• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do not see the photo.  Not on my computer or my phone. TCD

43 minutes ago, disney4dan said:

My weekdays are super busy right now, so let me try this one photo to see if I get it right before I launch into a complete rebuild of this TR!

You should be viewing a photo of the boys checking out a lizard.  They really wanted to see a rattlesnake while out there. Lucky for us, that didn't happen.

_vseeoeoiZ9IqdCDKjBAMdMfFu32VlaJB_h-gwcq

I can see!  I can see!

4 hours ago, disney4dan said:

My weekdays are super busy right now, so let me try this one photo to see if I get it right before I launch into a complete rebuild of this TR!

You should be viewing a photo of the boys checking out a lizard.  They really wanted to see a rattlesnake while out there. Lucky for us, that didn't happen.

_vseeoeoiZ9IqdCDKjBAMdMfFu32VlaJB_h-gwcq

I do not see the photo.  Not on my computer or my phone.

TCD

4 hours ago, shoreline99 said:

His review went very well, and we officially have another Eagle Scout in the family. Pretty awesome. 

And yes, he wore his big a$$ philmont belt and buckle to his board of review for luck. 

Congratulations to both of you!

On 04/12/2017 at 7:19 AM, shoreline99 said:

His review went very well, and we officially have another Eagle Scout in the family. Pretty awesome. 

And yes, he wore his big a$$ philmont belt and buckle to his board of review for luck. 

Congratulations! Matt is at Life Scout and needs to get moving!

Had about ten kids over last night for a campfire, all good kids and three of them scouts. I was headed to bed before them, and my wife was wondering if it was safe to leave the fire going while we slept. I figure four scouts was enough coverage to be sure it was out properly. There are several kids sleeping in the living room now. I wonder why I'm so busy?  I promise to edit this TR soon. Off to bring my daughter somewhere soon, then out to get rental vans for our troops trip to Gettysburg on Monday.

On 4/8/2017 at 6:14 PM, NJBruce said:

Went to Philmont in 2008 with my son. One of the best times I've ever had. He is married with kids now and still has map of our trek on wall of living room. Hoping to go back with the grandkids.

I have 2 sets of the maps, one untouched and the other marked up showing the trek we did.  Those are going in a box to be saved for years to come.  I'm curious about which camps you did and which sites you got to see?  There is so much that can be done at Philmont. I bet you are as glad as I am that you got to spend time in scouts with your son.  The time I have spent with Matt in scouts has been a great time during what can be a really turbulent time with teenagers. Best position I was ever "volunteered" to do.

On 4/9/2017 at 7:07 AM, dblr....Rennie said:

My son did Philmont about 9 years ago and had a great time, they even fit a whitewater rafting trip on a section of the river called the racecourse, funny thing is he now lives in the Taos area so he must have really liked it out there. We drove out last year with the rv to visit and drove thru Cimmaron and some of the worst storms of our whole trip and all we thought about were the boys out there hiking.

The rivers in the mountain area are so different than they are in New England.  They can be just a trickle one minute and then a raging river the next.  There was a scout death in 2015 due to a thunderstorm unloading for a few hours in the mountain peaks while kids were sleeping in the their tents in the canyons below.  One scout in a crew at Indian Writings camp did not get out of his tent  in time, the river went from a few inches deep to 25 feet deep and 200 yards wide.  I don't bring that up to be a downer, but to mention that the rest of the crew spent the next day finding him, and then voted to continue their trek in his honor.  I don't know if I would have had the energy after that.  

10 hours ago, disney4dan said:

The rivers in the mountain area are so different than they are in New England.  They can be just a trickle one minute and then a raging river the next.  There was a scout death in 2015 due to a thunderstorm unloading for a few hours in the mountain peaks while kids were sleeping in the their tents in the canyons below.  One scout in a crew at Indian Writings camp did not get out of his tent  in time, the river went from a few inches deep to 25 feet deep and 200 yards wide.  I don't bring that up to be a downer, but to mention that the rest of the crew spent the next day finding him, and then voted to continue their trek in his honor.  I don't know if I would have had the energy after that.  

My son arrived a day or two after that happened in 2015, and his crew ran into the crew that lost a scout getting re-outfitted to go back out.

We (the parents at home) found out about it while they were traveling there and no one wanted to say anything to the scouts, and the scouts found out about it when they got to Philmont and no one wanted to say anything to the parents at home lest they miss their opportunity.