Hi, fiends, I'm baaack. You didn't steer me wrong last time, so I thought I'd ask folks' opinions on the fort in the second week of December. 

(I'm feeling deja vu so if I have asked before, I apologize humbly. Pretty sure I asked something similar on disboards though, not here). 

Here's the debate: I love the idea of camping at FW around Christmas. But I also sort of want to hit some seasonal stuff in NYC on my way home. The difference between the values and the fort is about 38 bucks a night. I would prefer to camp. The fort is the main reason I'm considering WDW over LA. However, if I camp, my checked luggage will have to be dedicated to my gear. The question is: how much of my wardrobe can serve double duty in both Florida and NYC? Is Orlando likely to be shorts/tshirt weather? I know what NYC is like. Definitely hat/glove/scarf weather. I'm thinking I could probably wear tennis shoes in both places but I'm not positive. 

If if you don't remember me...I was at the Fort in July last time. Very hot, humid, and wet. Winter in Florida sounds glorious in comparison. 

(Potentially stupid question: are the buses heated? Are the queues heated or do they just turn the A/C off? I could see the biggest issue may be standing in line- I went to Paris in January, and I probably should have layered more for my DLP day, because standing in line was what made me coooold). 

Thanks!!

Welcome back.   

We have gone to WDW almost Every Christmas for the last 10+ years. And only once did we need more than a light coat for a day or two.  Most of the time I'm wearing shorts and a short sleeved shirt.  But I'm warm natured. But occasionally I'll wear a pair of jeans if it gets cool at night 

I'm sure the buses have heaters but more than likely they won't be needed.   

Can it get cold in December?  Sure but not usually.   And more than likely you won't need any of your winter clothes while your there.   

I think it's also a matter of what you are conditioned to. In December you will see people using the pool at the same time you'll see others in long pants and jackets. And the weather is changeable. 2 years ago for Christmas it was very hot. A couple years before that we needed hats and mittens at night. Best bet is to pack layers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

43 minutes ago, DaveInTN said:

I think it's also a matter of what you are conditioned to.

This.

When the kids were young we used to go down there regularly in early January. My brother would apologize for the sixty degree weather and be in long pants a spring/fall type jackets. We are from the northern South where our daytime temps are  in the forties to low fifties that time of year and would wear short sleeve shirts and summer pants/shorts.  We have also been there for heat waves in the 80's. So anything you take for NYC should cover you a cool WDW trip but you should still plan on summer attire.

Have you thought about packing up the extra winter clothes in a box for the plane and when you are done with WDW sending your camping gear home in that box to make room in your luggage?

We have lived in Tampa since 78 and have seen every type of weather in December.  

Last year we had the A/C on Christmas Day. That has been the norm most of the fall/winter for the last few years.  Maybe not having to run the A/C but warm to hot most of the months.

15 years or so ago  Christmas Day we had rolling brownouts because of a cold snap and the power companies couldn't keep up with the demand.

One December we had an ice encrusted chain link fence.

But, our cold snaps usually last 2 to 3 days tops.

I'm in shorts, crocs and t-shirts most of the year.  When it gets real cold it's socks in the crocs and a vest.

Pack layered clothing.  A lightweight raincoat type of jacket (like a Frogg Tog) combined with a vest should be good for Fl and a mild NYC.

Knit watch cap doesn't take up much room, and you can look like a hipster to boot!

Bring a couple of pairs of shorts, couple of short sleeved shits/blouses and a couple of jeans/long pants.

Just now, Tri-Circle-D said:

Fireflies?

In Florida?

No way.

TCD

Tons of them!

I tried taking pictures, not the easiest thing.  I have some blurry, dark photos with spots of light in them that are the fireflies.

They had guided tours on weekends during March and up to April 7, but we saw a lot on our own outside of our cabin and walking thru the woods to the boardwalk.

Our camp neighbors had gone on the tour the night before and the guide explained why they're found in certain areas and not others.

Too much light pollution in most of the urban/suburban areas plus a loss of forests and undergrowth.

Wish mosquitoes would follow those guidelines!

4 hours ago, keith_h said:

This.

When the kids were young we used to go down there regularly in early January. My brother would apologize for the sixty degree weather and be in long pants a spring/fall type jackets. We are from the northern South where our daytime temps are  in the forties to low fifties that time of year and would wear short sleeve shirts and summer pants/shorts.  We have also been there for heat waves in the 80's. So anything you take for NYC should cover you a cool WDW trip but you should still plan on summer attire.

Have you thought about packing up the extra winter clothes in a box for the plane and when you are done with WDW sending your camping gear home in that box to make room in your luggage?

Good to know. I tend to run hot. It's running 50-60 here and on sunny days that's shorts and Birkenstock weather. I had thought about shipping stuff home- but is there a post office on property? Also, my chief problem with that is the suitcase. I literally only use it when I'm flying and camping. That's the bit I'd love to ship but I'm suspecting it's impossible or very, very costly.

Travisma- I feel you've got to accessorize make that look work. Maybe plaid socks with a  Hawaiian shirt? It'll make the crocs really pop.

thanks, everyone! Enjoying the firefly talk!

Shipping suitcases is certainly possible, I shipped two  very heavy large cases internationally last year. So you should certainly be able to ship domestically. https://www.sendmybag.com/quote I've no idea if they'll collect from FW though.

