VG1SWJovHSSkC26Nrkp_YXObb_T_2FO_LcreOXfY

A completed switchback in an area with a great view.  Break time

b6KRGx3I7MOC4zRmvtnqPX8YEemJivs3lyElp5Nx

One of the kids got creative

LMznyvQ5GSHtvv4rclxQlFq6u2mDrxO9ZfgsQqJ_

Edited by disney4dan
35 minutes ago, h2odivers...Ray said:

Glad it's not over. 

Btw. I was wondering if you are using different websites to post your pictures. I started reading and posting right after the picture of Gary.  I can see the first three pics of your TR and then nothing until Gary. Then they disappear again. But since you responded to my post I see them all. 

Just curious.  Because I can't seem to post pictures with Photobucket anymore.

The pictures I am seeing are stunning.    

I have been using mostly Google photos since yesterday, as Photobucket was giving my machine heartburn.  I was seeing the same issue with photos last night on my phone, but today on the desktop I get to see all of them. I  hope they all show up eventually, this is a lot of effort if they aren't showing! Can you see the pictures from today?

1 hour ago, disney4dan said:

I have been using mostly Google photos since yesterday, as Photobucket was giving my machine heartburn.  I was seeing the same issue with photos last night on my phone, but today on the desktop I get to see all of them. I  hope they all show up eventually, this is a lot of effort if they aren't showing! Can you see the pictures from today?

I'm getting about half of the pictures.  But the ones I'm getting are awesome  

It might just be my iPhone  

My DD has my iPad and I bought a new laptop so my son has it and the old computer and is transferring stuff from the old to the new computer.  When he brings it over this afternoon I'll check and see if I can see them in the puter. 

So, we finish our service hours on the trail and head on out to the next camp.  The problem with the next camp is that it is supposed to be a dry camp (no water) and we are supposed to carry 4 gallons of water to get us through to the next point. Instead, we decide to hike on in and plan to send some scouts off to a nearby well that is a mile away once we set up camp.  Don't you just love plans?  They always work out, right?

On to our next camp, Devil's Wash Basin (cue scary music now).

3CTAn5RLuNTpPTenHjeXfkcb8Bl63OU1omC10RFf

As you can see, the boys are dragging today. Lots of miles, lots of heat, muscles are sore.  But on we go. We are rewarded with a great view down into Ute Gulch (our destination tomorrow). The storm clouds are building and we need to hustle to camp.

(Looks like that is all I can add for photos today! Will pick up editing here when I get back!)

EBigzCWFpV1KShS-PS_QxSQSMmZ_TDBv0CW-rsO-

Looks like we are going to have company in this area - bears have been seen!  This area is not much more than a large puddle with a lot of green algaie in the pond.  But it is scenic.  We set up camp just in time for the downpours.  So we took a nice long nap in our tents and got our energy back!

Edited by disney4dan
9 hours ago, disney4dan said:

I can't see a lot of the pictures.  Just curious, but are you copying and pasting the URL from Google Photos into here?  Are you adding "?.jpg" on the end of each URL?  Because that's what I have to do in the last several months or so since Google transitioned away from PIcassa to Photos.  A bit of a pain but if I add the ?.jpg to the end it works.  

46 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I can't see a lot of the pictures.  Just curious, but are you copying and pasting the URL from Google Photos into here?  Are you adding "?.jpg" on the end of each URL?  Because that's what I have to do in the last several months or so since Google transitioned away from PIcassa to Photos.  A bit of a pain but if I add the ?.jpg to the end it works.  

I'll have to try that!

Testing the file name issue with this.

Now it is not even letting me add photos like it did earlier today.

I did try adding .jpg to the end of the link while in Google photos and it would not let me do it there. Tried putting the link into the "insert image from URL" on this page and it let me add the extension, but it's not linking the photo either way now.

I'll give it a try in the morning.  What is frustrating is that I can see the photos when I log in on my desktop, but not on my tablet or phone right now.  I was able to see them on my phone earlier today.

5 minutes ago, disney4dan said:

Testing the file name issue with this.

Now it is not even letting me add photos like it did earlier today.

I did try adding .jpg to the end of the link while in Google photos and it would not let me do it there. Tried putting the link into the "insert image from URL" on this page and it let me add the extension, but it's not linking the photo either way now.

I'll give it a try in the morning.  What is frustrating is that I can see the photos when I log in on my desktop, but not on my tablet or phone right now.  I was able to see them on my phone earlier today.

Did you include the question mark?  It has to be ?.jpg added to the end of the URL when you paste into the "insert image from URL" option.  

I really hope you can fix the pictures -- I can only see them in 2 posts -- because all 3 of my sons were at Philmont last July !  From around the 9th to the 22nd. They all loved it and it was an excellent experience for them. It was the second time for the older one and he begged to go back. I've never been to New Mexico, or Colorado (they flew into Denver and took a bus to Philmont) so I'm jealous of the opportunities I've provided for them. 

I never got to go, either. I went to the national jamboree but not Philmont.

My son went in 2015, he still talks about it regularly. It was very impactful on his outlook on life and I believe he wrote both his NHS and his college essays about it.

He has his Eagle board of review tonight, so not to threadjack but send a little good vibes his way around 7:30.

4 hours ago, shoreline99 said:

My son went in 2015, he still talks about it regularly. It was very impactful on his outlook on life and I believe he wrote both his NHS and his college essays about it.

He has his Eagle board of review tonight, so not to threadjack but send a little good vibes his way around 7:30.

I hope your son had a good review. My older son is an Eagle and my other two are on their way. They are so fortunate to have an excellent scout troop that has provided them with a lot of opportunities. I was a girl scout and recognize the impact it had on my life (during the middle school girl drama years it was a lifesaver to me to have my girl scout friends and activities to give me self confidence). 

And my older son wrote his college essay about his experience at another boy scout high adventure -- Sea Base in the Florida Keys. He went once for scuba and once spending a week on a boat, with a visit to Key West. 

On 4/9/2017 at 9:26 PM, DaveInTN said:

Did you include the question mark?  It has to be ?.jpg added to the end of the URL when you paste into the "insert image from URL" option.  

Trying that next!  If not that, then maybe load all the photos to a different sharing site?  My Photobucket account isn't an option

16 hours ago, Seals said:

I really hope you can fix the pictures -- I can only see them in 2 posts -- because all 3 of my sons were at Philmont last July !  From around the 9th to the 22nd. They all loved it and it was an excellent experience for them. It was the second time for the older one and he begged to go back. I've never been to New Mexico, or Colorado (they flew into Denver and took a bus to Philmont) so I'm jealous of the opportunities I've provided for them. 

I am so glad that they got to go, and you should definitely go out there with them sometimg, even if to someplace other than Philmont!

16 hours ago, Tri-Circle-D said:

I can only see a few of the photos too.

I would love to see them all.  I was heavily involved in Scouting, but never made it to Philmont. Several of my friends got to go, and I know that I would have loved it.

I assume those leather belts and big buckles are still a thing?

TCD

Those belts are a big thing, and if I can get this to work correctly, I have a cool tie in to an historic visit.

13 hours ago, shoreline99 said:

I hope that his review went well!

8 hours ago, Seals said:

I hope your son had a good review. My older son is an Eagle and my other two are on their way. They are so fortunate to have an excellent scout troop that has provided them with a lot of opportunities. I was a girl scout and recognize the impact it had on my life (during the middle school girl drama years it was a lifesaver to me to have my girl scout friends and activities to give me self confidence). 

And my older son wrote his college essay about his experience at another boy scout high adventure -- Sea Base in the Florida Keys. He went once for scuba and once spending a week on a boat, with a visit to Key West. 

It is an amazing place!

My weekdays are super busy right now, so let me try this one photo to see if I get it right before I launch into a complete rebuild of this TR!

You should be viewing a photo of the boys checking out a lizard.  They really wanted to see a rattlesnake while out there. Lucky for us, that didn't happen.

_vseeoeoiZ9IqdCDKjBAMdMfFu32VlaJB_h-gwcq