On the topic of the weather I've spent two Decembers in Florida, the first was 2014 when we were visiting family. Going to the beach December 26th, you could easily tell who was from out of state. There was a mix of people sunbathing, and people in winter coats.  My inlaws were hiding under a blanket until giving up and going back to the car. 

22 minutes ago, slices said:

Shipping suitcases is certainly possible, I shipped two  very heavy large cases internationally last year. So you should certainly be able to ship domestically. https://www.sendmybag.com/quote I've no idea if they'll collect from FW though.

On the topic of the weather I've spent two Decembers in Florida, the first was 2014 when we were visiting family. Going to the beach December 26th, you could easily tell who was from out of state. There was a mix of people sunbathing, and people in winter coats.  My inlaws were hiding under a blanket until giving up and going back to the car. 

Omg if only I had know about that service a few months ago!! My opinion of the Italian postal service is not a favorable one and so expensive to boot! Thanks! (How did it work for you? Where did they collect your bags?)

1 hour ago, Westcoastwild said:

Good to know. I tend to run hot. It's running 50-60 here and on sunny days that's shorts and Birkenstock weather. I had thought about shipping stuff home- but is there a post office on property? Also, my chief problem with that is the suitcase. I literally only use it when I'm flying and camping. That's the bit I'd love to ship but I'm suspecting it's impossible or very, very costly.

Travisma- I feel you've got to accessorize make that look work. Maybe plaid socks with a  Hawaiian shirt? It'll make the crocs really pop.

thanks, everyone! Enjoying the firefly talk!

I have a couple of Disney ones with characters on surf boards and a couple of tie died ones.  Those are my work shirts.

After hours are T's of various designs.

No plaid socks, just black anklets.

What are you using to get to NYC?  No suitcase?

There is mail delivery and should have pickup at the Fort, but USPS might drop and pickup at one central mail room location like they do for a university.

The closest PO that I can think of is on Turkey Lake Rd. There is one in Celebration also.

But boxing and sending a suitcase will be pricey.

1 hour ago, Westcoastwild said:

Omg if only I had know about that service a few months ago!! My opinion of the Italian postal service is not a favorable one and so expensive to boot! Thanks! (How did it work for you? Where did they collect your bags?)

The service worked out great for me.  I had already shipped  the big stuff out and the plan was what was left would go in cases with us  when we moved across the Atlantic. I under estimated what was left, hence using this service. Once  we realized they weren't being taken in checked baggage, I crammed more stuff in. I  left the cases at my Mum's house,  requested the service online the night before we left for the airport and they were picked up and turned up in Florida a few days later. I think it was actually fedex that delivered them, they just had a label stuck to the cases. The biggest problem was that I couldn't actually remember what I'd put in which case. This was obviously residential addresses but pretty sure their website says they'll pick up from 'hotels'.

2 hours ago, Travisma said:

I have a couple of Disney ones with characters on surf boards and a couple of tie died ones.  Those are my work shirts.

After hours are T's of various designs.

No plaid socks, just black anklets.

What are you using to get to NYC?  No suitcase?

There is mail delivery and should have pickup at the Fort, but USPS might drop and pickup at one central mail room location like they do for a university.

The closest PO that I can think of is on Turkey Lake Rd. There is one in Celebration also.

But boxing and sending a suitcase will be pricey.

Well, I've got to say that I love your workplace dress code!

New York, I'll probably be staying in a hostel and possibly going down to Philly for part of it on the train. The hostel has laundry and I care less about dressing up than staying warm. The suitcase becomes more of an expensive PITA at that point, because it's not carryon size- I'd have to check it. So not much of a point of shipping the contents home when I'll be paying checked baggage fees for that anyway, plus dragging it to and from the airport. It's a lot easier to take transit without a suitcase that size! 

2 hours ago, slices said:

The service worked out great for me.  I had already shipped  the big stuff out and the plan was what was left would go in cases with us  when we moved across the Atlantic. I under estimated what was left, hence using this service. Once  we realized they weren't being taken in checked baggage, I crammed more stuff in. I  left the cases at my Mum's house,  requested the service online the night before we left for the airport and they were picked up and turned up in Florida a few days later. I think it was actually fedex that delivered them, they just had a label stuck to the cases. The biggest problem was that I couldn't actually remember what I'd put in which case. This was obviously residential addresses but pretty sure their website says they'll pick up from 'hotels'.

Lol. I shipped two things home. Ornaments form Christmas German markets, a bunch of stuff I didn't need once I reached Rome. I had everything boxed up and the postal service kept asking what was in each box. Then getting it at home a few weeks later was like shipping Christmas gifts for myself- I couldn't even remember everything that I had bought:P

We normally spend the first or second week of December at the Fort, like everyone else has said the temps can range from hot to cold and bounce around a lot. There have been years we've been in shorts and t-shirts the entire trip and years we've bought hats and gloves to stay warm in the parks at night. 

If the luggage shipping place won't pick up from the Fort I would give FedEx a call. I've had them pickup, box and ship things that we had forgotten in a hotel. I don't remember how it worked but I know I called them they went to the hotel with a box, then printed the label there and shipped it to us. If you could get all your NY stuff in a carry-on and your camping in something you could have shipped home that would save you having to drag the camping stuff to NY. 

It's a great time of year at the Fort and Disney. There are usually lots of sites already decorated, and the crowds in the parks are usually lower. December 2nd-9th is when the Pop Warner kids will be there, we have never had any problems with them (maybe some random groups cheering sometimes) but from what we've experienced most are well behaved.